RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Anthony - to answer your question, yes the payload sticker on the door jam the most accurate information FOR THAT TRUCK ONLY. If you're trying to predict what the payload will be for a truck you plan to order, use the tables found here http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...l/1618-official-ram-1500-weights-payload.html. It takes some time and effort, but you'll find some surprising results. For example, ordering bucket seats reduces your payload, 17" wheels increase your payload over 20", in fact every single option affects the payload one way or another. By careful selection of options I was able to get a 1200 pound payload on the Laramie QC in my signature (before the dealer added toneau and side steps).

Reactions: Anomaly

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Okay guys, I made the big step, put down a hold payment on the Outdoorsman at Dave smith Motors in Kellogg ID today. They have 14. 2014's due in 2 weeks or so. Only 7 are sold so far.I can give anyone interested my sales man's number. I get cut if anyone buys from him. :) I Got the great blue I wanted. :) Now to my question I pull a 25 foot Ultra Light Travel trailer so will I need those air bags i see talked about.. I have a quality Equalizer Hitch.
I had 1/2 ton 91 cummins w/camper, a 1/2 ton 95 cummins w/camper and 1 ton 03 cummins w/camper then 5th wheel. So hauling is not new to me but just wonder about my new Ram 1500 EcoBoost. My F150 has handled this trailer well but not the milage, it sucks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do you think the payload printed on the label of a new Ram on a sealer lot would be accurate?
The label, aka placard, shows the manufacturer's payload rating when the truck rolled off the assembly line. Assuming the dealer did not change anything on the truck, the label is accurate so far as it goes. The number will differ from what you can determine on-line--sometimes by a lot, sometimes by a little. You can get within about 10% by methodically factoring in Optional Equipment Weights from a chart. A cross-check is to find a truck on a dealer's lot that is close to what you want, note its official payload, and calculate from there.

We do not known how the payload is determined, though, and it can change at any time based on product revisions. In the end it is only a required snapshot of a truck and meant for guidance despite the legal BS in Ram documents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
…..payload, payload, payload, what have I learned so far.

The pay load for my truck is still around 1000 lbs, can’t be changed. What I have learned, is that the addition of airbags to the springs will increase stability, thus loaded to the max will still provide a level ride. Now with the RAM 4 corner air suspension, there is really nothing to be added to “enhance” the existing suspension. After all it is air suspension meant to increase stability with added load.

We can reasonably establish that the ram 4-corner air suspension can handle 1,600 lbs before complaining. So a basic truck camper with an 850 lbs dry weight would leave room for about 600lbs to make it “wet”. That will work to stay within rated axle load (GVAR). Also, considering the low payload rating on outfitted crew cab rams I would believe that we will soon see aftermarket enhancements, just as we see these adders for coil spring suspensions.

Ramforumz.com has good information on the subject, so any knowledge, please post.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I originally thought that the payload rating included the driver. I now think that it does not after weighing my truck, looking at the weight labels of many other trucks on dealer lots, and reading the fine print of published ratings. Some option combinations are even unavailable because there has to be enough payload for the number of people (5 or 6) the truck can carry. However, the CWR does include 150 lbs for the driver. Screwy, I know.

If you are getting your 1300 lbs from the Tow Charts understand that they refer to base weight of a model category (such as SLT / Outdoorsman / Bighorn / Lone Star) and do not reflect the actual built weight with standard accessories. For example, I looked at a couple of Quad Cab Outdoorsmans with Hemi engines and their payload rating from the weight label was barely over 1100 lbs even though the Charts claim 1330 lbs; the base SLT might have that much payload but not when trim packages are added. Ram does not make it easy to know what you are ordering. That's why I keep saying we have to weigh a given truck to know its actual payload rating.
From the owner's manual
"Payload
The payload of a vehicle is defined as the allowable load
weight a truck can carry, including the weight of the
driver, all passengers, options and cargo."

The payload placarded on the driver's door should be good, as it is the certified payload for that particular vehicle. I do agree that weighing the truck is a good way to verify the payload.

·
Registered
523 Posts
RB33- I tow a 26 foot Rockwood Ultra Lite with the truck in my signature below. Like you, my previous experience was with 40+ foot 5th wheels and a one ton dually. I'll tell you up front, your truck will do a fine job towing that trailer without air bags, but it will not be as stable and secure as a properly set up 5th wheel/dually combination. My truck has Air-lift air bags, but I've not been able to keep air in them due to leakage where the air lines connect to the bags. I've towed the trailer twice with an Equil-I-zer hitch with no air in the bags and had no issues.

Reactions: RB33

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Does the payload sticker assume all fluids are full?
I believe that it does. Here is why, from the manual.

The curb weight of a vehicle is defined as the total weight
of the vehicle with all fluids, including vehicle fuel, at full
capacity conditions, and with no occupants or cargo
loaded into the vehicle

The payload should be the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the curb weight.

Reactions: RamBam

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The payload sticker is a joke on these trucks
Perhaps you could elaborate on that assertion? Maybe I have missed something important here and I'm all for learning.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The payload sticker is a joke on these trucks
While sitting in front of a friends house today I was thinking about my 2015 ED Outdoorsman wondering when I would get it.... I was looking at my VW Jetta TDI and thought let's go look at the door sticker on my favorite car.

Here's the crazy thing, my VW Jetta says "Passengers and other items must not exceed 1050lbs"! MY Jetta has an payload equal to a Longhorn ED!

I am now thoroughly convinced that my truck will handle a light weight camper and me and the 100lb wife. If it doesn't, I'm goning to look like a fool but I think it should do fine.

Does that sound logical or like a guy that has a deposit down on a 50K truck hoping that it works?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Took my ED and 5th wheel camper down and weight it all. Fully loaded and ready to go as if we were going camping. The scale ticket printed it out at 15,440 lbs. Have been using it that way most of the summer months and even this much weight the ED pulled it like a champ. That figures out that I was around 900 lbs over my weight on my rear axle. It also was getting right at 14.2 mpg at 60 mph.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Took my ED and 5th wheel camper down and weight it all. Fully loaded and ready to go as if we were going camping. The scale ticket printed it out at 15,440 lbs. Have been using it that way most of the summer months and even this much weight the ED pulled it like a champ. That figures out that I was around 900 lbs over my weight on my rear axle. It also was getting right at 14.2 mpg at 60 mph.
The 15,440 lbs. is that just the 5th wheel camper weight or does that weight include the truck too?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Perhaps you could elaborate on that assertion? Maybe I have missed something important here and I'm all for learning.
after people in truck and tri-fold tonne cover I am left with 520 lbs of payload to be 100% legal , A big cooler loaded with food and drink's and a few other stuff will eat that rite up , let alone any type of decent trailer tong weight , look at this way even if you had 2 260lb guys in the back of the truck you would be at max weight , The truck can handle a lot more weight then it is rated for with the use of airbags or timbrem's as we see many post about , I am looking to buy a travel trailer now and I always like to stay with in the law but it seem's impossible with this truck's tiny payload ,
As we all read how so many eco owner's are 1000 lbs +++ over weight and report the truck handles fine with either type of suspension helper . I weighed my truck at the cat scale and the front axle is at 3500 lb's and the back axle is at 2500 lbs so rite there it tell's me that the truck could handle a 1000 lbs of payload to be equal to the front , and we also have 3900 lb axle's front and back so that will give you even more payload , So now you see where I was coming from when I said the door sticker is a joke

mike

Reactions: Nomad

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 15,440 lbs. is that just the 5th wheel camper weight or does that weight include the truck too?
I would assume that is both truck and trailer , That would leave the trailer around 9000 lb's and at least 1500 lbs of pin weigh " payload " plus hitch another couple hundred lbs

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you have 3.55 or 3.92 ratio ?

Thank's
mike

81 - 100 of 122 Posts