RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November 2019, I bought one of these things for my 2015 Ram 1500 Eco to help manage the hesitation caused by the flash update to fix the emission problem. It did fix the hesitation BUT, I have taken it off the truck in May 2020, permanently. Here is why:

1) NO improvement in fuel economy; in fact, worse economy at all settings
2) Throws a code every so often, 1000-3000 kms. Engine light comes on. I take out the PC, disconnect the ground at the battery, and the engine light goes away. Reinstall the PC, and then rinse and repeat after 1000-3000 kms. Cripple mode means you get to do this on the side of the highway in the rain sometimes. A real pleasure.

I would not recommend this product. It's qualities are over hyped, and the down side is obvious. I also cannot help but wonder if it can cause other issues with the truck of which we are not being advised.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Was it advertised as improving fuel economy?

First I've heard of it putting a truck into limp mode, but anything is possible with sensor trickery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it advertised as improving fuel economy?

First I've heard of it putting a truck into limp mode, but anything is possible with sensor trickery.
It is definitely advertised as improving fuel economy at the lower settings.

Limp mode comes if one ignores the engine light for more than a few kilometres. The engine light came from the code, which came from the PC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry but I do not have a reader, so I do not know. I learned that the re set trick was to disconnect the ground on the battery, wait a few minutes, and then hook it up again. Other than that I cannot provide more information. What I can tell you though, is that when the PC is not connected (as is presently the case) I do not have the problem. It is a shame. I bought the thing on Amazon, and am beyond the refund time to return it. So I'm stuck with a souvenir, and I am disappointed it did not work as advertised.

·
Registered
861 Posts
JDC, did you get VA7? My 2015 is running like new!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have had no problem with the one on my 2017 ED Ram. Certainly no improvement in mpgs, though. I used to put in eco mode when roads were very slippery, but now I just leave it in Sport
+2. The PC may work fine on somebody else's Ram. If you have a buddy with another Ram, let him or her try it. You may still be able to sell it once you verify the PC is not defective.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I certainly didnt buy mine for fuel economy so wont respond to that, but in a year I haven't had a hiccup one out of mine. It just works. I have read that the eco modes lower the throttle voltage to a point that it may occasionally throw a code.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I certainly didnt buy mine for fuel economy so wont respond to that, but in a year I haven't had a hiccup one out of mine. It just works. I have read that the eco modes lower the throttle voltage to a point that it may occasionally throw a code.
I dont have one on my ecodiesel but I heard the same thing. I bought one for my wife's 2019 hemi and got her a cheap obd code reader in case it set a cel. That was 7,000 miles ago. No codes but we also dont have it in economy mode.
You really had to step on it to get it to move. The PC woke it up big time. We have it set at sport +1. It's a blast to drive now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have one on my ecodiesel but I heard the same thing. I bought one for my wife's 2019 hemi and got her a cheap obd code reader in case it set a cel. That was 7,000 miles ago. No codes but we also dont have it in economy mode.
You really had to step on it to get it to move. The PC woke it up big time. We have it set at sport +1. It's a blast to drive now.
I have heard nothing but good things when the PC is used on other engines. Just to be clear, the codes came regardless of what setting the PC was on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a PC on my truck, and I have had codes thrown numerous times ( P2127) and one other I can’t recall. It does go into limp mode but I’ve been able to drive thru it. I called PC and talked with them a couple of times. After last code thrown, I sent it in to be checked. Got it back and re-installed it a couple weeks ago, and it threw P 2127 again. I currently have it disconnected and will contact PC again when I get some free time. Until then I’m going to leave it disconnected. If the problem persists, I’ll just get rid of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet. Due for a service soon, will get it then. Maybe it will help. Most reports are positive.
I have now had the service done to fix the hesitation (VA7) and it works really well. The Pedal Commander, though, is now a souvenir of a product that I bought through Amazon (meaning there is no responsibility by PC to take it back as defective or anything else), and of course it cannot be returned for its cost on the grounds that it did not work. Live and learn, I guess. Good news is that the truck is now functioning as it did when I first got it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts