RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now using Peak BlueDEF Platinum in my 2019 Ram 1500 GEN2 Ecodiesel, there are several nay sayers in this forum as well as other forums across the internet but none of them have actually used the Peak BlueDEF Platinum and evaluated how it preformed to keep DEF deposits down.

As many know the DEF injector and SCR tank inlet will build up crystalized DEF deposits, you can use a clothes steamer to liquify the crystalized DEF to clean it away. I have 11,008 miles on my 2019 GEN2 Ecodiesel and it has only had the OEM MOPAR DEF from the factory which is about 3.8 gallons and I added 5 gallons of Peak BlueDEF when I bought the truck. The truck had 50 miles on it when I bought it new from the dealer as a left over 2019 so some of the factory DEF was used and likely some had evaporated over the 11 months it sat on the lot from its build date.

Since then Peak BlueDEF Platinum has become available and I purchased 5 gallons of it, I ran the tank down to the start of the red on the gauge just under the 1/4 mark so I am guessing I still had about 1 gallon to 1 1/2 gallons of mixed MOPAR DEF/Peak BlueDEF in the DEF tank. I added the Peak BlueDEF Platinum around the 9,800 mile mark.

Today I went ahead and changed the fuel filter for the first time at 11,008 miles because it was the original fuel filter and has been in the truck for 14 months going by the build date. The fuel filter was in great shape and not dark colored at all so I have no doubt I can go 20,000 miles between fuel filter changes. The diesel fuel was nice and clean from the canister and there was no water in the canister. I am using Mobil Diesel Efficient diesel fuel along with either Power Service Diesel Kleen or Hot Shot Every Day Treatment.

When I pulled the DEF injector there was some DEF crystallization build up on the DEF injector and just a little thin amount of build up on the SCR tank where the DEF injector sprays into the DEF tank. The crystallized DEF was moist and came off the DEF injector very easy, the thin amount of crystallized DEF at the entrance of the SCR tank came right off without any effort.

Maybe the Peak BlueDEF Platinum had a role I don't know, but I am going to check the DEF injector again at the 20,000 mile mark and see what the build up looks like if any. I have only had the Peak BlueDEF Platinum in the DEF tank for about 1,100 to 1,200 miles so this will be a 9,000 mile run after cleaning the DEF injector and inlet. I did not have to use the steam cleaner to remove the crystallized DEF.

This is a real world use evaluation that will tell if Peak BlueDEF Platinum helps keep deposits down in the DEF system or not. Keep in mind that this tank of DEF will be slightly diluted due to the left over DEF that was in the DEF tank.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you saying your DEF injector and the SCR tank opening are all clean and have no crystallized DEF deposits at 149,129 miles or you have just never pulled the DEF injector to check it?

I wonder if your DEF injector and SCR tank opening look like this:

Metal Circle Still life photography Steel
Metal World Grey Auto part Circle

·
Banned
388 Posts
Since new I’ve used up a full tank of def at 3,400 miles. About 3000 highway, 409 local driving.
With my previous 2020 gen 3 it’s about the same when it was new and used significantly less as time went in to 53k miles.

·
Registered
982 Posts
With 80,000km I have only ever used the FCA DEF in the 2-gallon container. My first fuel filter change was at about 60,000km (40,000M) and the dealer told me it looked like new. I don't do my own service. I've done wayyyyyy too much wrenching in my life as a licensed, self employed power equipment dealer, so I take it to the local FCA dealer, and get them to shuttle us to a local restaurant where we have breakfast while the service is done, then they pick us up again and bring us back for our truck. I don't use any additives and never have (snake oil). All I do is get the service done as recommended at our local dealer, and I make sure that the fuel filler nozzle is free os snow when I fill the tank.
To date ....... no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Def issues whats that this bus was still running great with no codes or issues. But is uses the same def as the rest of there fleet which most have little to no buildup. A lot of the issues seem to come from drive cycles and warm up times.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Are you saying your DEF injector and the SCR tank opening are all clean and have no crystallized DEF deposits at 149,129 miles or you have just never pulled the DEF injector to check it?

I wonder if your DEF injector and SCR tank opening look like this:

View attachment 88372 View attachment 88373
I'm saying just like it reads......I've never had a problem and never had to clean the DEF injector.
But also saying that because of my GDE tune I use DEF in winter and distilled all other months. I believe the distilled use in non-freezing months, negates any build up of DEF crystallization.
I have not needed anything other than cheap DEF for 4 years and 240,000 kms.
When and if I have a DEF/SCR/DPF issue I'm ready for the full delete with everything needed already acquired.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
224,000 miles...tuned since 50k...always used 'Super Tech' DEF for $6.88/2.5g and/or distilled water. Have yet to have a DEF Injector/Sensor issue. Paying $20 seems odd to me. What is the actual ingredient making it platinum that differientiates it from marketing?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Those of you posting that you use distilled water in place of DEF are not relevant to any test of how Peak BlueDEF Platinum will work in long term use. Not everyone can use distilled water to replace their DEF furthermore the days of being able to delete your diesel emissions equipment are starting to come to an end so if a company develops a product that can help to keep DEF deposits down that is a good thing.

The others that are posting about the SDS sheet (Safety Data Sheet) that sheet does not list every ingredient in a formula, what the SDS does is list the ingredients that are classified as harmful in case of an accident while in transport, storage and handling. If there are ingredients that are not harmful they are not required to be listed on the SDS sheet.

One great example of this would be Group V Ester oils, they do not list all the ingredients of the make up of the oil because unless they are adding Group III conventional oil or some other hazards material there is nothing considered hazardous so if you pull up a Redline SDS sheet you will find in section 3 there will not be anything listed as hazardous. You will find in another section of the SDS sheet Zinc on a Redline SDS sheet.

So those trying to use the SDS sheet as proof that Peak has no additive in the BlueDEF Platinum would not know one way or the other if the additive is not classified as a hazardous material.

It probably does not take very much additive in the Peak BlueDEF Platinum to achieve the results they are claiming and that in turn would not change the percentage of deionized water and synthetic urea in a detachable amount, for example those of you who use Hot Shot every day treatment fuel additive, you add a single ounce to 26 gallons of diesel fuel, do you think that one ounce is going to show up in the percentage of make up of the diesel fuel? Of course it would not, it would not alter the overall percentage in a detectable way.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think this is the issue that the new Blue Def is trying to address.
you are correct, they are trying to limit the amount of deposits from DEF crystallization in the SCR system. There are some good photos of DEF crystallization in this thread and as the DEF starts to build up in the SCR system it is going to start to restrict the exhaust flow which can impact the DPF which is monitored by a sensor for back pressure, as the DPF starts to get plugged up with Diesel Particles the sensor detects the back pressure and signals the start of a Regen to burn off the Diesel Particles in the filter turning them into ash.

If the SCR starts to become restrictive because it is located behind the DPF system in the exhaust it can trigger the DPF sensor because of increased back pressure, the sensor is not going to know if the increased back pressure is from the DPF being full or it is the SCR system creating back pressure. Could explain why some people have said as their trucks got up in miles they started have more frequent Regen's.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm saying just like it reads......I've never had a problem and never had to clean the DEF injector.
But also saying that because of my GDE tune I use DEF in winter and distilled all other months. I believe the distilled use in non-freezing months, negates any build up of DEF crystallization.
I have not needed anything other than cheap DEF for 4 years and 240,000 kms.
When and if I have a DEF/SCR/DPF issue I'm ready for the full delete with everything needed already acquired.
Have you ever pulled your DEF injector to look at it?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am doing this to find out how well the Peak BlueDEF Platinum works compared to regular BlueDEF, my truck is a 2019 so it had the 3.8 gallons of Mopar DEF from the factory and I added 5 gallons of Peak BlueDEF. There was some crystalized DEF build up in the DEF injector cone and a thin build up of crystallized DEF where the DEF injector attaches to the SCR chamber.

I added 5 gallons of the new Peak BlueDEF Platinum to the DEF tank so there is still some regular DEF in the tank which will dilute the Platinum some this go around. So it will be interesting to see if the crystalized DEF deposits are the same or less. The next time I add Peak BlueDEF Platinum there should not be much regular DEF left in the tank. If there was a drain on the DEF tank I would have drained the remaining regular DEF but there is no drain so there was probably 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of regular DEF still in the tank that will have diluted this first batch of Peak BlueDEF Platinum.

One thing we do know from history is DEF does crystallize and form deposits, there are enough photos and videos showing this so no one can say that DEF crystallization is not an issue. One of the maintenance items that is now being done on over the road trucks is maintenance of the DEF injector cleaning the crystallized DEF from it and cleaning the opening of the SCR chamber so the DEF injector has a full clear opening to spray the DEF into the SCR chamber.

The one thing no one can do is clean the inside of the SCR chamber itself on our trucks so any crystallized DEF build up on the reactive metals inside the SCR chamber will remain. If this new Peak BlueDEF Platinum additive will keep crystallized DEF build up to a minimum that can only be a good thing for owners.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
What is the % difference of crystallization between regular Peak and platinum Peak? Surly some sort of comparison data exist backing their claim.

Not doubting your sincerity personally, simply questioning what appears to be marketing messaging. IF one has a truck that sits for weeks on end perhaps there is a benefit. Reality is without the data and an answer to what makes it platinum we are left to speculate back and forth.

BTW, I flush every DEF fill up with 16oz distilled water to prevent crystals in the upper filling tube. 5,585 hours w/o issue can not simply be wiped as 'you don't count'.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is the % difference of crystallization between regular Peak and platinum Peak? Surly some sort of comparison data exist backing their claim.

Not doubting your sincerity personally, simply questioning what appears to be marketing messaging. IF one has a truck that sits for weeks on end perhaps there is a benefit. Reality is without the data and an answer to what makes it platinum we are left to speculate back and forth.

BTW, I flush every DEF fill up with 16oz distilled water to prevent crystals in the upper filling tube. 5,585 hours w/o issue can not simply be wiped as 'you don't count'.
Those with later model year trucks can't use distilled water or they will throw a code and then the dealer is trying to sell you an entire DEF system from the tank to the injector to the SCR chamber saying it is contaminated.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
you are correct, they are trying to limit the amount of deposits from DEF crystallization in the SCR system. There are some good photos of DEF crystallization in this thread and as the DEF starts to build up in the SCR system it is going to start to restrict the exhaust flow which can impact the DPF which is monitored by a sensor for back pressure, as the DPF starts to get plugged up with Diesel Particles the sensor detects the back pressure and signals the start of a Regen to burn off the Diesel Particles in the filter turning them into ash.

If the SCR starts to become restrictive because it is located behind the DPF system in the exhaust it can trigger the DPF sensor because of increased back pressure, the sensor is not going to know if the increased back pressure is from the DPF being full or it is the SCR system creating back pressure. Could explain why some people have said as their trucks got up in miles they started have more frequent Regen's.
I'm pretty sure the ECM measures backpressure across the DPF from sensors fore and aft of the DPF. Any backpressure from the SCR is not a factor.

How do you know the SCR gets any buildup of DEF deposits? How do you know that any minute deposits in the SCR aren't burn't off during the extreme high temps of a regen?

There's a ton of speculation in your 'real world' testing, and no real baseline or side by side comparison.

Sure there's been a few owners with clogged DEF injectors, but I'd argue that percentage is very low.

Reactions: bobcat67
1 - 20 of 95 Posts