RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler appears to have a parts availability issue for the EcoDiesel. Anyone else experience long delays?

On January 22nd I discovered a fuel leak .. fuel was being sprayed all over the engine compartment when the engine was running. Apparently a mouse built a nest on top of the battery and chewed through the fuel line(s).

I had the truck towed to the closest authorized and certified Chrysler dealer (82 miles) at $5/mile .. ouch! I filed a claim with FCA roadside assistance .. waiting to see if they will pony up. The Chrysler service department diagnosed correctly .. rodent damage to the fuel and fuel return line. Estimated availability for the needed part was projected at 4-5 weeks. They put in an expedited order for the part with FCA but would not guarantee any delivery time.

I contacted FCA customer service and harangued them over the lack of parts availability. They put a case manager on the issue and promised to work on the issue.

On February 11th, the needed part arrived at the service facility and on February 12th I picked up the truck. Three week delay on the clock.I asked if the part would be free of charge due to the delay .. ha, ha, ha .. how about $300 with a 10% courtesy discount?

Is it reasonable to wait 3+ weeks for parts?

P.S. This was my first incident with the truck and it is now almost 1 year old .. no other issues so far.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Chrysler appears to have a parts availability issue for the EcoDiesel. Anyone else experience long delays?

On January 22nd I discovered a fuel leak .. fuel was being sprayed all over the engine compartment when the engine was running. Apparently a mouse built a nest on top of the battery and chewed through the fuel line(s).

I had the truck towed to the closest authorized and certified Chrysler dealer (82 miles) at $5/mile .. ouch! I filed a claim with FCA roadside assistance .. waiting to see if they will pony up. The Chrysler service department diagnosed correctly .. rodent damage to the fuel and fuel return line. Estimated availability for the needed part was projected at 4-5 weeks. They put in an expedited order for the part with FCA but would not guarantee any delivery time.

I contacted FCA customer service and harangued them over the lack of parts availability. They put a case manager on the issue and promised to work on the issue.

On February 11th, the needed part arrived at the service facility and on February 12th I picked up the truck. Three week delay on the clock.I asked if the part would be free of charge due to the delay .. ha, ha, ha .. how about $300 with a 10% courtesy discount?

Is it reasonable to wait 3+ weeks for parts?

P.S. This was my first incident with the truck and it is now almost 1 year old .. no other issues so far.
No, buts that's how it is and probably not going to change for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No 3 weeks isn't acceptable for waiting on parts. I have a Ford work truck and if the dealership doesn't have a part in stock it takes about 4-7 days to get a necessary part.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
No 3 weeks isn't acceptable for waiting on parts. I have a Ford work truck and if the dealership doesn't have a part in stock it takes about 4-7 days to get a necessary part.
Three weeks is unacceptable, but then 7 days is ridiculous too. I speculate that the reason for this is that parts on the shelf reduce the profits that stock holders demand.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It really doesn't make any sense, because there not giving the parts for free and you can't sell parts for profit if you don't have them in stock and making owners wait for parts only brings speculation to the table of future ownership of a FCA product.
I believe there main parts supply warehouse is in Atlanta the main airport hub of the USA so basically any part should be a couple days.:confused:

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Effect of Reducing Inventory

When inventory investment is reduced on an income statement, it results in lowering the cost of goods sold. In turn, the net income before taxes will increase by the same amount. For example, a $10 reduction in inventory will result in a $10 increase in net income. For every dollar in inventory reduction, there is a corresponding rise in net income by the same dollar amount.

How Does Reducing Inventory Affect the Income Statement? | Chron.com

If you are trying to sell the corporation, or merge, this can be a useful tactic to increase profits. Eventually, it will alienate customers and have a negative effect.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Atlanta is a regular distribution center like the one I work at in Oregon. I believe there are 13 or 14 around the country. The national distribution centers are in Michigan and Wisconsin. Virtually everything we receive comes from Nationals.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Leehunt 19 Thanks for clarifying about the parts supply line ,Myself I've never had an issue getting any part and I read these post about parts shortages do you have parts shortages where your working also ? Because I'm wondering if some of the issues are just dealerships playing games.

·
Registered
169 Posts
we have a manpower shortage here. Mandatory 2 out of 3 Saturdays for the last two years, plus voluntary Sundays. I usually work 60 to 65 hours a week but could work 80+ if I wanted. We usually have 50+ semi trailers in our yard to unload. Even if we had time to stock the parts we don't have the space. Now that we are into the new contract we have started hiring. I would say though that anybody that has to wait more than 7-10 days for a part than that issue is probably vendor related.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Leehunt 19 Thanks for clarifying about the parts supply line ,Myself I've never had an issue getting any part and I read these post about parts shortages do you have parts shortages where your working also ? Because I'm wondering if some of the issues are just dealerships playing games.
Times 2-Leehunt19 thanks as well for clarifying parts distribution. I too have never had a parts issue although there are those on this forum that have had issues. For example engine replacements and the engine beats the other parts in and they end up waiting 2 months for a gasket set or any number of other parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts