RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
What I don't understand is many many diesel owners go the entire length of ownership on standard DEF with no crystallization on the injector. Then some others have crystallization. Why do you suppose that is?
According to Peak Blue, it boils down to heat cycles. They specifically say that regular DEF will be fine for those who run hot heat cycles. Those who do a lot of shot commutes and do not have hot heat cycles will have a higher build up of deposits. To eliminate deposits, one should run the Platinum. The biggest issue I've had with my 2015 was a clogged DEF injector throwing the "Reductant Pressure Too High" code. It took several trips to the dealer before they figured it out. The DEF injector was replaced under my extended warranty 3 years ago. Since then, I've been running Platinum and haven't had any more issues.

Reactions: pizza442

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
So is there is a recommended maintenance interval for cleaning the DEF injector(s)?
There's not a recommended maintenance interval. I would suggest cleaning the injector every 2 years/30,000 miles or using Platinum DEF. My truck was already throwing the "Reductant Pressure Too High" code at 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I wonder if climate has any effect on the def injector, cold weather regions seem to face more challenges :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I wonder if climate has any effect on the def injector, cold weather regions seem to face more challenges :unsure:
I'm sure cold weather doesn't help. I'm just glad that synthetic DEF (Platinum) is available for those of us who would otherwise have to deal with deposits. It's not cheap, but it's worth it to me.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Premium Member
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 5.7 ft bed Laramie
96 Posts
what is the definition of 'synthetic' DEF? It is 38% urea which is made by reacting natural gas with air (80% nitrogen). Does Peak use a different manufacturing process?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
what is the definition of 'synthetic' DEF? It is 38% urea which is made by reacting natural gas with air (80% nitrogen). Does Peak use a different manufacturing process?
I have no idea what the definition of synthetic urea is. I just know that Platinum is a "highly pure synthetic urea" which is a "proprietary formula".

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Isn't it all synthetic? As in 'synthesized urea', as opposed to actual animal urine?
Well, there are scientific definitions and legal definitions of synthetic. I'm old enough to remember all the litigations over synthetic engine oil. Ultimately, the legal opinion gave a more liberal view of what could be classified as synthetic, while the scientific opinion was stricter. Engine oil has different base stocks (group 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5). In short, group 3 base stocks are now considered synthetic since they have reached a point of refinement that differ from group 2 oils. From a more scientific opinion, many would argue that group 4 and 5 oils are truly synthetic.

Perhaps the same standard could be applied to DEF. Regular urea might be less refined than a higher grade of urea. It makes sense to me that the industry standard was to produce the cheapest DEF for mass production. A decade later, we learned the pros and cons of regular DEF. So, PEAK decided they wanted to improve the product by using a more refined product, which costs more, but has benefits. Just like engine oil, you get to choose which DEF you want to run in your truck.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
The DEF injector was replaced under my extended warranty 3 years ago. Since then, I've been running Platinum and haven't had any more issues.
Since the injector was replaced at the same time you began running the boutique DEF, can you definitively say whether it's the boutique DEF or the new injector is the reason for no more problems?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Since the injector was replaced at the same time you began running the boutique DEF, can you definitively say whether it's the boutique DEF or the new injector is the reason for no more problems?
Yes, the old injector was clogged with deposits. The new injector has no trace of deposits on it. I'm having the same results as @RaceHillFarms. I plan to do a YouTube video on it one of these days. The boutique DEF is awesome!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think I was the first to start a thread on this subject even before it hit the shelves and I caught a lot of guff from everyone on how I was wasting my money and how stupid I was for believing the lying OEM claims. Glad to see some people have come around ;)

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Yes, the old injector was clogged with deposits. The new injector has no trace of deposits on it. I'm having the same results as @RaceHillFarms. I plan to do a YouTube video on it one of these days. The boutique DEF is awesome!
How many miles and years on that old injector before it started throwing a code?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
How many miles and years on that old injector before it started throwing a code?
The OE injector was replaced at 3 years/63,000 miles, but began having problems at around 50,000 miles. The replacement injector has lasted 2.5 years/37,000 miles.

If I remember correctly, it started out with "Reductant Pressure Too High". I could clear the code and be good for a period of time before it would come on again. Eventually, clearing the code wouldn't work and it would say "Service Def System" and "See Dealer, engine will not restart in 200 miles". Dealership #1 dropped the tank and cleaned it at around 50,000 miles. They checked the lines going to the DEF injector for any kinks, but apparently, they never checked the injector! The problem persisted, so they were about to replace the DEF pump (under warranty). However, I was forced to go to a different dealer (due to the countdown) since I was no longer able to clear the code. They said the DEF injector was pretty much completely plugged. They had to give me a loaner since there was a two-week backorder on the DEF injector.

Based on what I've read, the deposit issue is for those of us who do a lot of short commutes and not enough hot drive cycles. To give you an idea, I was driving 2 miles to work and 2 miles home for the first 4 years we owned it. The rest of the time we are towing and making long trips. Surprisingly, I haven't had any real issues with our 2015. The EGR cooler has been replaced twice (once at 40,000 miles and once at 93,000 miles), otherwise, the truck has been awesome. We have literally towed from coast to coast. I'm estimating that the 2015 will turn 100,000 miles sometime in the next two weeks.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
I'm skeptical of the 'heat cycle' theory as egt will quickly bring the thin exhaust and def injector up to operating temp.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I'm skeptical of the 'heat cycle' theory as egt will quickly bring the thin exhaust and def injector up to operating temp.
I've heard it discussed twice. Once was by a forum member who serviced city buses. The bus that had the most DEF clogging issues was the bus that did the shortest commutes. The buses that had the longest drive cycles had the least amount of deposit buildup. I also heard it discussed in one of the PEAK videos when they explained which type of customer would most likely benefit from Platinum. They said that if someone is driving long distances each day, then they don't need the Platinum.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
I've heard it discussed twice. Once was by a forum member who serviced city buses. The bus that had the most DEF clogging issues was the bus that did the shortest commutes. The buses that had the longest drive cycles had the least amount of deposit buildup. I also heard it discussed in one of the PEAK videos when they explained which type of customer would most likely benefit from Platinum. They said that if someone is driving long distances each day, then they don't need the Platinum.
So that's one source. The other is trying to sell you a bridge lol.

Sorry, I'm eternally skeptical, especially of gimmicks.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Did they define long distance? My commute is 40 miles
I watched the video two years ago, so I can't remember specific details. I'm pretty sure that a 40-mile commute would be considered a hot drive cycle assuming you're on the highway running at least 65 mph. I would pull the injector at some point and just take a look. You can also clean the injector with a steam cleaner if there's some buildup.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts