RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put a PCV oil catch can on their diesel yet? when I was removing the foam from around the motor I disconnected what I think is the intercooler tube and was shocked at how much oil was already in the tube. Picture was taking with roughly 4000 miles on the motor.
Auto part Fuel line Hand Finger Carburetor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Auto part Engine Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

This is the PCV hose, correct?

I see a sensor near both ends of this tube, one on the engine and one up by the air inlet. Does anyone know if these are pressure sensors? Or airflow sensors? It seems ridiculous to have two sensors on just to check a single hose hasn't plugged up or fell off!

Does the 6.7L have two sensors on each end?

When you switch a 6.7L over to a road draft tube do you leave the air inlet sensor on the air inlet or leave it on the end of the road draft tube? I would think leave it on the road draft tube so the engine and hose sensors are similar. But then if they don't compare well to other air inlet pressure sensors, what then?

Maybe a closed billet catch can will be the only easy way to do this... hmm..

·
Registered
59 Posts
After more study, I just ordered a Billet Technology part #20010 catch can. I see the Jeep posts about the Provent 200 being too restrictive, and several Jeeps with Billets so went with them. They have a 15% discount this weekend only, LXBN2014 code, that instantly prompted action.

If I did the road draft tube, I would want to do an elephant hose and run it all the way to the back of the vehicle. That may be ok in some climates, but I have heard of elephants freezing up and blowing oil all over the place when it is 20 below, I don't need that! And, it may be difficult to get a good vacuum signal from the draft through a long hose like that.

So sorry, I am not going to mess with the clamps for the oem hoses so no pics of clamps :(

I can post pics of Billet install though :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Steeda looks nice. If it uses a paper (or felt?) based filter, it could potentially have the problem the Provent 200 has for our Ecodiesel, reference:

PCV line / Oil Catch can - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Any small restriction more than metal mesh may set off the P04DB CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM DISCONNECTED

Oh for the OP, I think he used a straight screwdriver to get the clamp off :) (or ~5/16" socket) So that is the intercooler hose where it is across the drivers side of the motor and then where it turns down to go to the intercooler is where the OP took a photo. They are just normal band hose clamps there.

I know which clamp you are talking about though, the ones closer to the engine. They are HENN intercooler clamps. They are explained here:

HC Henn Connector for Intercooler Systems - HENN: connecting competence

die listigen Österreicher

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me see if I can grab a pic tomorrow .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I Installed a Provent today. Found a great cubby hole behind the fuse box. No more oil in the engine to gum up the valves! I did this mod on my 07 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 MB diesel and it kept my intake and valves clean of carbon. Just wish i could turn off the EGR like i could with the Green Diesel Eng. Tune..

Automotive design Auto part Technology Vehicle Car
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Engine Auto part
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes the Provent 200. Draining to oil to a hose by oil drain plug. Should not have to deal with oil until I do an oil change. Will take a pic next time the truck is on the lift.

·
Banned
627 Posts
No codes. 500 miles since I installed!
WHAT!!!!! gosh dang it, I AM A RETARD!!! I didn't buy it due to the high cost and the difficulty to find the filters, grrrrrrrrr im mad at myself.
That's awesome yours is working, and your install looks beautiful, and you can return your return hose to original easily for warranty problems. No wonder why this provent is working perfectly on the jeeps around the world.

the specific details about the provent.

http://www.cfpfilters.com/downloads/product_info/Mann/provent.pdf

Reactions: toramman

·
Registered
519 Posts
Where is the best place to buy? Can anyone do an install for dummies, I am a little cautious removing the hoses and drilling a mount, any help would be excellent, thanks.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yep... looks almost factory.

Reactions: Sasquatchilly

·
Administrator
9,907 Posts
speedtriple1,

It looks like you used the 25mm hose for both connections to the ProVent. What did you use to connect the 25mm hose to the smaller stock hose?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

1 - 20 of 188 Posts