RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just noticed the lower right popup too. I clicked the 'x' to acknowledge it and closed the browser. I reopened the browser and logged in to the website with no popup. For now it seems to be better for me.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Oh, great. A popup for something about a "premium" membership. I didn't check to see what it was about so I can only speculate that now you can pay to get popups.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ziggy, this might be perfect for you.
Yeah, no. At one time I might have been okay with paying. But this misguided sales tactic of beating me into submission? I don't think so. I'd rather walk. And I'd hate to walk. I love the information and the community that I've found here.

·
Administrator
379 Posts
The issue with the push notifications should be resolved very soon.

The premium membership is simply an option for those who want it. The site will continue to be free.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
8,576 Posts
Just another admin completely missing the point.
Jeez Ziggy, Did you ever consider looking in the mirror and getting down to the root of the problem. Sorry but you are really starting to embarrass yourself. This is simply my personal opinion and has nothing to do with my position here. Best Regards, Joe

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks for the opinion, Joe. I feel frustrated much more than I feel embarrassed. And as if to validate me, up pops a new thread complaining of the slowness that I just mentioned. And you are in there heavily agreeing in several posts in that thread.

But you know what? Since this is the second time YOU are saying/doing something like this, it is beginning to feel personal. Remember that time that I was frustrated before and you moved my post to the most unused area of the site where nobody would see it unless they did quite the detailed search for it? Remember how I got butt-hurt over that and left the site until you PMed me and asked me to come back--at which time I did indeed return? Yeah, it's getting close to that time again.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
@DrivingZiggy other than the built in pop-up blocker in Chrome I don't run anything extra and don't have issues with pop ups. I'll even pop in on a computer I've not signed into the forum. There has to be setting or something that's messing with probably your cookie handling causing the issue(s). I'm not sure how I could help resolve the issue but I'll tell Joe play nice.
:-D
I will say there have been a few times that the forum threw up a 500 error and does seem to lag a little on the initial load. It seems even the Coronavirus is trying to infect the forum. There has been a big uptick in spamming with a bunch of Chinese writing posts by a new member (who gets promptly Banned and Cleaned).

·
Administrator
8,576 Posts
Ziggy, It's indeed personal to a point. IMO you complain way too much about a free forum and to be honest it's borderline bending the forum guidelines when you say things like "Just another admin completely missing the point" I've tried to help you every way I possibly could.

As far as the "slow" thread goes. It's there to help the forum determine if there's a server issue or if it's user related. So far it's looking more like a server issue. I'm simply agreeing the server is slow at times. I never disagreed with your pop-up issue. Your issue with pop-ups seems to be mostly an issue with your system from the best I can tell.

Now I'm off to get my 50 lashes from Crash. :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm on several other free forums. None of them perform like this one. None of them even come close to the ads. None of them attempt to extort you for better performance. None of them have given me cause to complain.

One of them has an annual fund drive and those who donate get some perks. Those perks do not include freedom from computer clogging ads since the ads on those sites are not clogging up the works.

As for my admin comment: My point is that the performance of the forum seems to be getting worse. Her answer pretty much tells me that it will continue to worsen--or at least remain the same--unless I pay. A few years ago I would not have had an issue with paying for 2 reasons: I was making good money then and the forum wasn't as bad as it is now. And when I say "bad" I mean these things that I'm complaining about ad nauseum.

·
Administrator
8,576 Posts
Hey,

This new feature would be under the "Push" notifications in your settings.
The push and We're Updated notifications requires you to acknowledge them, clicking away will not properly store the session cookie. We sometimes use these session cookies to ensure the settings you prefer are saved. You should only see this once, but if you are still seeing it multiple times it could be for a myriad of reasons. If you are blocking cookies on the site, preventing them from being saved, or if you click away from the message are some of the ways you may encounter this issue. The pop up will then go away until you log in from a new device, or if you log in on an incognito browser. If it is popping up on every page load, you may have a corrupted cookie in your session, in which case you should clear cookies and you should see this pop-up once more and then not again.
That being said cookies do also naturally expire over a time so you will see it down the road too, but it shouldn't be an every instance issue. If I haven't touched on any reason why you specifically are still seeing the pop-up, please let me know and I can dig further. Let me know what device and browser you are using so I can best record this issue and work to fix it if there is something I can affect.

Please confirm you have appropriately dismissed the notifications for me. If you are still receiving the alert after the fact it may be a setting I can look to affect.

-Gerrit
I am not certain of the abilities of function of the Microsoft browsers as they tend to cause script breaking errors on this site. Has this happened on any other browsers you're comfortable with?

This might be a cookie as explained above. Have you cleared the cookies out and are you still seeing issues?

If you appropriately dismiss the message your cookies should remember your setting. Otherwise clearing the cookies will show them once more before getting rid of them.

-Gerrit
This can happen if you have also signed in on another computer/device using the same IP. That's happened to me a few times.

As for push notifications, you can change the settings in your user preferences.

View attachment 85323

Lee
The issue with the push notifications should be resolved very soon.

The premium membership is simply an option for those who want it. The site will continue to be free.

- Cricket
I'm on several other free forums. None of them perform like this one. None of them even come close to the ads. None of them attempt to extort you for better performance. None of them have given me cause to complain.

One of them has an annual fund drive and those who donate get some perks. Those perks do not include freedom from computer clogging ads since the ads on those sites are not clogging up the works.

As for my admin comment: My point is that the performance of the forum seems to be getting worse. Her answer pretty much tells me that it will continue to worsen--or at least remain the same--unless I pay. A few years ago I would not have had an issue with paying for 2 reasons: I was making good money then and the forum wasn't as bad as it is now. And when I say "bad" I mean these things that I'm complaining about ad nauseum.
Help me understand how the Admins have offered anything but help. Where's the extortion? You haven't provided any of the screenshots or other requested information to help get to the bottom of your issue.

I'm not saying you should or have to go with a premium membership. It was just a suggestion since you seem to be so unhappy and frustrated with all the problems you are experiencing. I didn't go with the premium myself, but if I remember correctly it's something like 35 cents a week..

·
Administrator
379 Posts
Hi,

I am sorry if it looks like we are talking in circles. We have implemented a few fixes which t seem to have not resolved the issues on our end. After each fix is implemented, we rely on updated community reporting so we can qualify how effective things are. Then if nothing has changed, back to the drawing board for ways to implement a fix. The current path to resolution relies less on session cookies, and more on log-in cookies. However, transitioning the cookie storage properties hasn't been as easy or reliable as any simple fix. Thanks for bearing with us as we resolve things, and keep us informed of any change in what you experience here.

If needed, the ticket number on our end can be referenced as #171116245
I hope to have a resolution for you soon.
-Gerrit

41 - 55 of 55 Posts