RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What do you think the MPG difference is between the 4WD vs the 2WD?

Thanks Jim
It depends on what you mean.
If comparing a 2WD Ram to an similar 4WD model driven in 2WD, the official highway numbers are 28 and 27.
If comparing a 4WD Ram in 2WD versus 4WD auto, probably less than 0.5 mpg.
If comparing a 4WD Ram in 2WD versus 4WD hi-range, probably a little over 1 mpg.

The weight penalty for adding 4WD is about 220 to 265 lbs depending on the model. That is a minor economy factor at highway speed where wind and rolling resistance are the biggest factors. Where the weight hurts is payload capacity and balance (front heavy with light loads).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm averaging 23 mpg with my 4x4 with 3:55's mostly highway. I have to really baby it to get 28 to 30 on the highway but that's no fun...
I'm not at full efficiency with only 1k on her and I haven't towed anything yet. I think the rings seated recently as well. Just before I fueled up the engine note changed (a little deeper sound).
The EVIC says different but my OCD makes me hand calculate every fill up.
I also have a tendency to crack the throttle once the turbo spools up to remind myself that the truck is powerful as the hesitation on take of is horrible... I HATE drive by wire!!!
I expect it will get 2 mpgs better once at full efficiency even with my frequent adrenalin rushes. This is not my first break in on an engine so I know I need to work the engine a bit more and ill start towing this week.
I can't see a 2 wheel drive getting much better with the amount of torque these trucks put out at just 2000 rpms and an 8 speed that keeps you right at the top of the torque curve no mater what speed your going.

"Add in" I also grabbed the protection package which added 2 pretty beefy skid plate I would add 80 pounds or so for those.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Significant.

I don't know where you are from so that may be a factor. You speak of fuel mileage. Others have correctly told you it's not significant on the highway. I agree. Where it's significant is when you need four-wheel drive. You can sure burn lots of fuel when stuck and trying to get out. It can be quite expensive if you lose traction and wreck. Pulling a boat up a ramp can cost you both fuel and tires if you only have two-wheel drive. Wet grass and dirt trails can cost you lots of fuel and damage if you don't have four-wheel drive.

Then, if/when you sell, a two-wheel drive has fewer buyers that also may cost you.

If you use a truck, as a truck, a two-wheel drive pickup is not really a "truck".

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've put 750 mile on the new rig. Being that it probably takes 1000 miles to break in the new drive train, I have averaged 23 MPG with a combo of 50%/50% highway city driving.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I definitely agree with the captain on this. A 1-2 mpg hit for a 4x4 is well worth the price. I would never consider buying a 2 wheel drive truck even though 99% of the time it will be in 2wd. That being said I've been averaging 25mpg mixed and 29.5mpg highway at 70mph. My old Honda CRV that I had in college would be lucky to hit those numbers, and that's almost 50% better than my 2013 Tacoma, so I'm very happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts