RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Payload limitations

63K views 123 replies 43 participants last post by  VernDiesel 
#1 ·
I haven’t given payload much attention during the selection and purchasing process of acquiring my Ecodiesel. It is a 4 x 4 Limited with air suspension. Got 16k miles, it’s the daily driver, towing a Lund Tyee on weekends.

Thought it would be nice to stay overnight at the lakes on weekends and get me a composite popup truck camper (yes I know they are pretty small) However, this trucks payload rating is all but 960 lbs. That‘s good for a cooler with a few beers, a change of cloth, limited camping gear and a few things I throw in the back for fishing. Forget any kind of truck camper, or fifth-wheel. Towing capacity is halfway decent though by the time a travel trailer is wet, choices of what the truck will pull are limited.

Yes crew cab, 4x4, air suspension and such limit payload . However, for the Ecodiesel to be a viable truck it must get into the 1500 lbs payload range, even 4x4 and loaded with options.

As for this guy, I love the diesel, the ride and the luxurious, quiet cab. Though this won’t be a keeper.

#5 ·
I don't even have a new RAM, my point was that a few here have tested the air suspension to it's limits, and after exceeding 1 ton (2,000lbs) it activated the load protection which simply disengages load leveling. The truck is still perfectly driveable.

In essence, If you're scared to use your truck... don't be, it's going to take it. If you're scared of the DOT rolling you over scales, get a different (HD) truck.

#6 ·
i think there's plenty of owners, myself included, that have demonstrated this truck is capable of handling travel trailers, someone has a 5th wheel (not air suspension of course), and the truck is doing an amazing job. i have a lance 2285 trailer and my CC Laramie with air suspension is pulling that trailer absolutely just fine (for grins you can read my 2 tow reports). while i can't say why the payload rating is so low (mine is listed as 1060 lbs) i can say from first hand experience i have nothing but faith in the ability to load up and tow my trailer, with my wife and daughter and all our gear, trailer 'wet', and have no problems. there is a trick to towing with the air suspension, which is when hooking up your hitch put the suspension in "tire/jack mode" with the engine running and while in park. get your trailer hooked up, hitch level, etc. then when you shift into drive the air suspension will engage and level out the truck. when you are done and read to unhitch, again put in the tire/jack mode, unhook your trailer and when you are ready to "drop the hitch" the air suspension once again has a nice trick - go into 'entry mode' and let the truck drop down, which will lower the ball out of trailer tonque and away you go. no more bouncing on the trailer tongue or hitch to get that sucker to drop :)

#7 ·
I did a lot of research and none of the 1500s are great candidates for a well equipped pop-up truck camper (using placard capacity as a guide). The only light duty with the bed capacity to do it with room to spare is the Chevy/GMC and there is not much room to spare. If you already bought the ED go with a travel trailer since everyone seems to think they tow well (3.55 and 3.92).

People have strong opinions on this sort of stuff, but in my opinion truck campers are best suited to heavy duty pickups.

#10 ·
The Ram 1500 is marketed as a light-duty pickup with class leading fuel economy. To achieve that Ram has done many things including the use of P-rated street tires. To make it more attractive to consumers they offer luxury options not seen in work trucks. Ram is also more conservative in their light-duty payload rating compared to other brands. This all adds up to an unrealistically low payload rating. For example, we could put our entire "rated" payload on the rear axle and still be hundreds of pounds below the rear GAWR. If we balance the load properly, pay attention to tire pressure, perhaps get heavy-duty LT tires, and drive like we have a load, it is reasonable to carry 1500 or more pounds. With a simpler work model such as the Tradesman that is properly equipped, 2000 or more pounds is easily within reach.

There are several brands of popup truck campers which have models where the wet payload can be kept in the 1500 to 1800 pound range and the COG is low. That is a weight most Ram 1500 models have proven they can carry safely. Of course, fuel economy will drop somewhat although the diesel likes to work. That also means no hard-sided or large popup campers for which a HD truck is needed.

#11 ·
I agree with Bigfoot but note that the standard GOODYEAR 20" tires are rated at 2601 lbs of capacity at 44 psi. If half of the empty truck weight is on the rear axle, (and I doubt if it is that much), that leaves at least 3000# of capacity on the rear tires for bed payload and trailer hitch load(note that without a load leveling hitch the trailer tongue weight adds more to the rear tires than the actual tongue weight). I think the trucks are capable of hauling quite a reasonable load with a sensible driver. I'd put a ton in mine with no problems but wouldn't be going 85 mph on the freeway with it. Those of us that use half ton trucks to do real work have all hauled well over a ton on past trucks without breaking anything and I am confident this one will do so too, as long as the driver has some sense.

#12 ·
There's always the "Don't sue us" payload rating and then the actual practical payload rating with 1/2 ton trucks. Payload and towing figures seem to be figured out using worst case scenario calculations just to build in a huge safety margin for idiots that will try to load a 900lb pallet behind the rear axle or not properly distribute the tongue weight of their trailer. My Ecoboost that I'm currently trying to sell to get an ED only has an 800lb or so payload but it's easily hauled around 1500lbs of flagstone, quads, turf, etc.. Just requires a level of responsible loading, maintenance, and driving that auto manufacturers can't assume all of their buyers will have.

#13 ·
I agree that the truck can handle more than placard capacity, but I consider placard the "don't sue me" payload rating. If I am over and something bad happens, its a big fat target to get sued or to have my insurance drop me. Just a reality of modern life...

#14 · (Edited)
I've always been worried about this myself. Never could quite figure out the load issues. I carry at any given time:

1.) A leer truck cap with win doors (weight maybe 250lbs?)
2.) A truck vault (weight maybe 350lbs?)
3.) 20 cases of shotgun shells. (400 lbs?)
4.) boxes made of 4 sheets of azek (250 lbs?)
5.) two sets of drawer slides (100 lbs?)
6.) 100 lbs of random cargo.

That seems like about 1400 lbs of cargo sustained over the life of the rig. On my 2011 ram the rear springs were low from the weight so I installed air bags in the coils of the rears. Do I have an issue with the air suspension on my 2014 eco with this consistent load or am I good to go?

#16 ·
"P"assenger tires used on a pickup truck must have their load rating derated by 10% when used on a "Light Truck" per guidance from the Tire and Rim Manufacturers Association (TRA). The truck manufacturer is responsible for ensuring the tires can safely carry the rated axle capacity at the specified cold inflation pressure on the placard (3,900lbs-39 psi). There are "Load Inflation Tables" for LT tires, but I've never seen any for "P" tires.

#17 ·
Oh they can definitely take more than they are rated for. Back in the day I had a 2004 Ram 1500 lifted (rear had additional leafs added) and BFG's (rated at 3,300lbs each) and had a 4,000 lb load in the bed. It was a 2 mile trip from Lowes to the house and it did just fine. Of course I would never recommend that on a stock truck or for long distances. I'll have to post a picture of it when I get home tonight.

#19 ·
Is your camper on a 1500?

Four Wheel Campers are popular and a good choice for those who want an aluminum frame, aluminum siding and basic wood interior. They try to keep the options down to streamline manufacturing, so a few things offered elsewhere (powered roof lift, high-capacity solar panels, etc.) are unavailable. The weight with comparable options is similar to other brands.

#20 ·
Yes my camper is on a 2010 1500. I installed airbags in the rear to help with the load. Does very well. Not sure what the weight is but with all of our stuff, wife and two kids we must be well over 1200lbs. Sits a bit nose high but it's manageable. Ill put a pic up when I get in.

#22 ·
Would be instructive to weigh it. I'll bet with the camper, family and gear your total weight is over 7500 lbs, the payload is over 1800 lbs, and the mpg is around 14. Just a guess.

#23 ·
We've discussed that chart several times. It has some value in comparing models but it gives inaccurate results for a given truck. It does not even have a diesel option. Lucky to get within 20% of actual payload rating. To add insult, the "Look Up My Vehicle" link does not work for many of us who have had a VIN for over 5 months. For a built truck, much easier to look at the weight label. If shopping, go to a large dealer and look at the labels on trucks in their lot.

G
#24 ·
Just read the latest comments. I read this forum regularly. I was unaware this Ram payload chart has been discussed several times. I gather I missed it. I checked the link I attached. For the record, it does show the Ecodiesel ratings. I found it useful and thought it might assist other forum members. My apologies if I added duplicate info to the site.

#25 ·
No worries. It's difficult to search for a topic like that or to scan hundreds of old posts.

Yes, the chart does show the diesel but does not allow sorting by engine so there is a lot of noise to wade through. It is mostly useful to compare models.

#28 ·
Ram boxes were introduced in 2009 I believe. Part of the reason I bought that truck.
I do a lot if off road camping. Some pretty aggressive stuff. Tenting got tiring after a while and with this setup I can still fit most places and the truck handles the weight great. The lift springs are a bit softer than the originals so I added the air lift bags. Helped a lot.

#33 ·
A hitch rating is relatively easy to determine. Payload capacity is more nebulous. Payload rating is based on tires and number of axles in most state statutes. Enforcement does not care about the manufacturer's load label which has been likened to a mattress label: required to tell you what you are buying but meaningless after that. If you cause a crash and an automotive forensic investigator determines that the crash resulted from a failure directly related to overload, then you could be in trouble. However, the vast majority of crashes are driver error. Alcohol, distractions, going too fast for conditions, high GOG and insufficient tire pressure are far more likely to be examined than raw weight unless you are crazy overloaded. The typical car insurance policy cares only about mods that affect vehicle value or risk of theft.

Again, we each have to know our truck and ourselves, and adjust to handle the conditions. I think the EcoDiesel is better suited to towing than payload but it can safely be overloaded up to a point.

#34 ·
And the calculated payload for the door label includes the manufacturer data for the factory tires. An accident investigation, if it's even requested, will use the data they collect from the scene with factory data to complement their findings. Especially since payload and towing numbers were not considered an engineering value but rather marketing. If you possess a CDL in most US states though expect more nitpicking, even in your personal vehicles.

#35 ·
I had a fender bender in my 2500 with a well overloaded trailer ( i rear ended someone at about 15 mph). they never even looked twice at the trailer weight or anything. breezed right by. They definitely could have had an argument that it caused my accident (it didn't) in the end i may have gotten lucky, I'm not sure really. I was over payload, axle weight, pretty much everything that had a rating on the truck i was over. about 2k of payload in bed, pulling an 20ft bumper pull with about 2k worth of equipment, and roughly 4 yds of sand (2700-3k a yard) on a trailer that weighed probably 4-6k empty. so yeah i was well over the trucks rating and they didn't even notice or ask if i was overloaded. the truck had always handled the weight fine and i felt comfortable pulling it so i don't think its an issue, but others will tell you differently. just my .02. i think you should load your truck however you feel comfortable.

#36 ·
Hi All:

New to the forum and new to this thread but have been getting a quick education on payloads and different models of Ram ED trucks.

Last week I was all set to drop the big coin and order a Longhorn Crew Cab with the 6'4" bed. Placed the order and got home to find the dealer had messed up on color choices etc... so order was put on hold. Good thing. I finally found the payload/towing chart page on the Ram site and discovered the ~900lb max payload on this model.

Since part of the point of getting a truck was to put in a pop-up slide camper in the back I stopped the order and did some more builds on the Ram site. I think I have finally settled on the Outdoorsman rather than the Longhorn. I was really looking forward to the cool leather seats but that seems to be the tradeoff for about 350 more lbs of payload and extra heavy duty rear shocks.

The plan is to buy a small lightweight pop-up with a dry weight of about 860. I figure with the 1200lb payload of the Outdoorsman plus the air suspension plus the XHD shocks, I should be fine. Especially since the camper will only be in the truck 6-10 weeks a year.

Questions for all of you:
Does an Outdoorsman have the same sound proofing etc.. as a Longhorn? I really liked the quiet cabin of the Longhorn.
With the air suspension, will the XHD rear shock make the ride much rougher? REally liked the ride of the Longhorn.
It seems to me the Ram is really under valuing the air suspension in terms of max payload and safe handling. Do you agree?

#37 ·
...The plan is to buy a small lightweight pop-up with a dry weight of about 860. I figure with the 1200lb payload of the Outdoorsman plus the air suspension plus the XHD shocks, I should be fine. Especially since the camper will only be in the truck 6-10 weeks a year.

Questions for all of you:
Does an Outdoorsman have the same sound proofing etc.. as a Longhorn? I really liked the quiet cabin of the Longhorn.
With the air suspension, will the XHD rear shock make the ride much rougher? REally liked the ride of the Longhorn.
It seems to me the Ram is really under valuing the air suspension in terms of max payload and safe handling. Do you agree?
The air suspension will stop working at roughly 7550 lbs total weight based on my test, so you don't have much excess payload capacity to play with. Assuming the Outdoorsman has a curb weight of 5700 lbs that leaves you with 1850 lbs of potential payload before the air suspension complains. If the people and gear are under 1000 lbs then a lightweight camper is possible. However, I'll bet the built truck's actual curb weight is higher. That does not leave much breathing room.

#41 ·
Thanks to Bigfoor, Cattledog and Skifast, the input really helps. I am committed to the ED Outdoorsman now and I am going to make it work. I have pretty much settled on this camper. It's short and light and their weights seem to be accurate. So I am going to enjoy the benefits of a sub 100 lb wife and generally lightweight gear to bring the rig in under the ED OD weight limit.

This whole research project has taught me a great deal about weights and capacities of trucks. It also has led to my now firm belief that almost every (or at least a majority) pickup truck/camper rig out driving around now is overloaded.

I will keep you all posted as to the actual weight once the truck is delivered.

Reactions: Bigfoot
#42 ·
The Caribou Lite is a good choice, especially considering where you live. I talked with them but when I spec'd it out the way we wanted it weighed over 1100 lbs dry, probably 1500 lbs loaded. It is hard to keep the weight down but it sounds like you have it dialed in. When do you get it?

We also looked at Four Wheel Camper but didn't like their construction, lift system and unwillingness to customize. We should be in your area to pick up a Hallmark EXC in a month. I think the Hallmark and Outfitter company owners are related.

#43 ·
Well, I actually have not ordered it yet. I am checking on a used one (keep it a secret)...

Are you going to use the Exc in your ED? If so, won't you be overloaded?

Regarding the Hallmark/Outfitter relationship, I don't know much but I think there is some bad blood there. When I met with the owner he implied as much and then I read this link. Cain and Able...

#44 ·
The EXC goes on a 2500 which will welcome the weight. We gave up on the 1500 when another manufacturer was not able to deliver a custom camper for it and nothing else met our weight requirements.

Both the Outfitter and Hallmark people I talked with were helpful and flexible. Both companies come with good recommendations. We liked the Hallmark construction better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.