RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Please respond accordingly

461 - 471 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read a lot of theories on why these engines die. The only thing that explains this scale of failures is a design flaw. Hard to say exactly what it is, but my money is on something like oil whirl: Oil Whirl and Whip Instabilities - Within Journal Bearings

I was towing a travel trailer (7k lbs) to my house, was running on the freeway with cruise set at 60. Freeway off ramp is a long downhill runout to a roundabout. I down shifted through the gears to use some engine braking and when I got to the intersection, the roundabout was clear. Accelerated normally through the roundabout and then started up a hill. Hill is .3 miles long and rises 100 feet. That is slightly less than 1% grade. Anyhow, got to the top of the hill and the engine started to bog down kind of like it was missing. Looked down and oil pressure was under 10 psi which at that RPM was BAD news... split second later, it starts knocking. I'm on a downhill at that point, so I throw it in neutral and the engine dies and I coast to a stop. I check the oil level and its fine.

Anyhow, towed into the dealer (had to pay to tow the trailer away myself). Tech pulls the oil filter and its full of metal. Pan is dropped and lot of metal there too.

At any rate, 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 25k miles and the last 9k miles were on a) new oil and b) with a GDE tune installed (which is why I got a REAL oil pressure). I gave them receipts for oil changes, and FCA quickly approved a replacement. They told me the engine was on backorder and the estimate for a new one was April. I got on the phone with FCA and got them to give me a CDI number (gives you about 10% below invoice on new FCA truck). I then got a 2021 Ram 1500 but this time with the hemi.

I was really on the fence when I bought the ecodiesel. I did some research and convinced myself that they had a bad run of the 2015s and maybe 16s, but that 17s were fine. Of course, there was no way to know about 17s until enough of them were out there... This engine had perfect oil chance history, no abuse of any kind and just ate itself for no discernable reason. I know there are some folks that have VERY long lived engines. But IMO, it's luck of the draw... You get a good engine, you're good. You don't, well... good luck with the next one.

I'm even more sad now that I've had my first decent tow with the new truck. Towed 135 miles round trip from sea level to 4k feet and back. I got 8mpg! Ugh.... That same tow with the ED was 15...

So yeah, the mileage blows. But I have to tell you, the Hemi powered rig is WAY better a tow rig than the ED. Not just the power, but the tranny shifts better too. I generally had a lot less gear management to do on descents with this new truck vs the ED. Also, the oil and tranny cooler meant that on the steeper sections, oil and tranny temps were kept down. Thing must have a huge radiator too because any spike in coolant temp disappeared quickly after the load was removed. That same pull in the ED would have had oil temps pushing 260 or higher at that speed which meant slowing down a LOT to keep oil temps down. Anyhow, hemi experience is all around better except for mileage.

Failure rates on the new EDs don't appear to be any lower as yet. Of course, need to get past the infant mortality phase to see if the re-designed ED is any more reliable long term. But IMO, stay away. I got too good a deal on a new Ram 1500 Laramie to walk away from. But I think the best 1/2 ton truck for towing right now in terms of driveability and mileage is going to be the Ford F-150 with a 3.5L Ecoboost. The hemi is smooth and powerful, but my god.... 8 mpg.

·
Administrator
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
Sorry you experienced the failure on your 2017. Thanks for the write-up. Good luck with your new truck.

You said it perfectly " I know there are some folks that have VERY long lived engines. But IMO, it's luck of the draw... You get a good engine, you're good.You don't, well... good luck with the next one. "

·
Registered
108 Posts
Should add to poll tucks that had multiple engine failure. I bought my truck with 94k and engine was replaced at 83k. Now at 105k engine has main bearing failure. Not sure if oil pump caused it
Dealer installing new engine this week. They did tear it down to inspect bearings. Truck ran normal and didn't notice any lost oil pressure or high temps. Just heard a faint knocking

·
Registered
61 Posts
Add me to the list, engine failure 02/28/21. EGR cooler replaced twice (having investigated if failed 3rd time) intake replaced once, crank position sensor failure. Complete front drivetrain failure. Take any advice helping to get engine covered

·
Registered
108 Posts
Only covered if under 100k miles or if engine been replaced within last 2 years. I bought my truck used. Assumed was on original engine. When I took it to dealer service advisor saw engine was replaced 14 months ago so warranty covered mine. Carfax showed nothing and 2 other dealers refused to look at my engine because I was at 104k miles
Then saw engine replaced last year but they stuck to warranty ran out at 100k. Luckly I found a service advisor that knew his stuff

·
Registered
93 Posts
I voted and yes am a victim of bearing failure at 117,000KM. They should put us on a remembrance day plaque at Chyrsler for taking a hit for team Ram for them to learn what not to do. It's just like a list of war heroes lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am now part of the list. My first catastrophic engine failure was at 28600 kms with a connecting rod breaking.
Then I went for a while and at 176500 kms I had to replace the 8 speed.
Now at 177300 kms, I am now replacing the engine again due to a rear main bearing failure.

I feel there should be some compensation from FCA as these engine failures are a common issue and this issue should not be able to be swept under the rug by FCA and leave us holding the bag on this.

·
Administrator
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
I am now part of the list. My first catastrophic engine failure was at 28600 kms with a connecting rod breaking.
Then I went for a while and at 176500 kms I had to replace the 8 speed.
Now at 177300 kms, I am now replacing the engine again due to a rear main bearing failure.

I feel there should be some compensation from FCA as these engine failures are a common issue and this issue should not be able to be swept under the rug by FCA and leave us holding the bag on this.
That sucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our '15 Laramie experienced catastrophic failure in January 2020 at about 73K miles. The dealership to which we had our truck towed replaced the engine and torque converter under warranty and even tried to get us reimbursed by FCA for towing and rental car expenses. Although the process took several weeks to complete, we are happy with the results. The truck has a 3rd generation VM Motori engine with a 3 year, 100K mile warranty. Even if the new engine is afflicted with the same shortcomings of the original one, I figure we have at least 70K miles of worry-free driving ahead of us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Voted... 2016 BigHorn Ecodiesel, main bearings let go at 96323 miles. Covered under warranty, new engine installed and I will pick it up this week...

·
Administrator
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
Voted... 2016 BigHorn Ecodiesel, main bearings let go at 96323 miles. Covered under warranty, new engine installed and I will pick it up this week...
Happy to hear they took care of it for you.

461 - 471 of 471 Posts