RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Can you follow the cord to the block, and let us know where the actual heater is?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya sure once I get some time. This weekend, been crazy busy with the kids lol, and yes it is the passenger head light....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20140420_085159.jpg
Thats the best i can do without crawling under there on easter....the wire snakes down right beside the passenger headlight back along the wheel well on the passenger side they start to wrap it with that shiny tinfoil like stuff at this point then it heads down towards the bottom of the motor.....sorry guy way to tight to get the camera down in there....i tried

·
Registered
150 Posts
I keep on meaning to bring the truck into my shop and put it on the lift. I'm curious about the goings on of everything not normally visible from above.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It is not in a very accessible place. I found it by going under the truck. It is near the bell housing. I would not want to try installing one after the fact. Thanks Chris for the photo, you are going to help a lot of people. Location is not mentioned in the EcoDiesel section, but it is mentioned in the Cummins section of the owners manual. :confused: I found the cord by going under the truck and tracing the cord from the heater up to where Chris' photo shows the plug. Then I saw it mentioned in the Cummins section. Oh well!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I looked yesterday and couldn't find the plug. Will try again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's a plug and play connection at the block. Theres a youtube video on installation just do a search for ram 1500 engine heater. I can vouch that the cord he uses in the video does work and is on amazon for less than $20. It wasn't as easy as he made it look but only took me about 20 minutes. I did have to jack up the front and crank the wheels to the right so I had room to go in through the wheel well

edit to add link

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,589 Posts
I looked yesterday and couldn't find the plug. Will try again.
Look through the passenger wheel well, here is a picture of mine. It's the reddish-orange connector. I covered the cord with high temperature split looms similar to the factory cord.

If you don't have the cord, there is the same color plug in the block heater.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's a plug and play connection at the block. Theres a youtube video on installation just do a search for ram 1500 engine heater. I can vouch that the cord he uses in the video does work and is on amazon for less than $20. It wasn't as easy as he made it look but only took me about 20 minutes. I did have to jack up the front and crank the wheels to the right so I had room to go in through the wheel well

edit to add link
Good description. I just hate the factory location that the plug comes out. Flopping around and smacking the hood as I'm not going to pop the hood open every time. My preferred location is route it down to the front tow hook.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good description. I just hate the factory location that the plug comes out. Flopping around and smacking the hood as I'm not going to pop the hood open every time. My preferred location is route it down to the front tow hook.
Get yourself an AC Port Plug. Options for the install are in the plastic cover where the tow hooks would be or the front air damm.

10857-front-bumper-block-heater-cord-outlet-20141113_144513.jpg 5456d1424785386-cheap-block-heater-cord-port-plug-2.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-Genius-GCP1-Black-13-Amp/dp/B009ANV81S/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AS55FX3HG55DJ6ZAKXTV

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm planning on running mine through the tow hook cover. But, I've been looking for a snap down cover like whats used for the trailer plugs, no luck with that yet though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts