RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
9,776 Posts
So all this talk of checking the injectors, etc. has anyone done a step-by-step video or ? and how difficult a job is it? I'm always a bit worried to do some of these things to my truck as I don't want to break anything.
This was posted some time ago and the first page of the attached PDF will show the connector removal.

Two snaps, material seems stronger than it looks from the outside. Should be fine there. When you remove that you will see how to pull def line off of injector. Squeeze clips in, pull off. Very easy. Where the injector mounts in the port there is a spring clip. Flat tip screwdriver, release both sides and it will fall off. Then slide the retainer straight up and remove it. You will see what I'm talking about when you start. Slide the flat plate off to the side. The injector will then pull straight out. There is a big rubber ring that holds it pretty snug but not bad. I used the connector on the injector to work it out. Once the injector was out I pulled the Allen head screw and pulled the band clamp apart just enough the clear the port. Then the port will pretty much fall off. It's actually pretty simple. There are little tabs on the port so it will only sit in the scr one way. And there is a little spacer or something between the port and scr. Don't lose that.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
This was posted some time ago and the first page of the attached PDF will show the connector removal.

Two snaps, material seems stronger than it looks from the outside. Should be fine there. When you remove that you will see how to pull def line off of injector. Squeeze clips in, pull off. Very easy. Where the injector mounts in the port there is a spring clip. Flat tip screwdriver, release both sides and it will fall off. Then slide the retainer straight up and remove it. You will see what I'm talking about when you start. Slide the flat plate off to the side. The injector will then pull straight out. There is a big rubber ring that holds it pretty snug but not bad. I used the connector on the injector to work it out. Once the injector was out I pulled the Allen head screw and pulled the band clamp apart just enough the clear the port. Then the port will pretty much fall off. It's actually pretty simple. There are little tabs on the port so it will only sit in the scr one way. And there is a little spacer or something between the port and scr. Don't lose that.
Ok... doesn't sound that easy but once you get it out/off then what? You can look at the injector and clean it? What about what's inside?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Ok... doesn't sound that easy but once you get it out/off then what? You can look at the injector and clean it? What about what's inside?
Hi: kmcintyre... I've hoid that it's not easy to "Dry clean" them but steam cleaning will melt away any crystaline deposits!!! My Ram dealer did mine during one of the MIL light on searches about 4- 5,000 kms ago.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Administrator
9,776 Posts
Hi: kmcintyre... I've hoid that it's not easy to "Dry clean" them but steam cleaning will melt away any crystaline deposits!!! My Ram dealer did mine during one of the MIL light on searches about 4- 5,000 kms ago.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I'm still using Platinum in both trucks! No more DEF problems!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
DEF has got to be the only product that has not gone up in price since Covid struck. Actually cheaper now.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
DEF has got to be the only product that has not gone up in price since Covid struck. Actually cheaper now.
Walmart has the best prices on Platinum, but I have a hard time getting it. An employee in automotive told me that a pallet of Platinum is pretty much gone in 2 - 3 days, then it could take a few weeks before they get another pallet. I bought three boxes when I saw the above picture.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
I'm still using Platinum in both trucks! No more DEF problems!
I'm still over here LMAO that there is now a boutique DEF fluid. I guess it was only a matter of time :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: bobcat67

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ok, so what's the final consensus on the topic..........

Yes, there are ALOT of snake oil products out there and uber premium products like am***, but if it works in a way that eliminates crystalline buildup its worth consideration. Hell, there was a time when bottled water was a joke, who would pay for water.....It's free.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Ok, so what's the final consensus on the topic..........
Those who do not have adequate heat cycles will eventually develop crystallization issues with normal DEF. The Platinum DEF has a synthetic additive that prevents crystallization. Those who have normal driving heat cycles will not have near the issues with crystallization. So, it really depends on your driving habits.

Technology changes and improves with time. It shouldn't be shocking that an additive, like DEF, can have technological advancements, especially since DEF is a relativity new product in the automotive world. Just look at Pennzoil Platinum. It's made from natural gas instead of crude oil. That's a technological advancement even though engine oil has been around for decades.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,169 Posts
Those who do not have adequate heat cycles will eventually develop crystallization issues with normal DEF. The Platinum DEF has a synthetic additive that prevents crystallization. Those who have normal driving heat cycles will not have near the issues with crystallization. So, it really depends on your driving habits.

Technology changes and improves with time. It shouldn't be shocking that an additive, like DEF, can have technological advancements, especially since DEF is a relativity new product in the automotive world. Just look at Pennzoil Platinum. It's made from natural gas instead of crude oil. That's a technological advancement even though engine oil has been around for decades.
Thanks for your explanation

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you are tuned you can run with distilled water, not DEF, and there will be zero crystallization. I suspect that would also clean a crystallized DEF injector.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I still impressed that people believe Peak talking about Peak. Paid YouTubers and spilled DEF getting more highlights than the fact we are all screwed.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts