RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here planning on using this new formulation once it hits the shelves? After experiencing performance with my '20 that is similar to my '15's when it was new, I'm kind of thinking that half of my issues with the performance of my 15 were because of the DPF and this stuff is supposed to produce less build up of deposits on the DPF caused by the chemical reaction of the DEF fluid.

Since my DPF is new I'm anxious to start using it.

-Bill

·
Registered
770 Posts
Anyone here planning on using this new formulation once it hits the shelves? After experiencing performance with my '20 that is similar to my '15's when it was new, I'm kind of thinking that half of my issues with the performance of my 15 were because of the DPF and this stuff is supposed to produce less build up of deposits on the DPF caused by the chemical reaction of the DEF fluid.

Since my DPF is new I'm anxious to start using it.

-Bill
It’s a complete crock of shit, what additive could they possibly put in distilled water and urea? Secret squirrel shit premium BS Water? No, complete waste of time and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a complete crock of shit, what additive could they possibly put in distilled water and urea? Secret squirrel shit premium BS Water? No, complete waste of time and money
So you won't be using it then ;) Who would have thunk we'd be pouring urea and water into our exhausts 15 years ago but someone understood the science. No reason to believe this is a crock.

Reactions: bobcat67

·
Registered
770 Posts
So you won't be using it then ;) Who would have thunk we'd be pouring urea and water into our exhausts 15 years ago but someone understood the science. No reason to believe this is a crock.
I agree to a point, urea injection is nothing new. We were using it in the Green River Basin on drilling rig generators in 2008 when it was deemed an environmentally sensitive area. Not sure when the practice started up there, pretty sure we weren’t the first when Shell was operating in the area. The commercial availability of the fluid was a struggle, and it wasn’t called DEF at the time, pretty sure we sourced agricultural urea / water mixture.
This is a scam, albeit there may be some additive or different type of purified water or maybe more pure urea, but use the vehicle as designed and odds are the system will have no issues, I guarantee you will not notice any power increase, and the DPF and SCR Catalyst are different materials, not usually a combined unit from my experience. You wanna throw money away it is your prerogative. I will tell you this, I am a believer in fuel additives and what not, think your money would be better spent on something like BetterDiesel FBC. An additive that I use and personally have seen fantastic results in the performance is my emissions system.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is for those who drive short trips where the system doesn't get hot enough to burn off the buildup. Peak's assertion is that vehicles where the engines are dosing below 250°c, which is where the buildup occurs, will benefit from the new formulation. In my case I have days and weeks where I do short, stop and go stuff and then I have those days where I get the truck up to temp for prolonged periods of time.

I'm not expecting a power increase, just hope it reduces the power and mileage loss caused by clogged filters as the vehicle ages.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is for those who drive short trips where the system doesn't get hot enough to burn off the buildup. Peak's assertion is that vehicles where the engines are dosing below 250°c, which is where the buildup occurs, will benefit from the new formulation. In my case I have days and weeks where I do short, stop and go stuff and then I have those days where I get the truck up to temp for prolonged periods of time.

I'm not expecting a power increase, just hope it reduces the power and mileage loss caused by clogged filters as the vehicle ages.
Hope it works, but I think you may wanna look into that additive I mentioned above. It works wonders for DPF’s and emissions systems

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,582 Posts
If Peak is saying the DEF formula will reduce build up in the DPF, that a load of horse poop. DEF is injected into the SCR which is downstream of the DPF, so the DEF doesn't see the inside of
the DPF.
The deposits that Peak is probably referring to is crystalized Urea in the SCR and on the DEF injector. It won't have anything to do with deposit build up of soot in the DPF.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I misspoke, they say SCR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts