RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone brought up a issue with me today I was unaware of. My factory tires are P265/70R17 and they say, "Standard Load". Fellow tells me that "P" means it's a passenger tire.

Anyone else have that size on their trucks? Was thinking of contacting Ram and asking if it's legal to have that kind of a tire on a light truck. Was told you should have LT rated tires, which I assume means Light Truck.

Anybody know the answer?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The overlap between the P rating and LT rating means they are equal and you could actually have a lower load rated LT tire than a P rated. It's more important to look at the load rating after the size rating. anything over 100 is acceptable for the truck, 93 might be the new load number though. ETRTO table shows a TRA P series tire load rating of 110 would be the equivalent of a LT tire with a D code. I couldn't get any information about how the TRA (Tire and Rim Association, Inc) makes their rating and apparently the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) and TRA share a lot of their ratings.

From what I gathered having a P means the TRA (US based) made the determination on the tire, LT could be either verifying. I would assume most of mine have been ETRTO as I usually get Michelin LTX M/S2s and probably will next year for this truck as well. The 17" wheels on the Outdoorsman do come with LTs on them, but I don't know the plys or load rating.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just had Falken P275/60R20 Rocky Mountain ATS tires put on the truck this week. I just checked and they are load rated at 115. So far they are great handling tires, no diffenece in road noise, and can't beat the price at $114 per at local Discount Tire.

Here's Discount's load index:

Load Index Chart - Discount Tire

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if you think a "P" rated tire is going to be "better" than an LT tire when it comes time for actual load, your sadly mistaken.... i slung, sold, hucked & schucked tires for the better part of nearly 15 years.

P rated tires will NOT hold up over time compared to an LT tire under weight. they simply won't, sorry.

they WILL probably ride a bit better and generally will be cheaper to replace. i am not hear to say they suck. i answered a question and provided some information. tires are so commonly misunderstood and so EASY to be misled on its crazy. i was just at an auto dealership today having my 4runner serviced and stood listening to a sales advisor tell someone on a car with 185K miles they needed their premium tire @ $145/ea because "well these have a 90K warranty!" ...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
oh and sorry capt, totally didn't do anything to answer your question - yes, absolutely legal. and very common, it has been around for many years to have a "P" rated tire on 1/2T vehicles. but know what you are getting, just like when you research buying a vehicle - you buy what you feel best suits your needs. there is a reason LT tires exist...

·
Registered
360 Posts
$114 per tire is great, might have to see about getting the $100 rebate from Tread Lightly and swap mine as well. Did they give you anything for the factory tires? The guys here will buy low mileage tires but I haven't asked them about pricing. Although I would feel like I was stealing your truck. Posted any pics on here?

·
Registered
346 Posts
$114 per tire is great, might have to see about getting the $100 rebate from Tread Lightly and swap mine as well. Did they give you anything for the factory tires? The guys here will buy low mileage tires but I haven't asked them about pricing. Although I would feel like I was stealing your truck. Posted any pics on here?
Discount Tire doesn't buy tires they haven't sold. I made sure, though, that they made written verification that that tires had only 348 miles on them. I'll place them on Craigslist, and if that doesn't work I'll take them to one the "used" tire shops to see how much they'll give for them. Posted one pic of the truck on the Outdoorsman thread, but I'll post pics of the tires tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
113R. That's the number after the tire size.

Looked at some of those little numbers and think it says something like 2,533 lbs. max load. Will look at the charts next.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Someone brought up a issue with me today I was unaware of. My factory tires are P265/70R17 and they say, "Standard Load". Fellow tells me that "P" means it's a passenger tire.

Anyone else have that size on their trucks? Was thinking of contacting Ram and asking if it's legal to have that kind of a tire on a light truck. Was told you should have LT rated tires, which I assume means Light Truck.

Anybody know the answer?
Tires can be confusing. You will probably get many answers from different perspectives. My take on it is that there can be important design differences between P and LT tires although either may be suitable depending on the situation.

P-rated tires are fine for most half-ton (light duty) pickups, especially those that are used primarily for people hauling. Properly sized they have ample load capacity, provide the best possible ride and economy, and there are many types to choose from. Disadvantages are limited reserve load capacity and less puncture resistance.

LT-rated tires are used on 3/4 and 1-ton (heavy duty) pickups because they are designed for bigger loads and rugged conditions. The downsides are a rougher ride and a little loss in economy. Also, they tend to be more expensive.

The first thing I did after taking delivery was change from P to LT tires because I spend a fair amount of time on unpaved roads and tracks where puncture resistance is important, and I plan to carry significant payload so the reserve of an LT tire is desirable. It sounds like an LT tire might fit your towing and rural locations, too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah looks like a 113 is 2535 per tire, combined 10140 pounds, Both tire specs used the straight total for the distributed load overall rating from what I found.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some great information here.

When I saw that 113 and checked the charts, they only went to 110. Based on that and the 2533 lbs I think was there, these tires have a pretty high rating for a "P" tire.

That "R" interested me. If it's a speed rating then let me remind you of my earlier test. I hammered the truck down to test top speed and found it governed at ....106 mph. That's the speed the "R" stands for if it's a speed rating.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Glad you said all that Bigfoot I couldn't agree more. They build these trucks for what most people use them for. That's the main reason the load capacities are so low. This is the 2nd 1/2 ton truck I have beefed up to handle work duties. I guess you can say maybe a 5/8 ton is easily achieved with a few mods. Always start at the foundation tires.

·
Registered
334 Posts
P rated tires may be rated for the weight but will not handle off road abuse. By off road abuse I mean a gravel road will cause flats. I just got my first flat today guess a rock punched a hole going down a county road. I see a set of LT tires in my near future. A truck this heavy should not come with P rated tires but I have seen this same problem on other half tons.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
LT tires have a stiffer sidewall and are heavier than the P rated tires. P rated tires will give you a Jello feeling when towing larger loads. Also, P rated tires are onlybrated at 91% of their load on trucks and vans. Here is a good article from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
940 Posts
Check me if I'm wrong here but my tire guy explained to me the load difference is a factor of the side wall of the tire. P tires have say a 6 ply side wall while LT tires have a 10 ply side wall. Last year when I toasted the P's I switched to the LT's. Went with Michelin LTX MS2. What I got was a way better ride both with a trailer and not. The load rating went way up and I swear it got better mileage. The mileage part may have been what I had for dinner though.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On thing that did shock me was the sidewall description. There is a two-ply sidewall on my tires.

Think that's thin and now, based on all your comments, I expect to blow sidewalls out when I get to hunting camp or just cutting a corner short and scraping on a curb.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
They are a lot more durable than that capt!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts