RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Please respond accordingly

421 - 440 of 471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
I'm just wondering on the multiple failure vehicles if there could be some kind of transmission/bellhousing alignment problem that side-loads the crank and bearings.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Viesel that sucks. Make sure FCA covers your tow & provides a rental. Welcome to the site stick around lots of knowledgeable helpful people around here. Hopefully your next one will be a hero instead of a zero.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the list as well. 14 month old 2018 with 24,489 miles. No idea what caused the failure. Noticed an odd sound (rougher than normal engine sound) between 1200-1500 and 1800-2100 rpm. Had it flatbedded when the low engine oil pressure light came on. Dealership called back two days later and said there was a crazy amount of metal flakes in the oil. Never lost any oil and the dipstick read full when I checked it before getting it towed. My guess is oil pump failure but so far no official diagnosis.

·
Administrator
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
Add me to the list as well. 14 month old 2018 with 24,489 miles. No idea what caused the failure. Noticed an odd sound (rougher than normal engine sound) between 1200-1500 and 1800-2100 rpm. Had it flatbedded when the low engine oil pressure light came on. Dealership called back two days later and said there was a crazy amount of metal flakes in the oil. Never lost any oil and the dipstick read full when I checked it before getting it towed. My guess is oil pump failure but so far no official diagnosis.
That sucks. I hope the replacement goes well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same here, just happened to me, almost exactly the same circumstances. Same odd rough sound, almost like a big old diesel, at low rpms, I did have a bit a dripping fluid that I thought was coolant, but after is evaporated it left an oil stain on my driveway, so it was some mixture of the 2. I got low coolant CEL and the low oil pressure warnings every time I came to a stop while driving. I drove to the dealership, they dropped the oil pan, saw lots of shavings and told me they were replacing the engine under warranty, all in just a couple hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 slt with 40000 miles,95% highway miles,always serviced before it was due with shell t6,,on my 4trip to florida from ontario engine blew and left me and boat stranded in west virginia. dealer tells me a month to repair. I rent a truck and continue my winter vacation but now get to drive 2200 mile round trip to pick up my repaired vehicle and get rid my rental. My 5th ram and probably my last

·
Administrator
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
2016 slt with 40000 miles,95% highway miles,always serviced before it was due with shell t6,,on my 4trip to florida from ontario engine blew and left me and boat stranded in west virginia. dealer tells me a month to repair. I rent a truck and continue my winter vacation but now get to drive 2200 mile round trip to pick up my repaired vehicle and get rid my rental. My 5th ram and probably my last
Sorry to hear. Bad timing and I know how bad it must suck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question. I was just told I will need a new engine. I have 68,000 miles.
when you have a new engine installed do they only honor the remaining miles to the 100,000 warranty? Or does it reset for the new motor?
How many have had a second motor fail after a fresh engine install ? Thx

·
Administrator
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
You keep the remainder of your existing warranty. A few members have reported more than one failure but it's not at all common. Good luck/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just posted in the Canadian Forums about my issue yesterday.

I was passing another vehicle yesterday and lost power - dash lite up and showed pull over and place in P. May wife was with me as we were on our way to a evening outing....of course it’s something we didn’t make

After stopping the Ram I tried to start it but would not.... the starter just kept turning over. I did have it towed to the closest Chrysler dealer and will have to wait till tomorrow to have it looked at.

I was planning on heading down there today and run a scan for codes....I also read the computer may have put the engine into a non start mode and sometimes a battery disconnect/reconnect will reset this?

Question - if the engine is seized, would the starter still try to turn it over?

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok well I’m hoping that’s positive news....

Just got back from the truck but could not pull any codes. Disconnected the battery but same issue...just cracks but no start.

Been reading about the crank sensor....symptoms are similar to what happened. I’ll update tomorrow once I speak to the dealer.

BTW - My Eco is parked with about 8 other Eco’s.... I should have snapped a picture :(

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree it's very likely the reluctor wheel/crank sensor. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Well the dealer called and yes - its the reluctor wheel/crank sensor.

$700 in parts and $1300 in labor due to the tranny drop. All said and done its cheaper then a new engine! I should have it back Wednesday of this week.

Found this video on Youtube that shows where the part goes after removing the transmission:

EcoDiesel ram 1500 reluctor wheel problem

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well the dealer called back today and mentioned the bolts on the bottom exhaust have rusted through and fallen off...well part of them have which is causing a slight gap.

They said this could over time damage the DEF injector over time and the ECM could start throwing codes.

Additional $475 to repair - see attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealers has come back and said that Dodge is recommending a new EGR cooler after the service guy said I may need a new engine. Not sure how that system works. When you have cross contamination what else does it affects.
What do I have to worry about for the future? After going through several boards int looks pretty bleak. What is the consensus on diesel trucks with the current amount of emissions restrictions and reengineering done to them. Do you have to reverse engineer the engine to protect your investment but then risk your warranty and epa backlash if caught. Are all diesels in the same boat or did Ecodiesel create it’s own problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list! 109,500 Kms in the great white north of 75% highway mileage. Heaviest tow is a 6000lbs boat. New engine "In kind" by FCA even though I am out of warranty so not complaining. Like most, sounded like a crank bearing failure. Best part was when the mechanic had to take it out to really blow it up so the oil pan would have enough shrapnel for FCA to see in pictures. It is definitely a design flaw with these engines. I will be planning the next vehicle purchase very soon!

421 - 440 of 471 Posts