RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Please respond accordingly

501 - 512 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Include me on the list, catastrophic engine failure. Same as others a light tick getting louder to a banging sound 2016 Ram ecodiesel with 84K miles all maintenance done on time or early, light use no trailer, no off road out of warranty by 9 months.
Contact Ram Cares on here. I've read a couple of times that they helped on cases like yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Contact Ram Cares on here. I've read a couple of times that they helped on cases like yours.
5/31/22: Include me on the list too, Ditto boatahaulic's story except mine is in warranty 2018 Laramie 4x4 47k miles. Waiting for an engine. Had to have it towed to a second dealership because the first one sucked! $400 for the tow.
I was under light load when it happened, same description as boatahaulic. All maintenance done at the dealer. I occasionally pull a travel trailer. Bummed.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
UODATE 9/4/22:
Just got my truck back 9/1/22. I complained when the failure happened to Ram Support and they assigned a case #. The engine was supposedly expedited but still took 3 months to receive.They claimed supply chain issues. The dealership installed it in 2 days after receipt. It was a complete engine with turbo. The service manager and parts person told me that they feel the engine is improved upon and have never had a truck come back after the engine was replaced. We will see..
Credit to RAM support for checking in with me weekly and reimbursement for towing and 1 week car rental. I did not rent a car longer because I have a second car, but Ram really should offer a rental car for the complete length of non-use of a warranted vehicle!!
Ram could not or would not answer my technical questions as to how the replacement engine is improved upon! Needles to say this makes me nervous and now I have to decide if I am going to keep it or sell it? Love the truck otherwise...

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
465 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
What did you end up doing?
Sold it for scrap. I got $8500 for it. Realistically $14k to replace the engine and 12-14mo wait on parts would mean I'd have to sell it for $22500 in 12-14mo to break even vs just scrapping it. With interest rates rising and having to do without a truck for a full year, it just wasn't worth the expense to me to fix it. Plus my wife is pregnant and hasn't really trusted the truck for a while due to the 19 dealership trips for warranty/recall work and all the failures that pop up on the forums.

The ONLY offer RAM Cares gave me was that if I were to buy a new RAM vehicle and call them back in 5 years or 50k miles when the warranty ran out, they would consider giving me an extended warranty on good will if I called back in. Given that my EcoDiesel was in the shop 19 times with warranty or recall work and never once did they approve a rental car even, there was no chance I was buying another FCA product. Even with my previous 3 vehicles being RAM/Dodge and my parents having owned nothing but FCA products for over 30 years, they would not budge at all.

Monday I bought a 2500HD 6.6L gas. If diesel drops to $0.50/gal more than gas like it used to be it will cost me around $600/year more to operate this vs the EcoDiesel. Not ideal, but also not all that big of a difference, especially if you factor in the convenience of not having to wait for the diesel pump, not having to wait for a diesel tech at the dealership, no longer needing to find very specific oil, etc.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had my oil cooler fail and looks like my intake has now failed 2 years later. Was told by the dealership if it happened 5 months ago the intake would've been covered under the egr cooler recall warranty.

I'm gonna raise my case with customer care now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greetings Folks,

I had a very similar experience to boataholic's. Light 'ticking' on the driver side followed by a low oil pressure light and the engine shutting off. I'm at 65K miles. No crank / No start. The insulting part is that it was in the shop for a month with a failed EGR cooler (thanks brokendownbut good for the diagnosis!!) and this failure happened after only 730 Mi !!

I brought it to the same dealership on Saturday and I'm hoping this issue is related to fixing the EGR cooler. I think it will be covered under the powertrain warranty, but I'll keep you posted. I'll post my vote in this thread once I get a diagnosis from the shop.

All the best,
Snuffy

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Food for thought on another approach. Some upon having their AEM government detune installed thumbed the emissions warranty in lou of a better running more reliable & fuel efficient truck/aftermarket tune. After investing in said tune they could immediately chuck the EGR cooler to install an EGR cooler delete kit. In doing so they know that they will never have the sneaky egr cooler leak that leads to overheats failed water pumps and other heat related failures. Most aftermarket tunes (14-19) also close the EGR valves so that the intake manifold never soots up & clogs to cause another truck fire. After 423,000 miles my replacement engine never had an EGR cooler leak as it could not and when the intake manifold was removed it was found to be soot free. Pictures of it are shown in the diesel maintenance forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Food for thought on another approach. Some upon having their AEM government detune installed thumbed the emissions warranty in lou of a better running more reliable & fuel efficient truck/aftermarket tune. After investing in said tune they could immediately chuck the EGR cooler to install an EGR cooler delete kit. In doing so they know that they will never have the sneaky egr cooler leak that leads to overheats failed water pumps and other heat related failures. Most aftermarket tunes (14-19) also close the EGR valves so that the intake manifold never soots up & clogs to cause another truck fire. After 423,000 miles my replacement engine never had an EGR cooler leak as it could not and when the intake manifold was removed it was found to be soot free. Pictures of it are shown in the diesel maintenance forum.
Vern,
I appreciate you responding to my issue. Since the fire, I've been scouring this bulletin board and have seen your many posts and the picture of your intake. This is my first diesel (I'm a 5.0 guy by trade which is why I scoffed when she said my intake melted and was full of soot), so I have a lot to learn. I've been researching the delete kits and the different tunes...thinking about going with SofaKing since it is unfortunate that Gr33n got nicked by the f3ds and nothing against Canuks, but I'd rather stay in the states.

Whether or not I get a new motor out of this deal, I plan to delete and tune as long as I can find the kits at a swap meet...provided I don't sell the S.O.B for a Ford.

Thank you for helping me and this community with all your time at the keyboard.
AtB,
Snuffy

501 - 512 of 512 Posts