RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a while for a mounting solution for my phone (use the built in GPS all the time). I didn't opt for the NAV (I think it's a waste compared to the up to date phone navigation apps such as Waze) and the phone placement in the middle bin isn't optimal.

Recently I upgraded to a Nexus 6 phone which also has Qi wireless charging.

Only had to buy 2 additional items, the mount and the Qi wireless charging pad.

RAM Mount Universal S-Grip IV Flex Adhesive Mount RAP-B-378-UN10
RAM Flex Adhesive Mount with Universal X-Grip® Cell Phone Holder

Anker USB Ultra-Slim Qi Wireless Charging Pad
Amazon.com: Anker® Ultra-Slim Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 (2013), Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2, HTC 8X / Droid DNA and All Qi-Enabled Devices (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

The RAM Mount (not just for RAM trucks but that is their brand name) comes in different sizes so you will have to measure your phone.

I glued the Anker QI Wireless charging pad to the back of the RAM Mount. Before you glue be sure to test the best placement of the charging pad. I shifted mine to the side because the charging spot on the back of the phone is not in the middle.

There are some mounts out there that mount right in the middle of the dash but I didn't want to take up that spot because my sunglasses fit perfectly there.

Added a rubberized case to my phone and no problems charging thru the case.

IMG_20150319_172006_189.jpg IMG_20150319_182508_108.jpg
IMG_20150319_182520_826.jpg IMG_20150319_182324_478.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
The F150 has a built in Qi charging pad under the tray that on our trucks is just beneath the heated seat controls. That wouldn't help if you needed to view your phone, but would be cool to just toss the phone in the tray and have it charge the battery. I've got one of these pads on the way...

QI Wireless CAR Charger Transmitter Holder Silicone Cradle Bracket NEW Excellent | eBay

XYQ4120307A_20141204024928247.jpg

I'm hoping it will fit in that tray, or in the upper part of the centre console.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those charging pads which are easy, but yes I wanted to mount my phone up cause I use it as my GPS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day, how this would cost almost nothing for the manufacturer to integrate this into the center console, hell someone could get creative and do it themselves wouldnt seem to hard maybe under that removable little tray under the center stack

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
You got me studying out that thing. Looks like a radar set-up. Then I thought it was four little speakers. That would be good to direct sound from my gps/phone answering thingie so I could hear it.

Unfortunately it is some kind of mounting cradle made to look like an air force radar installation. Got an education from this post. So much for little speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts