RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Someone in the reluctor/tone wheel discussion mentioned they had bought one when the recall came out to keep on the shelf, just in case. Smart idea. What other parts are people keeping on the shelf just in case?

My truck is getting the reluctor/tone wheel installed now. I'm thinking to assemble a backup package for another tone wheel replacement (I have the flex plate bolts and wiring clip package). Also, the HPFP issue sounds like it's coming up. Looks like buying the parts to that would be a few thousand so I am hesitant to have that on the shelf while waiting for the "real" fix.

What else is a smart idea to have laying around?

Thanks

· Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
520 Posts
Hey All,

Someone in the reluctor/tone wheel discussion mentioned they had bought one when the recall came out to keep on the shelf, just in case. Smart idea. What other parts are people keeping on the shelf just in case?

My truck is getting the reluctor/tone wheel installed now. I'm thinking to assemble a backup package for another tone wheel replacement (I have the flex plate bolts and wiring clip package). Also, the HPFP issue sounds like it's coming up. Looks like buying the parts to that would be a few thousand so I am hesitant to have that on the shelf while waiting for the "real" fix.

What else is a smart idea to have laying around?

Thanks
If you are having the reluctor wheel replaced it should be with a redesigned part so buy another one if it makes you feel good (if you can find one)
Are you gonna do the HPFP yourself? If not then why buy it? Wait for the recall...
A Cummins in the driveway would be nice, those Tundras are just too ugly for me ;)

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are having the reluctor wheel replaced it should be with a redesigned part so buy another one if it makes you feel good (if you can find one)
Are you gonna do the HPFP yourself? If not then why buy it? Wait for the recall...
A Cummins in the driveway would be nice, those Tundras are just too ugly for me ;)
So if it fails before they have the redesigned part, I don't have it sitting on the lot for months like others in the forum.

· Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
520 Posts
So if it fails before they have the redesigned part, I don't have it sitting on the lot for months like others in the forum.
As far as I know all of the tone wheels are the redesigned part to replace the defective ones. There is no redesigned HPFP that you can currently purchase to my knowledge.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
There is a case to be made for "cheap insurance", but paying thousands for the old design that's under recall against a very low chance of failure is expensive insurance. If they're in stock for you to buy now, they'd probably be in stock if yours failed.

Reactions: keiths487too

· Registered
1,824 Posts
It wasn't too long ago that finding much less paying a reasonable price for the proper Shell Rotella T6 Oil and OEM filters was frustrating. Having a stockpile is a good thing just ask our bud @biodiesel .

· Registered
4,323 Posts
It wasn't too long ago that finding much less paying a reasonable price for the proper Mobil Oil and OEM filters was frustrating. Having a stockpile is a good thing just ask our bud @biodiesel .
Yeah, I've always been one for stocking up, especially when I find good deals. Sometimes it pays off. I just bought 3 years' worth of oil for my 2020. It came out to be $2.85 per quart.

· Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
349 Posts
A Toyota Tundra. :D
I was going to suggest a fire extinguisher or extra fuel depending where you're at on your Eco 😬 😂 😂

· Registered
4,323 Posts
Lift pump......I'm on my second at almost 285,000kms
Are you saying you've replaced the pump twice (three pumps total if you include the factory pump)?

· Registered
4,323 Posts
What other parts are people keeping on the shelf just in case?
I don't think there's anything wrong with having backup parts waiting on a shelf. But I sometimes think it might be more effective to replace parts as preventative measure instead of waiting for a failure.

I've got a 2015 with 111,000 miles. I'm still covered under the AEM warranty; therefore, I haven't collected any parts yet. Fortunately for me, my tone wheel failed as I was on my way to the dealer for the air bag recall, so that was perfect timing. I've seen a lot of water pumps needing to be replaced in the 90,000 - 120,000-mile range, so that's not a bad thing to have on hand, just make sure you have all the o-rings.

Those who plan to keep their trucks for the long haul (20+ years) probably could benefit from buying parts and saving for expensive repairs (replacement engine, transmission, differential rebuild, etc.).

I have two brand new intakes at home that I bought for cheap. Eventually, I will look at buying a new DPF, a variety of sensors, glow plugs, lift pump, etc. Here's been my cost of ownership since the warranty expired. So far, I haven't used the AEM warranty.

DateMileagePart DescriptionPart #Cost
02/11/2192,313 milesWater Pump68211202ABWarranty
08/10/2196,304 milesFront Shocks

Rear Shocks

Labor
Bilstein 24-187343
4600 series
Bilstein 24-187350
4600 series
Labor
$204.00 per pair

$152.00 per pair