RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Please respond accordingly

1 - 20 of 466 Posts

·
Administrator
9,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did your Ram Ecodiesel engine fail?

Please post comments in this thread only if you experienced a Catastrophic Failure.

Comments from other members are welcome in the "Discussion of Catastrophic Engine Failures" Thread: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...-catastrophic-engine-failures.html#post128499

Update: I searched this forum back to 01/23/2014 and reached out to about 30 members who had previously posted catastrophic failures. Thanks to all who have participated in the poll. I also searched other Ram forums for failures.

As of 01/30/2018

Poll Votes:
Engine Failures 104
Oil Cooler Failures 29

Posted on this Forum without poll participation:

Engine Failure:
14 ecoman
2ndecodiesel bch1500
A_A_Ron
Bburns
bch1500
beatyjdb
bkh1082
Blowneco2016
Blown_Ecodiesel
bouts 17
BruceS
byrdz1
Charles
Cowboy.24
DagOtto
DaveEdmonton
DeadlyD
Dinjo56
edmrobert
evansbc
Gazole325
GoDawgs
hammer1
Hazertmed
hundredand1aces
J5imel
Jackpot1988
JD WPD
Jtaps44
Kapa1
karbar
kevinjones222
Khouse
Kona golf
Lash
LeadfootX
Limited3.0Beast
lj8203
moonbatyme
Mr98660
Orthokevin
PJY
porshai930
Pilot_Alex
rammania
rKilpa
ROadking
RobGow
Rotel
SeaDub
shaftman_05
Smagno
socalle
SRFRacer42
sj032871
Soonerfan20
TexasCurt
tgeh2844
tracker
vjamodeo
trcsaz
vitzee
Wartym
Zacholley

Oil Cooler Failure:
[email protected]
2014 Ram Limited
duffman2034
jestacio
Mopar04
Redreed
SamFred
tookielee
turner1
windowcleaner
wkporshe

Posted on other forums:
13 Oil Cooler Failures
74 Engine Failures

Miscellaneous:

Onefastbike (witnessed at dealer) 2016 engine failure

GRAND TOTAL as of 01/30/2018
Engine Failures = 243
Oil Cooler Failures = 53

Corrections/Revisions are welcome, just shoot me a PM.

The purpose of this thread/poll is not to determine the failure rate of the ecodiesel engine. Obviously, this poll only represents a portion of ecodiesel owners.

The purpose is to allow owners who experienced catastrophic failures a common thread to share their experience concerning the type of failure and the resolution to their issue.

I am including failures noted on other forums and those available within internet search engines for the purpose of getting a rough idea as to engine failures vs. oil cooler failures. Although this does give us some idea as to how many ecodiesel engines have failed, there is no way we can determine any real world percentages of catastrophic failures.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well mine is one of many waiting at the time to get repaired. I certainly am not looking forward to waiting 30-60 days to get the truck back.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
To refute any "hearsay" argument I am posting pics of my oil pan. Also I got some of the oil cooler and coolant reservoir. My coolant is quite a bit lower than I thought. Saddens me to see Ol' Cody sitting there in the cold with a bum engine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451757028.816823.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451757120.804217.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451757190.825413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451757311.168433.jpg

And as most know that follow this forum, I was a huge fanboy of the EcoD. Still love it for many of the same reasons everyone else does.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine had some sort of internal failure and was replaced after they bought it back. I know this becuase they still have my email attached to the truck and I get offers to buy an extension of warranty in the new buyers name. I tried to find buyer online to tell then to buy warranty!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 Eco Diesel egine replaced at 14000 km took approx 2 months to fix got truck back with 2 dents in it and greasy interior thanks Peel Chrysler bought a new 2016 as I was told that 2016 was suppose to have most issues fixed I love both trucks just couldnt keep the 2014 after I felt like it was cursed my two friends have 2015 with three time the amount of KM and no issues at all the dealer told me my truck was the eighth ecodiesel they have replaced all 2014"s

·
Registered
142 Posts
my buddy at work who is not a member of this forum, but a ED owner, told me today that his early build 2015 blew the lower end over the holidays. dealer ordered him a new longblock which they already recieved and was too do the work this week.
he had about 35,000km i think he said. started with a faint banging noise that got louder and louder over a few days.
took it to the dealer and they dropped the pan...full of metal.

hate to hear this happen to anyone...especially a buddy.
i'll try and get more info when i see him again.

i didnt check any box in the poll...as its not my truck and he's not on the forum. but i can if you feel it helps with gaining numbers? just let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dealer told me it was an oil cooler failure that caused the catastrophic fail ... would not be covered after 36k miles - the 100k is internal only .. dealer told me I would only be able to purchase a 45000 mile warranty after running my VIN - they wanted 3400 $ for that !

After 45 days I have the truck back ....and am afraid every time I turn the key

·
Registered
35 Posts
When my oil cooler failed I had 36200 miles fixed under warranty my dealer told me it was covered under the 100000 mile power train warranty

·
Registered
8 Posts
My lower end blew Oct 9/15. just picked up my truck today { Jan 4}. I spent $3450.00 to extend my power train to 120000km

·
Registered
2 Posts
November 2015 during an oil change at the dealership I was told the oil cooler had cracked and leaked oil into the coolant system. Took over a month to get the parts to replace it and another few months of back and forth with the dealership to get it completely fixed. The oil was in the coolant system and caused sensor to fail and required the entire system to be replaced. I traded the truck after that.

With that said I had bought 2 eco diesels a 2 door and a 4 door. The 4 door I kept and from day 1 have never had any issue what so ever with. I tow with it without issue. And with out a trailer I avg 28-30 hwy mpg easy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've added my Oil cooler failure with no engine replacement to the poll. Also just turned over 40,000 Miles this morning and the truck runs great!

·
Administrator
9,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've added my Oil cooler failure with no engine replacement to the poll. Also just turned over 40,000 Miles this morning and the truck runs great!
Thanks and happy to hear the truck is running great.

·
Registered
863 Posts
My co-worker had his timing gear fail, same issue as "Shawn" had. His engine failed heads ripped apart less then 24k mileage, and 60+days without truck.

Just recently engine bottom end failed on a 2015 less then 15k, I do not know this guy, but service adviser was saying there has been a few engine failures 4-5 that he knows of. So this what I know of failures in my area. In Canada there were 60+ engines on back order a few months ago.

My engine has coolant loss issues and poor fuel mileage issues, getting it checked again 3rd visit!

1 - 20 of 466 Posts