RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at lunch time, I walked to the convention center downtown Pittsburgh to take a walk through. My interest was looking at trucks, and also talking to Nissan and Toyota.
I saw the Ford Transit Connect with the 3.2 inline 5, I popped the hood and looked at the motor. Nice van.

I talked to the Nissan factory reps, and the guy said "we don't even know what transmission is going to end up in the truck"...."We don't know what the chassis design will be".... "the frame and chassis will have to be so strong for the torque of the Cummins motor".

This tells me the roll out for the Nissan Titan 5.0 Cummins may make the Ram 1500 diesel roll out look fast....

The Toyota rep told me when I asked about the 5.0 Cummins in the Tundra "don't count on it, we don't even have direct injection on our gas motors".

I know the reps may not have been fully informed, or could have been intentionally vague... but looking at the guy's faces and body language, I think they were being straight with me....
What this told me was the 5.0 Cummins is not a done deal relative to the development. Sure there are pictures of test trucks in magazines, but it could be a ways away.
The power and torque of the cummins are appealing....., but after I was done talking to both Toyota and Nissan, my decision was firm on the Ram.

Also the Ford F150 aluminum was a beautiful truck.... that light chassis with a 5.0 V8 would run good.... but The Ford rep told me they are going the route of the 2.7 Ecoboost and he had heard of 30 mpg highway.. I would have to see that to believe it...

SO in a sea of cars and trucks, really the only sure thing in the diesel light duty was the Ram...... Talked to the Mrs and she gave the green lite !

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A 5.0L diesel would be appealing in a 2500 model and especially the Power Wagon, but it seems way too much power for a 1500. Ram considered this engine and chose the 3.0L instead because of mileage goals.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Today at lunch time, I walked to the convention center downtown Pittsburgh to take a walk through. My interest was looking at trucks, and also talking to Nissan and Toyota.
I saw the Ford Transit Connect with the 3.2 inline 5, I popped the hood and looked at the motor. Nice van.

I talked to the Nissan factory reps, and the guy said "we don't even know what transmission is going to end up in the truck"...."We don't know what the chassis design will be".... "the frame and chassis will have to be so strong for the torque of the Cummins motor".

This tells me the roll out for the Nissan Titan 5.0 Cummins may make the Ram 1500 diesel roll out look fast....

The Toyota rep told me when I asked about the 5.0 Cummins in the Tundra "don't count on it, we don't even have direct injection on our gas motors".

I know the reps may not have been fully informed, or could have been intentionally vague... but looking at the guy's faces and body language, I think they were being straight with me....
What this told me was the 5.0 Cummins is not a done deal relative to the development. Sure there are pictures of test trucks in magazines, but it could be a ways away.
The power and torque of the cummins are appealing....., but after I was done talking to both Toyota and Nissan, my decision was firm on the Ram.

Also the Ford F150 aluminum was a beautiful truck.... that light chassis with a 5.0 V8 would run good.... but The Ford rep told me they are going the route of the 2.7 Ecoboost and he had heard of 30 mpg highway.. I would have to see that to believe it...

SO in a sea of cars and trucks, really the only sure thing in the diesel light duty was the Ram...... Talked to the Mrs and she gave the green lite !
The chassis comments on the Titan suggest to me Heavy-Duty. I find it hard to believe they'll build a new frame for just one engine option in a half-ton segment with such tough competition, so I feel its starting to look like Nissan is leaning the way of the Heavy Duty. It would make sense on their part, because they can recycle lots of their stuff for the new truck and enter a whole new market instead of just attacking one very specific market segment.

700 LBS is not what I'd call a game-changer, so a 2.7L Ecoboost might beat the mileage but it won't do so with the same towing capacity. A truck cap weighs 300 or so LBS if its a big one, so 700 LBS isnt enough to make that small of a motor keep up with the one in the Ram.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Know where you were. I was a teacher at Penn Hills for 33 years. Retired in 1999 and moved to Florida. Still have some of my kids and a sister living there. Spent many a day working and doing things in the area. I was a Central Catholic grad.

As for the truck...I would have LOVED to have seen the 5.0 Cummins in a 2500 Ram. When they chose to stay with the stupid-big 6.7, I bailed to the 1500 with the 3.0. It will do what I need a pickup to do.

Put this in little letters. "Still wish for the Cummins". I just like to support America and the Cummins is just that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Capt I am from next school district over, Churchill. small world pal, all my brother's went to Central Catholic, oldest brother is 65 this week. Are you from Penn Hills?
I live in Mars now, after we moved back from Arizona in 1989, I moved to North part of Pittsburgh, the new Woodland Hills school district ruined the area.and killed property value. I married a girl from up by Pymatuning lake, and we settled in Mars.
My family owns Forest Hills Transfer Moving, now more trucking, so that's why I have been around diesel trucks since I was 4 years old, and why we had such an affinity for diesel autos and pick ups.
Yes, I really dig the cummons, Sean Holman of Diesel Power Mag sent me some e mail correspondence, he said the motor is a beast, runs real strong.... but no matter how much any company builds up a half ton chassis, the 5.0 Cummins, born on a drawing board in Columbus, Indiana, will tow more than the chassis can handle.... that tells me it's probably too much or an out of balance motor for a half ton.... I dig it too, and if fuel were not an uncertainty, I'd get a duramax.... but I truly think now that Ram 1500 is the best option, and will give the best and most consistent fuel economy.

You retired in time to get out while the getting was good...... area has gone down hill.. I admire how you live life, at 70, like Ted Nugent once said "kick as much ass between point A and point B as possible.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Still runnin' from "A" to "B". Just dropping my top speed a bit.

Sent you a PM abut Forest Hills and other places.

Lots of discussion everywhere about smaller diesels. One year I rode around for a couple days in Germany and France with a guy that had a small diesel in a Peugeat. (???) I was on motorcycle there but had some errends to run with his car. Wanted one like that here in the "States". They never came here and that was from the late 80's early '90's. Funny how Cummins never really built a smaller automative engine. Each one I can remember was sourced in Europe or Japan. My take is cheap gas reduced that market.

My first diesel was a GM 6.5 in a 1500 Chevy 4 X 4. Loved it for almost 200K. Far as I know it was the only diesel in a domestic 1500 until today.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Still runnin' from "A" to "B". Just dropping my top speed a bit.

Sent you a PM abut Forest Hills and other places.

Lots of discussion everywhere about smaller diesels. One year I rode around for a couple days in Germany and France with a guy that had a small diesel in a Peugeat. (???) I was on motorcycle there but had some errends to run with his car. Wanted one like that here in the "States". They never came here and that was from the late 80's early '90's. Funny how Cummins never really built a smaller automative engine. Each one I can remember was sourced in Europe or Japan. My take is cheap gas reduced that market.

My first diesel was a GM 6.5 in a 1500 Chevy 4 X 4. Loved it for almost 200K. Far as I know it was the only diesel in a domestic 1500 until today.
Its the most recent, but Dodge had one in the end of the 70's which was non-turbo I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts