RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Please respond accordingly

441 - 460 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list as well. Catastrophic failure of a 2015 Ram ED at 68,500 miles. Replacement engine on order (covered by warranty)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 ram ecodiesel larame crew had engine failure at 84k miles. The turbo locked up and the shaft snapped doing 80mph down the thruway, pumped all 11 qts of oil out and into the intake and the exhaust. Intercooler was full too the top. All ducting was full and the DPF and SCR were smoked
POS engine

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted this over at the jeep page but this one seams a lot more active- just had the oil cooler go 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland 86013 miles still under factory 5/100. How have people made out on these? Dealer is stating just 3 flushes (at my expense of $700) and replacing the oil cooler. Also love the info on here has been great for a Jeep Guy.

And courtesy soup for all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just lost my engine -- 2014 EcoDiesel at 150,000kms (at least 85% Highway).

I'm not a big mechanical wiz, but I have some strange feelings about it. Could someone please help me out with this to see if it seems unusual to them?

Feb 28 -- invoice says "Code for crank sensor. Inspected tone wheel on crankshaft and found it is broken and requires replacement... replaced tone wheel on back of block and replaced torque converter bolts. Noticed transmission mount completely seperated and drive shaft u-joint seized. Also noticed engine light on due to glowplug code for cylender 4. Engine also has oil leak coming from oil housing. Replaced filter and gasket, then checked for leaks.Found oil temp sensor also leaking. ordered new sensor as per advisor.Installed new glowplog and oil temp sensor. tested ok. Cleared all codes all ok."

I then received the truck and the check engine light and glow plug light came back on before I even got it home. I dropped the truck back off a few days later -- I am a physician and was on call -- was a snowstorm and needed 4WD. After dropping it off, #3 glow plug was repaired. Then 24hrs later, "low oil pressure" light goes on. Luckily I was about 3 blocks from the dealer so I was able to get it there. Parked my truck, wrote a note detailing things, then left the keys in the dropbox. The next day they call to tell me that while bringing my truck into the shop it seized, and the engine is done.

This feels weird to me. They seem to be rushing me into selling it to them and buying a new truck (and absorbing the $19,000 still owing on the truck). I feel like I should be asking tough questions, because my gut tells me something is wrong here. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any feedback...

·
Registered
2 Posts
At 101,000 my ecodiesel had an "internal catastrophic failure." Estimate is $14,500 replacement. Contacted FCA, who is reviewing, as well as class-action firm. What else can i do???

·
Registered
559 Posts
At 101,000 my ecodiesel had an "internal catastrophic failure." Estimate is $14,500 replacement. Contacted FCA, who is reviewing, as well as class-action firm. What else can i do???
Did you have the update done? If so, it should be covered under warranty. Also, $14500 is incredibly high IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Ack 101k. We have had I think two cases where the owners had service records with the dealership IE oil & Mopar fuel filter changes done per warranty. Where the dealership went to bat for the they guy and FCA despite not having to do so probably in part to avoid bad press covered 1/2 the cost of a new engine. Both situations were like yours just past warranty.

When I got a new engine at 371k due to head gasket failure my new engine came with a new high pressure fuel pump and new turbo and 2 year unlimited mile warranty. This made it worthwhile to me.

Great point 7milesup If you had AEM done (2014 thru 2016 trucks) the powertrain warranty is expanded to I think up to 4 years 48k miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great point 7milesup If you had AEM done (2014 thru 2016 trucks) the powertrain warranty is expanded to I think up to 4 years 48k miles.
Vern, is this correct? I think there is a extended warranty of vehicle systems affected by the AEM for 4 yrs / 48K miles. Powertrain components like the engine block or transmission are not covered as far as i understand. Pleae correct me if i am wrong since i am in the middle of this very discussion with the local dealer (sigh).

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Woops lol a senior moment. You are correct. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lost my 2015 ED engine due to oil pump failure 2 weeks ago. No signs of any issues until leaving the interstate and merging on to 45mph road. Heard a knock starting to merged to the side of the road as the dash lit up due to no oil pressure as I shut it down. I checked and it was still full on oil dipstick so I pretty much knew the engine was toast.

Had it towed to the nearest dealership after hours on Thursday April 28th. Service manager confirmed the engine was shot and just needed my last 3 oil change reciepts. I printed off my last 3 from autozones website and sent them Along with the last Blackstone report 7k miles prior showing zero issues. He text me back 3 hours later it had been approved for engine and turbo replacement under warrant.

The truck had 85k issue free miles many of that towing my large boat or an enclosed trailer. To my amazement he texted me that my truck was ready to pick up the following Thursday around 3pm. This was about 4hrs shy of one week since the the engine died.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Woops lol a senior moment. You are correct. :D
Vern, is this correct? I think there is a extended warranty of vehicle systems affected by the AEM for 4 yrs / 48K miles. Powertrain components like the engine block or transmission are not covered as far as i understand. Pleae correct me if i am wrong since i am in the middle of this very discussion with the local dealer (sigh).
So FCA’s first offer was to split the engine replacement cost 50/50. Without knowing what actually happened to the engine, I wasn’t sure that even at 14.5k, they really knew what they were replacing and what my 50 percent would be. I was able, with the help of my local dealer, to get a $5k “deductible”. They took on the rest, and gave me a 3 year 100k warranty. I’m happy to have a relatively new truck (after about 2 months w/o a vehicle). It may have helped that I mentioned that I signed up for the catastrophic failure class-action lawsuit.....

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
So FCA’s first offer was to split the engine replacement cost 50/50. Without knowing what actually happened to the engine, I wasn’t sure that even at 14.5k, they really knew what they were replacing and what my 50 percent would be. I was able, with the help of my local dealer, to get a $5k “deductible”. They took on the rest, and gave me a 3 year 100k warranty. I’m happy to have a relatively new truck (after about 2 months w/o a vehicle). It may have helped that I mentioned that I signed up for the catastrophic failure class-action lawsuit.....
They are barking up the wrong tree... thats not the typical failure mode of this engine. Cam gear RARELY fails.

The real issue is spun main bearings. top end is pretty stout.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Class action lawsuit with 3 members lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list, 2016 RAM 1500 ED full internal engine failure at 69,570 miles. Going downhill, engine made a terrible racket, pulled over to the shoulder and the back wheels locked up. Could not put the truck in neutral to tow, needed to get a flatbed. BTW I was headed out on vacation. We weren't towing anything in fact I just had a full service done 30 days prior. Dealer says they have ordered a new motor but it's back-ordered until late September. RAM Customer Care is worthless and says they will not cover the tow bill or a rental car. Customer care says they call me but never leave a message and I have no missed calls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will be on my 2nd new motor, original motor lasted less than 10K miles and 2nd motor started knocking at 74.5K miles (64.5K miles on 2nd motor). They are back ordered on the motor, was last told the motor won’t be available until February on 2021. Already been at the dealer 3 weeks already. 2nd motor was dealer maintained, oil was always changed before it was due at around 7K miles.

441 - 460 of 471 Posts