RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIG HORN 4x4 ECO DIESEL-420 lbs ft- ZF 8hp70 trans-516 lbsft Max pay load is 700 lbs / max towing 7000 lbs with 3.55 axle. Can someone please explain to me that with the 3.92 axle it goes up to 700 lbs / max towing 8000 lbs. I understand the performance up grade but I dont understand the weight Differences .

·
Registered
274 Posts
With the lower gearing (higher number) it has a better mechanical advantage and can pull more weight akin to changing gear on a bicycle. Towing capacity is supported by the tansmission and rear end gears. Payload doesn't change because payload is weight supported by the fame/axles and is the same frame/axles no matter what transmission/ rear gear is in there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dave it's like riding a 10 speed bicycle and you come up on a hill... if for example you have the bike in second gear, it's easier to pedal up the hill. If you have the bike in 3rd or 4th gear, it is harder to pedal up that same hill.
Second gear the bicycle rear wheel spins more times per pedal revolution than in 3rd or 4th gear.

May not be the best analogy, but it's about right. 3.92 would be second gear..... and 355 would be 3rd or 4th gear, not proportionally, but for sake of example.

3.92 turns more per revolution of the drive, than 3.55..... so you can tow more, the motor does not work as hard at the same speed on a hill (as long as the speed is not high, over 65-70)
So overall if you are towing more, 3.92 is the way to go. If you are doing a mix, and live in flat land area, or did a lot of highway driving, 355 would be the choice

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am concerned about these payload numbers, picked up the big brochure from dealer when building and pricing a 2014. The booklet does not seem to have the numbers.

Can anyone provide a link to the half ton payload/towing capacities?

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am concerned about these payload numbers, picked up the big brochure from dealer when building and pricing a 2014. The booklet does not seem to have the numbers.

Can anyone provide a link to the half ton payload/towing capacities?

Thanks Jim
Keep in mind that the Tow Charts look official but are just estimates for base configurations. Common options add weight which reduces payload and towing ability. Also, the numbers for the Big Horn and Outdoorsman appear to be for the base SLT and don't include the standard features on those models. You can estimate the real ratings by factoring in the optional equipment weights from the (less than user friendly) RamBodyBuilder. A direct link to the relevant info is http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/iph2014/iph2014t/iph2014t_files/frame.htm which will get you within maybe 60 lbs of the payload number that appears on the weight placard of a built truck. But even the placard weight is an estimate. You will have to weigh the truck to know the actual payload rating based on the GVWR. Don't get me started on GVWR which is a very fuzzy number on which all the ratings are based... clear as mud?

There is also the interactive Towing Guide on RamTrucks.com that gives yet another estimate of tow and payload capacities. If you can get within 10% of the actual numbers consider yourself lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts