RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
You will need many tests done to get a better idea of how your engine is wearing. One test is just a snapshot at that given time. As previously stated, your engine could still be breaking in. At 74,000km my ISB6.7 is starting to show a drop in wear metals but will take many thousand more KM before it stabilizes. So don't be concerned unless you see bad spikes in lead and other bearing material.

The potassium could be leaching from the intercooler. Had that on my truck and heard of it on others. Started at 124ppm at 48k km and now at 94ppm at 75k. Coolant level never changed.

But whats equally important in my mind when reading used oil analysis is how the actual oil is doing. A new engine will produce wear metals as everything wears in, polishes up as one could say. that's due to machining and fit/finish, not due to an oils inability to do its job. TBN/TAN, fuel, soot, 100c viscosity, additive levels are big indicators of how well an oil is holding up. Looking at your report, the oil looks fine. Sure TBN is "lower" at 4.5 but theres nothing wrong with that.

I was told that a used oil analysis for a small, light duty vehicle will do nothing but make you paranoid. that advice rings true. I test at oil change time and can base my next change off of that but.... I only change once a year, so I sit around and bench race in the man time and get all worked up. Just relax, test the oil because its fun, numbers don't lie and have fun driving. I take it as a challenge now. My last index, I had towed quite heavy, moved north of 100,000 pounds of hay in the yard within a few days. trailer weight ranged from 18 to 24,000 pounds. I made sure the truck worked. I made sure the engine fan howled up hill and RPM were up there. All this to find my wear metals trending down and my oil life to be absolutely boring.

As a side note, I have emailed VM, inquiring about oil condemnation limits for the 630. I received a confirmation email but a couple of weeks later, still no response from their tech department.

Edit; I hear that Blackstone does not use gas chromatography, which explains why their fuel dilution numbers are not high or accurate. I think they use an open pan method.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts