RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ,so I picked up my new ED today ! Truck looks great has more power than I expected and drives far better than expected.
Only problem is the dealer prep guys sprayed the tires to make them shine . While driving home from dealer approx 1.5 miles the tires kicked some of the tire shine onto the fender flares . I decided to put on my weather guard fender flares ,which by the way fit perfectly! ,so I had to clean the area first. I found all yellow stains from the tire shine on the flares ,it does not come off with wax ,bug and tar remover , mr clean sponge or anything else! Brought it back to Dealer and they tried all of the above including compound with a buffing wheel and nothing removed the spots!
So the dealer says they have to order me four new fender flares and that they can remove the existing ones without damaging the paint when removing the 3 m tape... The stains are worse than the pics show .
Any input would be great!,,

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is

UGH

That stinks. I feel your pain. At least the dealership is taking responsibility. I imagine the detail guy is up the creek, or should be

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
No boat no paddle.

Get out into some mud, stones and gravel. Beat the heck out of them so they look "distressed". Might be a new fashion statement?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern is can these knuckleheads at the dealer get these flares off without damaging the paint??
I know the 3 m tape is pretty sticky stuff!
I have not tried clay bar yet but will update . Capt ur idea will definetely work without question!!!
Ill keep u guys posted . Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wonder if you could use the same fishing line trick that was used to "de-badge" a truck in another thread here on this forum? Might be tough getting it between the flare and the fender, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did see that trick but like u said getting behind the bottom part of the flare may be a problem.!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure ,but will find out. I also googled " tire spray stained plastic wheel flares" an F- 150 forum member posted the same exact problem in 2007 ,tried everything under the. Sun and nothing worked . He purchased new flares and while he was waiting for the items to come in for approx 2 weeks the stains allegedly faded and went away ! I guess I'll wait a little to see what happens , hopefully someone on here could shed some light on the subject anyway.
Thanks again all! Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's why I wasn't brokenhearted, when we picked up the last 2 vehicles, that the dealership did not detail them. Cleaned/washed, sure, but no tire/interior/engine shine. I use stuff that works 100x better and lasts a very long time. Stands up to the desert sun/heat and doesn't dry rot your tires.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Doesn't sound like tire shine did that to me. Maybe some sort of tire/rim cleaner? That would be my bet.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
NDTGuy - What is that magic juju you use?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The idiot who detailed my truck tried to take out(hide) a tiny clear coat scratch and ended up putting a bunch of swirls in the area, i'v been working at it since I noticed it a week ago, anyone got a fool proof idea to get rid of some very very light swirls I have been using scratch doctor coating and buffing, everytime it seems to get a little less

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The idiot who detailed my truck tried to take out(hide) a tiny clear coat scratch and ended up putting a bunch of swirls in the area, i'v been working at it since I noticed it a week ago, anyone got a fool proof idea to get rid of some very very light swirls I have been using scratch doctor coating and buffing, everytime it seems to get a little less
Clay bar and then buff it with an electric buffer. Gotta know what you're doing or you'll make it worse though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try Oxy-clean laundry liquid cleaner. It worked on my fiberglass boat to remove some stains. Just rub some on the surface and after a few minutes wash it off. Can't do any harm to try.

Reactions: OurdoorsmanEco

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Oxy clean eh worth a try I suppose!
The clay bar/buffer idea sounds good, problem is I have no idea what I am doing so I am bound to make it worse....(i have come to believe most detail shops don't have a clue either)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
clay bar is pretty simple... it just requires some sweat equity!

seriously, you can go buy a claybar kit like "mcguiars" really nothing to it - you use the spray on a small area first and then use clay bar over it, back and forth, not in a circle. doesn't need to be 'max muscle' effort here and keep the area you are working on small. just take your time, once done with claybar, finish with a polish and then wax, or if you are just beat at that point, go right to wax finish.

if the claybar starts to 'clump' up that means you need to spray more....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will try clay bar today when I get home from work, and the magic eraser ,. At this point anything is worth a try !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will try clay bar today when I get home from work, and the magic eraser ,. At this point anything is worth a try !!
Hey I know this thread is old and wondering if you actually got the stains off the flares? I bought a new white 2016 1500 Laramie and during inspection before delivery, I noticed these exact brownish yellow stains on my flares... Could not come out, the dealer tried so many things. long story short, I got pissed off with them and walked off told the manager I'm not buying a truck that needs repairs. What pissed me off is that they wer talking about repainting, loaner truck, body shop, and I havnt even taken delivery of it yet... Also had a small ding on side of bed that made me angry even more off cause I'm sure dealer knew about it but tried to pass it off. Just wondering if there's any hope with removing those stains? Ding is supposedly taken out but flares I'm still on the fence with. Will not accept a repaint anywhere...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts