RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very confused at what seem to discrepancies between maximum payload for various trim options. On the Ram towing guide, it says a Tradesman quadcab 4x4 has a maximum payload of 1260, while a Big Horn or SLT are 1398. I would think the Tradesman should be higher?! On the spec sheet, all are listed at 1400, with the Big Horn having a reduced GCWR. On the same note, the towing calculator doesn't show any change for the higher trim levels when you select 3.92, but according to the chart, all but the Big Horn and Lone Star should increase. So which is it?! My dealership doesn't have many options in stock so I can't just go look at the door stickers. I understand the various options will decrease the individual capacity, but the towing guide doesn't seem to make sense. And I'm probably going to special order something, but obviously won't know what its ratings are until it shows up!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The Tradesman comes with a spray in liner. The others don't . Not sure what weight that adds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tradesman comes with a spray in liner. The others don't . Not sure what weight that adds.
According to the optional equipment chart on rambodybuilder (2014, as I can't find one for 2015), the spray in liner only adds 32 pounds. The higher trims have the heavier seats at about 50 pounds so that right there should offset it and create more payload on the tradesman!

·
Registered
13,715 Posts
If you "go by the book" the whole thing is goofy. We feel they are all underrated for both payload and towing. We don't count if you go by the book.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you "go by the book" the whole thing is goofy. We feel they are all underrated for both payload and towing. We don't count if you go by the book.
Word of caution in using RAMTrucks.com's payload ratings in their towing guide. They are nominal ratings they don't take into account options; only a 150 lb driver and full load of fuel are included and not counted against max payload. Moreover, when you do an inventory scan, and go to spec. details for a particular vehicle, you again will not get accurate max payload rating. There appears to be a more accurate way to get the rating by going to the towing guide and entering the VIN, it then appears to give you the true max payload. I was preparing to purchase a 2021 RAM 1500, I thought that the Laramie Longhorn with the e-torque would be 1720 lbs, as listed on the inventory spec. I called the dealer and had them check the door tag and discovered that it was only 1380. If I put an 7900 lb. 27ft. Airstream trailer with the tongue wait of 1100 lbs, I'd only have enough payload remaining for one passenger and a small amount of gear. In my research I found that load distribution hitches, contrary to some claims on this site, only shift the tongue weight toward the front of the tow vehicle. Bottom line, tongue weight is always going to be part of the truck payload.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts