RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this truck with 27k on it. It does not have the tow package, and there were no signs on the hitch that it had been used. I drive about 30 miles one way to work and drive it like a diesel vs. a gasser (warm up, cool down, etc). I have not towed with it yet. This is not a grocery getter, mostly highway, but in some traffic in Houston. I am surprised by this report which was from my first oil change since I bought it. Can anyone shed some light on it with real world experience with Blackstone reporting. One thought I have is the dealer I purchased it from didn’t use the correct oil, but just a guess. Should I be concerned? It is stock, I have the Maxcare which to me gives another 5 years and 90k miles or so. Any input besides the typical Ecodiesel “sell it now!” would very much be appreciated. I plan to run another report closer to 5k-6k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definitely not what you want read on your first OA after buying the truck. Take a deep breath. I had a similar first OA with my truck. Any idea if your truck has had any engine work done before you got it??

To start off with, the used car lot where I bought my truck changed the oil, said they used the right oil, but I’m still skeptical. Second, my EGR failed less than an hour after signing the paperwork. The place that I bought it from towed it up to the local Ram dealer and after 3 weeks, I got my new to me truck. The dealer thought it only needed an intake, but once they had it apart, they discovered the failed EGR. Truck sat for another 2 weeks before the parts and work was completed. I suspect the engine was at least partially disassembled for most of those 3 weeks. Dealer apparently didn’t change the oil either!

Like I said, my first OA had all of the same high readings like you, and I think a few more like chrome. I was having the same thoughts as you, drop it like it’s hot! I didn’t.

I changed the oil myself, ran it for maybe 5000 miles and sent in another sample. This one was much better. Potassium was still on the high side, but wear metals were normal. Pretty sure I ran that oil for the full 10k. OA on the full 10k, wear metals were slightly higher than normal, but that was attributed to the high potassium. All subsequent oil changes and analysis have been good.

So my advice is take a step back, change the oil, drive it for awhile, take another OA and see what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't give you any info as to the report itself. Was certainly interesting to read as I've never read one before. But I would mention that you might want to redact your PII from documents before posting them online where any potential criminal might find it

·
Registered
232 Posts
See the link below...I think it is still breaking in based on metal numbers as they are not crazy out of whack. As far as coolant IDK however your covered with a warranty. Does it really have Rotella 15w40 as the report indicates? That alone could lead to some slightly inflated metal numbers.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/5817-oil-analysis-lab-test-results.html
I agree--the engine is still breaking in. I would expect to see your averages go down over the next two oil changes. If not, that's when I'd start worrying.

I have 141k miles on my '14 and have sent a sample to Blackstone every time I've changed the oil (first three changes were courtesy of the dealer, so I didn't get samples). Blackstone tells me my engine is doing fantastic and they currently have me changing my oil every 22k miles. I was going to call it good when I got to 20k miles per oil change, but now I plan to see if I can take it to 25k per oil change and then call that my normal oil change interval. I do replace the oil, air, and fuel filters each time I change my oil; I figure changing the air and fuel filters a little early might help my oil live a little longer.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate all of the input. Prior to my purchase, the truck had no engine work per the servicing dealer records. The coolant level is perfect, has not moved, and I check it at least weekly. The Carfax showed regular oil changes, etc. between the Carfax and the dealer records, it was as clean as could be. I will run another analysis at 5k on this oil change and see what the report says. Love the truck, happy to hear it might just be still breaking in, but I will be vigilant on monitoring, due to some of the issues out there. I am still a big believer that the odds are in my favor overall.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I really appreciate all of the input. Prior to my purchase, the truck had no engine work per the servicing dealer records. The coolant level is perfect, has not moved, and I check it at least weekly. The Carfax showed regular oil changes, etc. between the Carfax and the dealer records, it was as clean as could be. I will run another analysis at 5k on this oil change and see what the report says. Love the truck, happy to hear it might just be still breaking in, but I will be vigilant on monitoring, due to some of the issues out there. I am still a big believer that the odds are in my favor overall.
Just dug up an old BS report with the Pennzoil 5w30 sent at second change, 17,500. Note the wear metals over time. Also added GDE at 50k and have 194 on the truck now. Current oil is Amsoil 0w40 w/ 16k on it. Always change the oil filter at 10k if going longer on the oil.

View attachment 157,500 (5w30).pdf

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I don't think it's break-in, Blackstone would have picked up on that because of their experience with similar models and mileage. They're usually spot-on.

I would monitor the coolant level closely and not get overly concerned. Wait for 8k and retest, see if things drop. There's nothing the dealer would do for you based on oil analysis anyway. Just a good track record.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
The place I use for testing tells me modern engines with modern oils often take 60,000 miles to fully stabilize to their lowest wear levels and then stay there and gradually creep up towards the end of their life unless something catastrophic happens. My 2014 with 78,000 miles and tests at each change and 10,000 mile nominal changes except once when the mouse at a hole in the air cleaner element shows 43 ppm for iron and 19 ppm for aluminum and the oil doesn't budge on the dipstick in 10,000 miles. At 48,000 miles my iron was 69ppm. I don't think the engine has undo wear or I expect I would see some oil consumption.

I cannot explain why we see such large variations in the results from our oil testing. I tend to think it is a result of how samples are taken. I take mine with a suction pump down the dipstick tube to the level where the dipstick ends while the engine is idling. I know I get a representative and clean sample. I am not sure how representative catch samples are.

I never did understand what Blackstone's universal averages mean. All the samples they have tested for this engine regardless of miles on oil and miles on oil or??? If they are not somehow corrected for miles on the oil and miles on the engine I am not sure what to make of the numbers and I don't think they are either. I like eoil analyzers better. They have a stronger tech section on their website and provide more technical support and are cheaper.

I don't think you have anything to worry about on the wear components. ref the potassium I have had levels from 15 to 23 and haven't had any problems or coolant consumption. I would change the oil to the recommended Rotella T6 5w40 or an equivalent major brand and run it a full cycle and have it tested again.

I do regular oil analysis for two reasons 1-on stuff I use a lot it is interesting and almost always gives me something to worry about. and 2-On stuff I don't use much it gives me confidence to go many years but few hours between oil changes.

All the best,

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is Blackstone the eco diesel preferred oil test outfit?
Big menu of services. Is the Standard Analysis adequate for a diesel with 27k miles? If not, what additional tests are typically appropriate?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Is Blackstone the eco diesel preferred oil test outfit?
Big menu of services. Is the Standard Analysis adequate for a diesel with 27k miles? If not, what additional tests are typically appropriate?
Blackstone is very popular but not the best in my opinion im a big fan of Oil analyzers inc which is now a devision of Amsoil but they offer a more through test at a better price standpoint. Either way both are better than none and well help one understand what is going on inside the vehicle or equipment. Cat also offers oil analysis at a much lower cost but they test for less and are harder to read and understand.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
View attachment ECODIESEL-181030 2.pdf

Guessing this Blackstone report from mine, back when I had only 90-some thousand miles on it, could be used for comparison.

I would change the oil again and BE SURE you are using the correct T6 oil - 5W40 - with a new filter. Watch that coolant level and run it a good distance before the next report. Actually not much you can do if there is an impending engine issue. With the warranty you have I would just take those steps and enjoy the ride.

There was NEVER a tow package offered on these models. All had the hitch and basically the same transmission and coolant systems. Only thing you could do to aid towing was to get the 3:92 rear end ratio. Do not consider that as a factor as it never existed. Just tow what you want to tow within the towing capacity.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Potassium is a coolant indicator on a UOA. As others have mentioned, keep a close eye on your coolant reservoir..

·
Registered
618 Posts
My truck at about 9k didnt have levels like yours and they said engine still breaking in. I think I would be worried

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
See the link below...I think it is still breaking in based on metal numbers as they are not crazy out of whack. As far as coolant IDK however your covered with a warranty. Does it really have Rotella 15w40 as the report indicates? That alone could lead to some slightly inflated metal numbers.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/5817-oil-analysis-lab-test-results.html
I know at least one user reported using a 15w40, I believe a mystic semi synthetic oil and seeing UOA improve on it. GDE has said that this motor was developed and designed on 15w40 oil. Have talked to a get that swears his oilfield service company has several ecodiesels that run on 15w40 delo no problems at all. I don't think these motors are nearly as picky about oil as RAM and some users might think.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I know at least one user reported using a 15w40, I believe a mystic semi synthetic oil and seeing UOA improve on it. GDE has said that this motor was developed and designed on 15w40 oil. Have talked to a get that swears his oilfield service company has several ecodiesels that run on 15w40 delo no problems at all. I don't think these motors are nearly as picky about oil as RAM and some users might think.
Agree and think SavagePatch reported using it. Amsoil makes a 15w40 with our spec however typically the 5w40 is a higher base stock and better overall choice vs. wear. Look at the Delo 15w40 and 5w40 advertised less wear %'s on their labels and 5w40 is superior. Did notice WamMart had a "T6 15w40" labeled bottle stating fully synthetic yesterday....first I have seen that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 15w40 was a mistake on my part on the Blackstone form, the oil is 5w40 on this test (at least from the purchasing dealer info) and the recent oil change was certainly 5w40. I appreciate everyone’s input, I was certainly hoping for a better report. I will keep checking the coolant level weekly at least, i have been and it has been rock steady since early March purchase. Will do another OA between 5k and 7k this time and see what it says. I have my warranty, so will continue to drive and enjoy, love the truck! Would like to do GDE tune, but I believe the risk to my warranty is too great, will hold off (I realize there are infinite opinions on that). Thanks again for taking the time for your input, this is a great group!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts