RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the pittsburgh area and have a dealer they recommend for gen 3 ecodiesel service? So far not a good service experience at the dealer I purchased from.

I called last week to verify they had what was needed I was rushed off the phone and assured they did. When they couldn’t give me the cost of the service I should have realized it was a mistake choosing them.

Dropped truck off at 8am today
2pm they call and tell me they drained the oil but don’t have a filter, they are putting the old one back in and I can come back in a week or two to have it swapped out.

I had to ask them multiple times to drain the fuel filter, not sure if they did or didn’t as they kept telling me it just gets replaced at 15000. I gave up on explaining what the manual says and will just do it myself after I pick it up.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’ve used Rob Lewis in Waynesburg a lot. Not for oil changes but recall and inspections.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A lot of dealers are assuming it takes the same previous generations oil filter and are unaware the filter design has changed. Happened to me also. That was it’s last trio to a dealer. Did the 20k mike change myself. About to do the 30k change in a couple weeks.
draining water from fuel filter is easy. Changing it is easy as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

They also installed rotella t6 in the truck, and argued with me that it was correct but would not provide documentation stating so, I showed them the updated manual on my mopar site stating it has to meet ms-12991 and then showed them rotella t6 does not.
Their response was “our parts guy said its the same”

I spent last night cleaning the oil from under the truck, it appears they did not remove the cross bar and just let it drain all over it, then driving it caused it to spray everywhere.

The oil filter housing is also leaking now, I cleaned it up and snugged it down some more, made the leak slow down but still leaking, I’m assuming due to reusing the O-ring.

I ordered some of my own filters and oil and will be correcting all these issues myself once it comes in.

They also did not drain the fuel filter as it was completely dry around the housing and drain valve when I picked it up.

Picture showing the oil spray on underside of truck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
With the oil filter leaking make sure the oil filter housing isn’t cracked. I know you said they didn’t change it but they may have removed it then put it back on with too much torque and cracked it. I didn’t remove the cross member either. Just take a piece of cardboard and fold it to make a shoot for the oil and guid it past the cross member into your pan.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Curious what dealer you used. I know Cochran, who I otherwise like very much, has never been an EcoDiesel supporter (little to no inventory, assume very little mechanic training) so I would avoid that one.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
My major hang up with the diesel is knowing that there are very few sold. Therefore service "tech's" have no experience or knowledge with these engines.
Your experience with the dealer dumping in the wrong oil proves my worst fear correct.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
My son lives on a hill above Oakmont/Verona. He asked me a few years ago if an Ecodiesel would be good for him. I told him "No".

Drivers there often deals with long times crawling through traffic, slow speeds up and down, stop and go driving and often in colder temperatures. The time on the engine might be long but the operation is often very low rpm operation where engines just do not get hot. I think Pittsburgh is an awful place to have something that needs to run and run hard.

Just speculating why maybe dealers are not dealing with the Ecodiesel. Do know that dealer in Monroeville has a long reputation of inept sales and service. Son gave up on his Dodge/Chrusler vehicles and went to GM because of them. They even wanted to "steal" his 1970 Plymouth one time when he drove it to buy a new Dodge. Now there was air maybe is an decent service dealer in Delmont off Rt. 66 near Rt. 22. That is not Pittsburgh but if you are in the eastern part of the city, something to check on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My son lives on a hill above Oakmont/Verona. He asked me a few years ago if an Ecodiesel would be good for him. I told him "No".

Drivers there often deals with long times crawling through traffic, slow speeds up and down, stop and go driving and often in colder temperatures. The time on the engine might be long but the operation is often very low rpm operation where engines just do not get hot. I think Pittsburgh is an awful place to have something that needs to run and run hard.

Just speculating why maybe dealers are not dealing with the Ecodiesel. Do know that dealer in Monroeville has a long reputation of inept sales and service. Son gave up on his Dodge/Chrusler vehicles and went to GM because of them. They even wanted to "steal" his 1970 Plymouth one time when he drove it to buy a new Dodge. Now there was air maybe is an decent service dealer in Delmont off Rt. 66 near Rt. 22. That is not Pittsburgh but if you are in the eastern part of the city, something to check on.
I know that area very well and agree...unless you are running PA turnpike or I-79, or at least getting out of the city regularly, I would not want an ecodiesel there. Totally agree on that Monroeville dealership...AVOID. I think it's Hillview CDJR out in Delmont and I had positive experience there, but not related to service. They seem more small biz and customer focused. Would have to vet out their EcoDiesel experience though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hillview has quit a bet of experience on my emissions system . The one in delmont is victory, you could also check on Laurel valley on 30 by Latrobe the always seem to have some on there lot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curious what dealer you used. I know Cochran, who I otherwise like very much, has never been an EcoDiesel supporter (little to no inventory, assume very little mechanic training) so I would avoid that one.
Ron Lewis in Cranberry PA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts