RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone got a big problem that should’ve been solved by now. I’m gonna tell you from the beginning I bought a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel back in Sept. 2020 and it broke down in Oct. 2020. It has 79,XXX miles on it. Had the truck for 3 weeks and I stomped on the fuel pedal for some get up and go while getting on the highway and it sputtered, then stalled and couldn’t get it to start. Towed to my local Ram Dealer

Should also throw in I have lifetime power train through the dealer I bought it from (Holman’s GMC) and a extended warranty that covers all electrical components through Premier.

So here’s where it becomes annoying, it arrived at Mount Orab Ram back in October 2020, it is now January 11, 2021. The truck has been at the dealer for 3 months now. They said it had low fuel pressure after the high pressure fuel pump.

Within the 3 months they have replaced the high pressure fuel pump, PCM, and a fuel pressure sensor. They claim they have “Tested every part” in the fuel system. Even dropped the trans to check for a sensor I can’t remember the name of. Well none of that has worked.

Has anyone had this issue or similar? I’m losing my mind on this. I’m also starting to think the mechanic at Ram is incompetent. I could literally rebuild that motor, and the whole truck in that time frame. Please I need some suggestions or fixes to tell them.

Ram Corporate has been no help to them. First they talked with a service guy for 2 weeks then that service guy ran out of things. Now they are talking to an EcoDiesel expert from Ram. Why didn’t they do that from the get go?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When a high pressure cp4.2 pump fails it sends metal debris throughout the fuel system. They need to change the rails, injectors, etc. About the only thing that doesnt get changed is the fuel tank and low pressure lines but they get flushed.
I’ll tell the dealership they have to change it out hopefully that’ll fix it and hopefully no one will fight me on it

·
Registered
290 Posts
Seems every one jumps on the pump failing. Before I retired I worked.. at a Cat dealer. We had many small engines with low rail pressure caused by one or more bad injectors . To check the injectors we would cap high pressure injection lines one at a time while watching rail pressure on lap top . If i remember right rail pressure had to be above 1800 pound for injectors to fire

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Seems every one jumps on the pump failing. Before I retired I worked.. at a Cat dealer. We had many small engines with low rail pressure caused by one or more bad injectors . To check the injectors we would cap high pressure injection lines one at a time while watching rail pressure on lap top . If i remember right rail pressure had to be above 1800 pound for injectors to fire
Cat didnt use cp4 pumps but yes if the injector return flow is way beyond spec it can cause crank no start from low rail pressure. These need upwards of 3500 psi to fire.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My point was not what kind of high pressure pump cat uses it was leaking injectors will cause a no start

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seems like these trucks are dropping like flys..... I have a 16 with 140,000 miles and it’s been in the shop 3 times in about 2 months time, I had my HPFP malfunction causing metal to go through all my lines, I get all new everything minus tank..... with metal and all that, I didn’t read a single code related to low fuel pressure, previously I had a fuel rail pressure sensor range/performance code, it was due to fuel rail pressure regulator being bad, may run that by with them.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'll throw in with the injector crowd. Sounds like they may have replaced the pump without cleaning everything out of the system and then plugged the new injectors. Tell them to reflush the whole system and put in different injectors, making sure to map them to the ECM. It's also possible that if there was still crap in the system, that they failed the new hpfp too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts