RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I went to put diesel in my truck, it wouldn't take so much as a tenth of a gallon without acting like it was full, over filling and diesel spraying all over. I use an after market gas cap, so I know nothing has gotten down in the filler neck. What the heck? Tank is half full.

·
Administrator
8,643 Posts
Was the nozzle any different than the one you typically use? There is a second flapper in the fuel filler neck that the nozzle must pass.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
the flaps inside the filler neck have been reported to get out of position and block tube .
sorry I don't have link to threads , but there are a couple of threads ...
I remember in one of the threads , the owner went to a full serve station and
pump jockey jammed the green plastic down the tube using nozzle , twit .....
you can see first flap out of position , and as 97hmcs said , you see the 2nd flap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same gas station I always use. I even tried a second station on my way home, because I got to thinking that the first time I tried to fill, I left the ignition on for my girlfriend to listen to music, so I though that might have done it. Same result. When I got home, the fuel was still right to the top of the neck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm aware of the double flappers. Its plugged beyond them somewhere. I just pushed on them both with a screw driver, and they moved easily out of the way, but the fuel doesn't go down the neck.

·
Administrator
8,643 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Christ, how many fuel valves does it need? Anyone know how to disable that "rollover" valve to open?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to roll the truck counterclockwise two times . :) Sorry I wish I could help. Are you under warranty?
No warranty. And now I have a tune (that gave me fits to flash) that I have to "untune" before taking it in. Sigh.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So now it gets weird: in preparation for taking it to the dealer, I go out to the garage and do a re-flash of the ECM back to stock. I'm standing in the garage at the open driver's door, waiting for the tune to complete and right at the end of the re-flash (or near the end, I'm not sure which), I hear gurgling coming from the gas tank. I grab my flashlight and a screwdriver, and move the flappers/look into the filler, and the gas has finally drained into the tank. I drive to the local gas station, and I'm able to fill the tank. So, I'm thinking 1 of 3 possible things happened:
1) The re-flash caused the ECM to "let go" of the valve, and it opened.
2) The HD Diesel Supply tune was keeping it closed for some reason.
3) The valve opened coincidentally at the same time I did the re-flash.

I'm leaning towards "1" (or "3" as I don't know how this valve works), but I'll keep everyone posted if it happens again. I think its unlikely that it has anything to do with the HD Diesel Supply tune because I've filled the tank once before with the tune, no problem.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
First I hear of this extra valve , I wonder if all model years have that ...
Thanks Timmytime for teaching another detail of these trucks ...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had similar issue on my 2014. Mine would allow 3-4 gallons to go in. It happened a few months back & I blamed in on the cold weather.

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
So, I'm thinking 1 of 3 possible things happened:
1) The re-flash caused the ECM to "let go" of the valve, and it opened.
2) The HD Diesel Supply tune was keeping it closed for some reason.
3) The valve opened coincidentally at the same time I did the re-flash.

I'm leaning towards "1" (or "3" as I don't know how this valve works), but
#3 is the final answer, there is nothing electronic about the rollover valve. It's there to help prevent fuel from pouring out in the event of a rollover.
I read about the valve acting up from time to time mostly out of the blue. Some will start working correctly other are not so lucky

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks @Crash68 ! I hope it was a one-time-event for me, but time will tell.

On another note, the flash / re-flash of my truck back to stock (then back to tuned) went much easier now that I've got the hang of it. It shouldn't be a problem to do for trips to the dealer at any time. I'm actually going to carry the tune device in the truck 24/7, just in case I have a problem on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks @Crash68 ! I hope it was a one-time-event for me, but time will tell.

On another note, the flash / re-flash of my truck back to stock (then back to tuned) went much easier now that I've got the hang of it. It shouldn't be a problem to do for trips to the dealer at any time. I'm actually going to carry the tune device in the truck 24/7, just in case I have a problem on the road.
I had the same problem, with the flap falling in & blocking the ball, I could've just flicked it out of the way with the fuel hose, but I like things to work how they're supposed to
But, I had to take the wheel off to get the inner wing off to get to the filler pipe, then prise apart the green neck, hoping it didn't break, to find the flap just sits up in a groove by pressure of a spring.. it's ok now.. but I'm the only one who will fill it.. now can I ask about the tuner you have, does it delete anything like the DEF & WHO MAKES IT & COSTS please, asking from the UK

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me once. Could not fuel the truck. Looked in and the flaps were fine. Tried multiple stations..gave up called dealer. They couldn't get me in for a couple of days. 2 days later, tried to fuel. All good. Never happened again.

Dealer checked and said all was good. They probably thought is was a slack jaw..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts