RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who think Peak BlueDEF Platinum is just a marketing gimmick here is my DEF injector at the 30,000 mile oil change after 10,000 miles running 100% Peak BlueDEF Platinum.

When I bought the truck I filled it up with standard Peak BlueDEF, then Peak released their BlueDEF Platinum and I filled it up with that when it needed to be refiled but it was diluted with the older BlueDEF when I pulled the DEF injector at 10,000 mile oil change and it was completely caked with crystalized DEF the entire inner cone was crystalized DEF as was the opening of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid canister.

At the 20,000 mile oil change I still was not at full 100% Peak BlueDEF Platinum but the DEF injector was half full of crystalized DEF after the 10,000 mile oil change run and the opening where the DEF injector plugs into the Diesel Exhaust Fluid canister had only a thin film of crystalized DEF build up around it.

I now have 100% Peak BlueDEF Platinum in the DEF tank and after the 30,000 mile oil change the DEF injector is nice and clean, I can say with real world use that Peak BlueDEF Platinum does work as advertised, I am not affiliated with Peak, I do not receive anything from peak, I have to buy the Peak BlueDEF Platinum at the local auto parts store just like everyone else.

Standard BlueDEF will crystalize and plug up the cone of the DEF injector and will also start to plug up the hole where the DEF injector plugs into the Diesel Exhaust Fluid canister.

The Peak BlueDEF Platinum works once you get all the old regular DEF out of the system and have it full of BlueDEF Platinum. Here is a photo of my DEF Injector.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Good feedback glad to know of a product that actual performs as stated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So Persian cat piss IS better than Calico cat piss. Cool....

Seriously though, you're the first to actually show any evidence of a difference so thanks for including that.

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,206 Posts
Thanks for a great report! The first one with real life proof that Platinum is beneficial. Zero crystallization is worth the cost.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a little confusing the way I wrote it in the post:

1. First 10,000 mile oil change was on regular BlueDEF. Injector and opening of the DEF canister were both completely caked with DEF crystallization.

2. Second 10,000 mile oil change at the 20,000 mile mark was a 60% BlueDEF Platinum and 40% regular BlueDEF. Injector was half caked with DEF crystallization and the opening of the DEF canister only has a small amount of DEF crystallization around the ring of it.

3. Third 10,000 mile oil change at the 30,000 mile mark was 100% Peak BlueDEF Platinum and the DEF injector was clean as was the opening.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It is a little confusing the way I wrote it in the post:

1. First 10,000 mile oil change was on regular BlueDEF. Injector and opening of the DEF canister were both completely caked with DEF crystallization.

2. Second 10,000 mile oil change at the 20,000 mile mark was a 60% BlueDEF Platinum and 40% regular BlueDEF. Injector was half caked with DEF crystallization and the opening of the DEF canister only has a small amount of DEF crystallization around the ring of it.

3. Third 10,000 mile oil change at the 30,000 mile mark was 100% Peak BlueDEF Platinum and the DEF injector was clean as was the opening.
That's the way I read it. What is most interesting is the Platinum in step 3 apparently cleaned or removed the crystallization left in step 2 (Or did you clean it again in step 2?). If it did clean, that's monumental.

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's the way I read it. What is most interesting is the Platinum in step 3 apparently cleaned or removed the crystallization left in step 2 (Or did you clean it again in step 2?). If it did clean, that's monumental.
This is what I was going to ask also. Did he manually clean the nozzle each time? Or did the Persian cat piss do all the cleanup work on its own after he made the switch?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If this has some sort of cleansing effect that would be WELL worth the added premium cost.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the DEF injector at both the 10,000 mile oil change and the 20,000 mile oil change. This time there was no DEF crystallization on the DEF injector or in the hole where it mounts to the DEF canister on the exhaust.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what I was going to ask also. Did he manually clean the nozzle each time? Or did the Persian cat piss do all the cleanup work on its own after he made the switch?
Peak is up front telling you that it will not eliminate DEF deposits that are already there, what it does is help to keep deposits to a minimum with the Platinum DEF.

·
Registered
2019 Classic Laramie CC
118 Posts
I have been using Platinum too since it has been available, have only used two jugs so far but have never added more than a jug at a time. I will be adding the third jug soon. I have about 12k miles on mine now. I had a PO20ee code at about 3k miles, the three bolt exhaust flange was loose and sucking a bit of air I think causing the code. Tightened the bolts up, removed the injector to see what it looked like, nice and clean. Code has not come back. When I do my next oil change I will pull the def injector again and see what it looks like. I am also happy to see some real world proof that it works and I have not been wasting my money.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
What I don't understand is many many diesel owners go the entire length of ownership on standard DEF with no crystallization on the injector. Then some others have crystallization. Why do you suppose that is?

I think there's more at play here than your unscientific testing. I'd say environment or other factors are at play. Otherwise no way to explain why, before Platinum piss was introduced, crystallization was totally random.

Reactions: DATA

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What I don't understand is many many diesel owners go the entire length of ownership on standard DEF with no crystallization on the injector. Then some others have crystallization. Why do you suppose that is?
Bounty,
The "many many diesel owners go the entire length of ownership on standard DEF with no crystallization on the injector." are like me. I've never checked the injector, have no idea if crystallized or not. What makes you say that they, and me, have no crystallization?

Reactions: Polymers

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Maybe i'm oversimplifying this but to me it's akin to my overpriced European Coffee Maker in order to keep it working properly they recommend filtered drinking water and not distilled, tap water can be used but every 3 months a descaling chemical must be cycled in order to remove the calcified buildup on the internals.

This lends itself to make sense that premium DEF is simply a more refined and processed product that doesn't necessarily prevent buildup but lessens the probability therefore a cleaner system.

That's fair and worth a few more peso's.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Bounty,
The "many many diesel owners go the entire length of ownership on standard DEF with no crystallization on the injector." are like me. I've never checked the injector, have no idea if crystallized or not. What makes you say that they, and me, have no crystallization?
One word. Trouble codes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For those of us that have had DEF issues, this is cheap insurance. I had the DEF pump replaced 2x, I was cleaning the injector after a while but too late as the code turned into the Death countdown and eventually it was the pump.
My theory is that I drive freeways and no towing and my DEF consumption is like one tank= 15k miles so maybe it cakes up?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts