RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been pulling this together over the last few weeks. It's a list of things I need to check when I take delivery of my truck, and since I'm taking delivery several hundred miles form home, better to check before delivery and sort out issues and responsibility then, than notice it a week later. Local dealers might not be too keen to process my warranty claims quickly given I bought elsewhere. ;)

This list is applicable to ME, with my truck and options, so here's what I'll suggest:

If you want to add to it, first copy & paste this base list, then add your bullet points.

If everyone does this, and takes the most current version from the most recent post, every new reader will see the most current, comprehensive version of the list. :D

• DEF should be full
  • tank of fuel
  • air suspension settings work
  • is truck level? (take a measuring tape)
  • rear power window binding
  • paint runs, swirls and distortion - check roof
  • water pump/coolant leak
  • power options all work (windows, sunroof, mirrors)
  • check rear axle for diff sticker (3.55/lsd)
  • no front window tint
  • no side steps
  • backup camera
  • all lights - interior and exterior
  • Uconnect nav working
  • coolant level
  • oil level
  • brake fluid level
  • windshield cleaner level
  • tire pressures (seen in EVIC)
  • seat heaters/coolers (front/rear)
  • steering wheel functions
  • bad smell from a/c, heater and vents? (coolant and hose issue)
  • trim - door handles, grab handles, seating surfaces, rear seat backs
  • rattle from sunroof on test drive
  • tailgate function
  • application of bedliner (sprayed in, lines straight, depth, coverage)
  • satellite radio operating properly
  • alignment of body panels - cab, doors, fenders, hood
  • alignment of bed to cab - bed lines line up
  • alignment of headlights, grill and bumpers
  • check tightness of battery terminals and wires
  • function of folding/power mirrors
  • function of rear folding seats and cargo floor
  • check under floor storage bins in rear cab

Take: pair of gloves, tape measure, flashlight

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What's your basis of measurement for checking if the truck is level? Ground to top of wheel well?

How are you checking depth of spray in liner?

Seems like a lot of "out of the gate" issues to be checking for. I assume you have compiled them from this or other forums?

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
One Eco at a local dealership was delivered crooked. Ram supplied new rear springs to correct the problem. Guaranteed. I both know and saw the details.

Run the windshield washer. Mine did not work today.

·
Registered
100 Posts
•DEF should be full

•tank of fuel

•air suspension settings work

•is truck level? (take a measuring tape)

•rear power window binding

•paint runs, swirls and distortion - check roof

•water pump/coolant leak

•power options all work (windows, sunroof, mirrors)

•check rear axle for diff sticker (3.55/lsd)

•no front window tint

•no side steps

•backup camera

•all lights - interior and exterior

•Uconnect nav working

•coolant level

•oil level

•brake fluid level

•windshield cleaner level

•tire pressures (seen in EVIC)

•seat heaters/coolers (front/rear)

•steering wheel functions

•bad smell from a/c, heater and vents? (coolant and hose issue)

•trim - door handles, grab handles, seating surfaces, rear seat backs

•rattle from sunroof on test drive

•tailgate function

•application of bedliner (sprayed in, lines straight, depth, coverage)

•satellite radio operating properly

•alignment of body panels - cab, doors, fenders, hood

•alignment of bed to cab - bed lines line up

•alignment of headlights, grill and bumpers

•check tightness of battery terminals and wires

•function of folding/power mirrors

•function of rear folding seats and cargo floor

•check under floor storage bins in rear cab

added - Check that both electronic "key fobs" work - both unlock and lock all doors and both key fobs start the engine

- all door locks and power windows work

- The actual metal "Key" works in the door lock and tailgate

- Any obvious damage - someone mentioned their satellite antenna was damaged and they did not notice for a few days

- All 'standard equipment' for YOUR ordered trim level is present (bring the build sheet)

- any 'options' either factory or dealer installed are present (again bring your build sheet)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I recommend bringing a camera to document the inspection.

I had a long checklist but when the time came it was difficult to go through it all. I wound up looking at about half of it. Mostly I examined the exterior and interior for obvious problems, took a short test drive and signed off on it. A few things not on your list that I included are check the vehicle with the build list I got from Ram, get window sticker with my name on it, verify that the latest updates and recalls are installed, test 4WD system, note odometer reading, note general cleanliness and, finally, check all paperwork for completeness and agreed upon prices and rebates.

One more thing: Enjoy your new truck! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry to jack this thread, but does anyone know the specs on the 20" wheels on a 2014 Ram 1500 Lonestar ? i know the bolt pattern is 5x139, looking for rim width & offset ??

thanks for the help ..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check window seals. Mine was folded over and was split. Also if ordered the protection package make sure u have both tow hooks. Was missing one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My new Eco is on order and is my first Chrysler product. Sounds like a lot of stuff wrong for many people! Is this typical?? Missing tow hook!!! Don't they have any internal inspections? What else did they forget to do?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Everymaker I am sure has issues like this, they produce a truck almost every minute so there is bound to be a issue here and there.... people only post things that go wrong it seems!! you don't here about the over 20000 other ecodiesel out there that are fine

Reactions: RB33 and gardo403

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
what chris just posted was what i was going - forums are great because they do help with your experience (ie learn from others); they are also a curse as more often than not you only see the exceptions (bad) not the normal (good). people rarely say "everything's fine, nothing to worry about" :)

its good to have some information but don't let it bog you down and make you think your ED is going to be the ONE that has ALL the problems....because its probably not...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
There is seriously over 20 thousand ram1500 eco's built now if you take it in that context the few problems we have heard have been not so bad most are little things easily fixed... my Finlaw bought a new (in 2010) f150 he had the rear end replace before he hit 15K and his passenger mirror was loose right from the factory.... just an example for ya

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry to jack this thread, but does anyone know the specs on the 20" wheels on a 2014 Ram 1500 Lonestar ? i know the bolt pattern is 5x139, looking for rim width & offset ??

thanks for the help ..
Well then don't jack the damn thread! Why the heck wouldn't you just post a proper thread for this question? Geez...

OK, updated the list with notes from others:

• DEF should be full
  • tank of fuel
  • paint runs and swirls - on roof etc.
  • power options all work (locks, windows, sunroof, mirrors)
  • no front window tint
  • no side steps
  • backup camera
  • Uconnect nav working
  • coolant level
  • oil level
  • brake fluid level
  • tailgate function
  • alignment of bed to cab - bed lines line up
  • check underfloor storage bins in rear cab
  • check that both electronic "key fobs" work - both unlock and lock all doors and both key fobs start the engine
  • the actual metal "key" works in the door lock and tailgate
  • any obvious damage - satellite antenna OK?
  • all 'standard equipment' for YOUR ordered trim level is present (bring the build sheet)
  • any 'options' either factory or dealer installed are present (again bring your build sheet)
  • tow hooks
  • skid plates
  • test 4wd in all modes
  • check for latest software updates and all recalls
  • Take: pair of gloves, tape measure, flashlight, build sheet

Measuring the truck - from center of wheel arch, down to ground or a common location on the wheel - like center of hub. Truck must be on level ground. Typical measurements seen so far suggest that air suspension equipped trucks may have differences of up to 2 inches form side to side. Front to rear rake of up to 1.5" is expected.

And yeah, folks, let's add some common sense here - this is NOT a list of everything wrong with a truck. This is a list of things a few random people - of the thousands and thousands of owners out there, have seen PLUS things it occurred to me to check myself. But hey, if YOU are taking delivery, does it make sense to check for things like what's on this list, or would you be happier taking it on faith everything is fine? Me, I'm checking before I sign for my very expensive purchase. I expect my truck to have pretty much zero issues, but it doesn't hurt to check.

In the end, checking for everything here might take me 30 minutes, maybe a bit more, and much can be done on a test drive.

For the love of dog, don't start getting worried that YOUR new truck will have failures with everything in this list.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Great list so far! I would also do this if I just dropped $50k in a truck! That's the engineer in me. I'll have to bookmark this list when the day comes to order my own. Waiting for the right timing in my finances. Probably looking more like 2015 RAM at this time. Love staying up to date here with this forum.

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the checklist! I will use it later this week when I pick mine up!!!

Reactions: CB919

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
UPDATED LIST as of June 11, 2014

Added a couple things based on threads I read last night - fog light functionality and door lock functionality - this latter one particularly applies to those with the auto-lock option, as you might not realize the door locks DON'T work as this system changes your behavior when interacting with the truck.

For those new to the list at this point - please note - some of the items apply to MY specific build, so you may or may not have an identical check list.

Included a point on inspecting the oil on a cold engine, and pre-work about calling the dealer ahead of time to insist the truck be cold when you arrive for delivery.

• DEF should be full
  • tank of fuel
  • paint runs and swirls - on roof etc.
  • power options all work (locks, windows, sunroof, mirrors)
  • no side steps (or sidesteps if ordered with the truck)
  • backup camera
  • Uconnect nav working
  • coolant level
  • oil level (done with cold engine - can take 30+ minutes of roil to drain back to oil pan)
  • brake fluid level
  • tailgate function
  • alignment of bed to cab - bedlines line up
  • check underfloor storage bins in rear cab
  • check that both electronic "key fobs" work - both unlock and lock all doors and both key fobs start the engine
  • the actual metal "key" works in the door lock and tailgate
  • any obvious damage - satellite antenna OK?
  • all 'standard equipment' for my ordered trim level is present (bring the build sheet)
  • any 'options' either factory or dealer installed are present (again bring the build sheet)
  • tow hooks
  • skid plates
  • test 4wd in all modes
  • test fog lights
  • test door locks - do all actually lock properly?
  • install of spray in bed liner
  • check for latest software updates and all recalls
  • Take: pair of gloves, tape measure, flashlight, build sheet
  • Insist truck is cold when you arrive - you want to start it yourself, let it warm up, then drive it - watch for any issues, leaks, etc. Inspect other features while truck is idling/warming up. Check oil prior to starting truck.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't forget to print a copy of this for next week... :)

Added idea: I shared this with my salesman so he knows what I'll be looking for when I review the truck on delivery. The dealer has their own list of checks for the PDI, but it's a different focus than ours, so a combo of the two seems like the way to go. No, they won't share their PDI checklist... :(

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sportsguy,
Can you add a line to check fender flares properly installed (no gaps) - based on 2 recent postings on the forum? I tried to copy/paste the existing list, but for some reason the "bullets" do not copy for me. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts