RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Please respond accordingly

481 - 500 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Vern, I'm working on a theory that has it roots in what the new direct injection gas engines are experiencing with crank/bearing failures. I "think" that the design weakness shows up not when you "light foot" the ECO empty, but rather low RPM higher load conditions. eg, 1/2 throttle rolling starts cold or acceleration before the transmission gears down. Boost levels are on the high side in those low rpm conditions for the design.

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Yea I don’t disagree with that at all. Just lack of best description on my part. “Load” requiring some throttle under low rpm. Maybe trying to keep from downshifting out of 8th when towing or even empty up a small grade or into wind maybe you had been coasting and going slow for 8th gear. And the crank squirm bearing damage is done at these times although the engine might not “fail” until much later just cruising down the highway.

3 of our high mileage motors spent their life towing in 7th gear at 1,900 to 2,400 rpms. IE above the harmonic crank walk rpm and at full oil pressure rpm. It’s like if the ice looks thin somewhere don’t stand on that spot. Biggest common denominator in my failed engine comments; I baby it, I never tow, I always take it easy on this truck and drive like grandpa.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yea I don’t disagree with that at all. Just lack of best description on my part. “Load” requiring some throttle under low rpm. Maybe trying to keep from downshifting out of 8th when towing or even empty up a small grade or into wind maybe you had been coasting and going slow for 8th gear. And the crank squirm bearing damage is done at these times although the engine might not “fail” until much later just cruising down the highway.

3 of our high mileage motors spent their life towing in 7th gear at 1,900 to 2,400 rpms. IE above the harmonic crank walk rpm and at full oil pressure rpm. It’s like if the ice looks thin somewhere don’t stand on that spot. Biggest common denominator in my failed engine comments; I baby it, I never tow, I always take it easy on this truck and drive like grandpa.
I agree. I also would like to know the difference between the weights of different optioned trucks. I'm sure my crew Tradesman weights several hundred pounds less than a Larmine crew. I'm suspecting that the lighter weight trucks spend less time in that low rpm "load" (boost) condition when empty. When you tow, you shouldn't be there at anytime.

·
Administrator
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
These engines have failed under many different conditions (running hard, towing, babying, etc,) and most at relatively low miles. In my opinion you either get a good one or you don't. GDE has been working with this engine since the beginning and I tend to agree with their take on the failures. Here's a couple quotes from GDE:

I think there have been close to 25,000 engine failure out of 250,000 produced. Most of the failures were at low hours (10,000-60,000 mi), but as the fleet ages, those failures are showing up at higher mileage. I am strictly referring to the bearing failures as that is the highest failure mode on this engine.

The vast majority of engine failures on this platform tend to be low hour failures. This would point to something in manufacturing/assembly. Keep in mind, VM Motori is not a high volume engine manufacturer by most regards and they had to ramp up the line to build enough engines for demand. This could have led to issues. One area of concern would be that VM did not use torque plates (to simulate installed heads) when line boring the engine and not sure the torque on the bedplate for this process as well. Most engine manufacturers use torque plates to ensure the block distortion is accounted for when line boring. Not doing this could lead to extra forces on crank/bearings after assembly.

The firing order could also have an impact on the torsional loading exerted to crank. 1-4-2-5-3-6 One really needs to instrument a crankshaft with strain gauges and run the engine at various rpm/load points to precisely determine what is going on with the bottom end. If someone wants to crowd fund a $100,000 instrumented engine, we will certainly be willing to test it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Added that my 2017 RAM 1500 ECODIESEL engine needs replacing. Blew a hole in the rear left side of block near oil pump. RAM dealer is saying at least six months to get a replacement engine. Still making payments and only have 46,000 miles on the truck. They currently have 258 vehicles in the Chrysler system awaiting replacement engines in front of mine. Dealer says they can not purchase a remanufactured engine. Looking for options. Never used to tow or carry any significant weight. Purchased in 2019 from CarMax (100,000 mile power train warranty still in effect, otherwise I would use my CarMax warranty to get a new engine).

·
Registered
198 Posts
That sucks. I was just reviewing my last oil sample results. Everything looked good. My engine was replaced at only 22k miles last time. I currently have 33k on it and a year left of unlimited mile warranty. You may have a wait but its better than 14k dollars dealer wants for replace engine. Maybe your rental var could be paid by roadside assistance. I would talk to carmax depending on how long ago you bought it. Pretty easy to ask for either a loaner or threaten to use there warranty to cover engine.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
Only 120,000 miles but I light foot mine when I can… that’s the only way you can achieve the upper end of the fuel economy these trucks are capable of, which for me is the only reason to own one. Feel like I remember reading the problem rpm range was sub 1500, if I’m working it or accelerating I like to be above that. I also think both stock and aftermarket tuning have made it more difficult to get a detrimental load on it in the low rpm ranges through tuning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Only 120,000 miles but I light foot mine when I can… that’s the only way you can achieve the upper end of the fuel economy these trucks are capable of, which for me is the only reason to own one. Feel like I remember reading the problem rpm range was sub 1500, if I’m working it or accelerating I like to be above that. I also think both stock and aftermarket tuning have made it more difficult to get a detrimental load on it in the low rpm ranges through tuning.
My first engine I drove it easy too. Then she tossed her cookies. I now keep a moderate load on it all the time accelerating. Engine likes it according to my oil samples. Plus if you lightfoot too much you don't get good regrens. I pull a trailer almost every weekend too. I agree the fuel economy was nice. I had GDE tune on stock truck and hit 30 mpg on highway. I since added a leveling kit, little bigger tires and switched to MRtuning. I average 22 mpg highway now. I do have 3.92 gears

·
Registered
198 Posts
My oil samples have all come back great. You probably just had one that wasn’t gonna make it for your first one.
Your probably correct. I didn't test oil on last engine. I use to run Torque Pro app. I noticed exhaust temps running 100 degrees higher than normal but had recently switched tunes from GDE to MRtuning so wasn't sure if it was the tune. Looking back It was the best early sign of a bearing seizing. Honestly you can run oil samples but Blackstone takes about 10 days from day mail sample in to get results. Especially when my last engine failed at 22k. Since takes a few oil changes to wash out wear metals. I had ro stop running torque pro. The port was getting lose from constantly plugging and unplugging the obd reader in everyday

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2014 Eco limited with 124,000 and the engine just seized up on a road trip. The only motors I could find were from a junk yard and they want about 9K for the 108,000 mile motor. Dealer as stated above have no idea how long it will take to get motors and think it will be a minimum of 6 months, a year or even longer. I have been looking at every source that I can think of for a new motor and haven't been successful. I have 2 offers with blown motor of 5K and 10K.
Sad as this was the best truck that I have had.
Any ideas or help appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Ecodiesel 1500 2WD tradesman had engine failure two weeks ago at 33,809. I run Rotella T6 equivalent and change every year since I do not drive a lot of miles to work. I have a video of the engine failure: link below.

My truck has been at the dealer for this entire period. I have contacted multiple Lemon Law Lawyers, the CA DMV Warranty Program, FCA Headquarters, and MOPAR Headquarters. Nothing from FCA has been helpful. I was asked to go get my own rental car for the time being and maybe after I might get paid back. Instead of putting more overhead on myself during this situation, I've ended up using my camper that has 240k original miles. My 1500 powertrain warranty ended 7 months ago and my AEM Warranty doesn't apply to engine failure (as promptly identified by FCA during my first call). Since the EGR Recall, parts availability has been 0 at my local dealership who told me to await a return call once parts came in.

In the next months, my wife and I are moving out of CA and to VA because we cannot afford the standard of living. The dealership has just asked for 16,000 in cost for the engine or 15,500 for a reman engine (labor not yet included). Factoring in labor, we are going to have to use our only down payment that we've saved to put toward our first house. What do you folks think, do I even have them fix it or do I just hand in the title? I can't tell you how bad it feels to think about putting out another 20k for this truck. This truck is a 2WD single cab long bed. I bought it thinking keep it simple and reliable. Now after four years and 33k orig miles, I have to pay for the truck again to replace the engine? What should I do here?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Sorry to hear your circumstances, Reach out to Ram Cares on our forum, They seem to be as helpful as possible, Usually Much Better results than Dealerships… Unfortunately Dealerships are in a Bad situation, Very low New vehicle inventory … They are trying to survive, Unfortunately at consumers expense…

IMOP I would NOT buy a junk yard engine….

BTW has your dealership replaced any Ecodiesel engines? If so ask how many..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Include me on the list, catastrophic engine failure. Same as others a light tick getting louder to a banging sound 2016 Ram ecodiesel with 84K miles all maintenance done on time or early, light use no trailer, no off road out of warranty by 9 months.

481 - 500 of 512 Posts