RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Any followups on the Plat DEF?
I've use the Platinum in my 2015 and 2020 EcoDiesel trucks. Now that it's being sold in more places, the price has some down a little bit. Walmart in my area has the best prices, but they sell out quickly.

According to the manufacturer, the people who do a lot of short distance driving will benefit most from the Platinum. I do a lot of short commutes, which is why I was experiencing a clogged DEF injector. From this point on, I don't anticipate any more clogging issues and hopefully it will prolong the life of my DPF.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
DEF is injected after the DPF so there will zero affect on your DPF.
Thanks for the correction. I meant to say the SCR. Speaking of, has anyone opened up their SCR system to see what kind of deposit build up has occurred?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I meant to say the SCR. Speaking of, has anyone opened up their SCR system to see what kind of deposit build up has occurred?
Hi: biodiesel... I had my "Clock" cleaned not to long ago, does that count? I think I had the SCR done on one of the many MIL light on sessions!!! Was showed a pic on the SMgrs phone.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don’t have an eco anymore, but recently had to replace a DEF heater in my F350 and not a spec of crystallized DEF in the tank with roughly 80k miles and no special sauce ever used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I don’t have an eco anymore, but recently had to replace a DEF heater in my F350 and not a spec of crystallized DEF in the tank with roughly 80k miles and no special sauce ever used
You need to pull the injector and take a look....

·
Registered
862 Posts
You need to pull the injector and take a look....
Maybe, but I don’t have an injector issue yet, noticed a fair amount of crystals on the platinum stuff at Wally World the other day, made me ponder a bit, maybe if it ever goes on a super sale or something I’ll buy some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 RAM Rebel Eco Diesel
3 Posts
Def issues whats that this bus was still running great with no codes or issues. But is uses the same def as the rest of there fleet which most have little to no buildup. A lot of the issues seem to come from drive cycles and warm up times.
View attachment 88382
That's a major buildup, which means the engine is not burning all the (excess) injected DEF into the chamber.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
That's a major buildup, which means the engine is not burning all the (excess) injected DEF into the chamber.
Def is not burned at all. It’s designed to evaporate when injected into the exhaust stream and change the chemical properties of the exhaust to make it react across the scr properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you spill a little of the regular DEF on the pavement it will crystallize after a little while. The platinum DEF will not. At least that was my experience. That is the reason I use it.
Little Texas

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
If you spill a little of the regular DEF on the pavement it will crystallize after a little while. The platinum DEF will not. At least that was my experience. That is the reason I use it.
Little Texas
You did this side by side comparison and didn't post it on YouTube? C'mon man.

I really don't think they can formulate Urea to not crystalize, but whatevs.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hi: All... I keep getting a message "Improper DEF detected See Dealer". I've had the same stuff in the tank all along. I've had the same bottle of Bourbon open and never had a message!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
To stop or slow the crysallization, there would have to be something else in the mix other than urea and water. Maybe a little poly propylene glycol to slow the evaperation rate. I've used that in other applications where I didn't want to add a volatile componenet to the mix. They might only need a few hundredths of a percent, so too small to show up on the label and sds.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hi: All... I keep getting a message "Improper DEF detected See Dealer". I've had the same stuff in the tank all along. I've had the same bottle of Bourbon open and never had a message!!!
I'm betting the Bourbon is the same brand.........but I highly doubt its the same bottle !

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hadn't heard of that distillery until today. That makes at least 4 in Iowa. Templeton Rye is on the western side and mkaes some pretty good stuff. Supposed to be the same recipe they used during Prohibition.

·
Registered
900 Posts
So all this talk of checking the injectors, etc. has anyone done a step-by-step video or ? and how difficult a job is it? I'm always a bit worried to do some of these things to my truck as I don't want to break anything.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts