RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
just to clarify my statement about the nature of a diesel, it was in comparison of a gas engine and the initial "lag" of an instantaneous gas throttle.
Sounds like you may have a problem, wonder if the dealer resets your ECU/TCM so it goes through its learning process again would help?
I have also drove the Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax, I personally noticed an initial lag in all of them, but nothing to the extent of what sounds like is happening with yours.
Interesting thought. I'm going to call the dealer and ask. I agree a diesel will not respond like a gasser, I currently have both and can attest to that. But none of my diesels are as bad as the ED with the lag

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Both Banks Bullet and BD Throttle Sensitivity Booster - Dodge//Jeep vastly improve the TQ management . These are add-on devices, the BD Booster Banks Bullet combo eats GDE every day of the week and twice on Sunday when it comes to power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The response delay definitely isn't a trait of a diesel. Since gas engines have a throttle plate and vacuum behind it, increasing torque to increase RPM requires filling that manifold up with air first...something a diesel doesn't have to do. I remember driving a 310D backhoe down a washboarded dirt road years ago...between the bumps on the road and how quick that bastard responded, it was impossible to drive without the bucket rocking up and down 12 inches. When a bump made your foot press a little harder on the pedal, you couldn't react fast enough to stop it yanking the front end up. The transient response is ridiculously fast...I like that about old mechanical injected diesels :) Also...VM may have given Bosch and FCA some requirements on a max torque delta rate due to this whole bottom end/bearing design/issue. The faster the engine ramps up torque vs RPM, the harder the crank is going to hammer on the bearings before oil pressure comes up...something to think about.

Decent video on diesel transient response. Guy revs it a bit around 1:30

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Blame it on beer. Wife and I left the Moose last night and I thought of this post. While in the Moose driveway I straightened out the truck and stomped it. Immediately let up on the throttle but the truck took off with no throttle. Before I could hit the brake, the surge forward stopped.

Nuts to that. Not going to test it again. Had to explain the "childish behavior" as things did not "start out right" for our return home.

·
Registered
735 Posts
When are the TCM updates for the '16 addressing "lugging" to keep oil pressure up going to be released to the rest of us mortals with '14s, 15's and early 16s? I wonder if that will help?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Breaking News: Could this be associated with plugged MAP sensor?

Guys, i went out to inspect the MAP sensor and egr tube today. Disappointing to say the least. KIMG1590.jpg KIMG1591.jpg KIMG1592.jpg KIMG1593.jpg KIMG1595.jpg

I have no clue how this sensor was even working like this.

My intake manifold looks like the inside of my central boiler outdoor wood furnace. There's actually solid, loose debris in there. This can't be good.

Not sure what the point of cleaning the diffuser tube is when the inside of the manifold looks like it does, but I cleaned the tube nonetheless.

Previous owner has, IMO, a lot of idle hours. Maybe this contributed to this mess.

Anyway, cleaned MAP and EGR tube, put it back together... went for a test ride. I can no longer push the throttle to the floor and let off without anything happening. The truck moves now. In fact, overall driveability has vastly improved. Power goes to the wheels steady and acceleration has improved, it seems to rev better. I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating this, but does any of this make sense mechanically? And is it GDE time to put an end to this EGR crap?

Captain i got a kick out of your experiment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When are the TCM updates for the '16 addressing "lugging" to keep oil pressure up going to be released to the rest of us mortals with '14s, 15's and early 16s? I wonder if that will help?
I'm running the TCM update in my 2015 - no change in pedal response.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Guys, i went out to inspect the MAP sensor and egr tube today. Disappointing to say the least. View attachment 27609 View attachment 27617 View attachment 27625 View attachment 27633 View attachment 27641

I have no clue how this sensor was even working like this.

My intake manifold looks like the inside of my central boiler outdoor wood furnace. There's actually solid, loose debris in there. This can't be good.

Not sure what the point of cleaning the diffuser tube is when the inside of the manifold looks like it does, but I cleaned the tube nonetheless.

Previous owner has, IMO, a lot of idle hours. Maybe this contributed to this mess.

Anyway, cleaned MAP and EGR tube, put it back together... went for a test ride. I can no longer push the throttle to the floor and let off without anything happening. The truck moves now. In fact, overall driveability has vastly improved. Power goes to the wheels steady and acceleration has improved, it seems to rev better. I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating this, but does any of this make sense mechanically? And is it GDE time to put an end to this EGR crap?

Captain i got a kick out of your experiment.

Sounds as though you answered your own question and possibly why some trucks seem to have more "lag" than others.

As to weather it's GDE time is your call. I know what I would do!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've read somewhere the truck learns your driving style
What I do is this to improve the throttle response.

Turn the ignition to on without starting the engine.

Slowly push the accelerator down all the way to the floor, then slowly release the pedal. Turn the ignition to the off position.

Then start the engine and drive.

It seems to work better for me

Remember you are driving by wire supposedly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Installed the BD throttle sensitivity booster this morning. It showed up last night and was a little dark to try and do it. It is about a 5 minute install. It plugs in to the accelerator pedal harness with the appropriate plugs. Take a few seconds to learn the pedal travel and fire it up.

Out of the box it has 2 separate settings besides stock; 50 & 100% boost in sensitivity. I set it up for 50% and haven't changed since. All I can say is WOW! I should have done this first before I even drove it off the lot. It makes the GDE tune so much more fun to drive. The truck feels so much better than it did before. I let another family member drive the truck and they though I put a new tune in the truck.

While I think it is a bit overpriced, the fact that it is totally plug and play and works great lessens my concern. The 50% increase seems just about right for me without being overly touch. It is still easy to modulate and so much more fun to drive than before. I think this is how it should have been from the factory! It almost feels like the truck picked up an extra 20-30HP when you drive it even though I know it didn't. It is just that much more responsive than before and with the GDE tune it is a great combo so far. No impact on mileage either from what I can see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Installed the BD throttle sensitivity booster this morning. It showed up last night and was a little dark to try and do it. It is about a 5 minute install. It plugs in to the accelerator pedal harness with the appropriate plugs. Take a few seconds to learn the pedal travel and fire it up.

Out of the box it has 2 separate settings besides stock; 50 & 100% boost in sensitivity. I set it up for 50% and haven't changed since. All I can say is WOW! I should have done this first before I even drove it off the lot. It makes the GDE tune so much more fun to drive. The truck feels so much better than it did before. I let another family member drive the truck and they though I put a new tune in the truck.

While I think it is a bit overpriced, the fact that it is totally plug and play and works great lessens my concern. The 50% increase seems just about right for me without being overly touch. It is still easy to modulate and so much more fun to drive than before. I think this is how it should have been from the factory! It almost feels like the truck picked up an extra 20-30HP when you drive it even though I know it didn't. It is just that much more responsive than before and with the GDE tune it is a great combo so far. No impact on mileage either from what I can see.
Thanks for sharing. I'm envious just reading this. Looks like GDE and BD booster are in my near future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think they both compliment each other better than I expected. The nice thing is you can start with the sensitivity booster and easily add the GDE tune later after the ECU arrives. :D

I should have bought the darn thing when I first learned about it here.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I cant' believe what I'm reading You mean to post that your tuner did not resolve the Issue that a Box device did, only at This forum..... If this was at any other forum they would be flaming the tuner for not re-mapping the TQ.. I would want My money Back ASAP. Not cheerleading a stack that cost additional ...$$$....:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I call it as I see it. I am not against box devices anyway. Sometimes there are limits to what they can do compared to remapping the ECU. I remember years ago when there weren't many options beyond a box that was in effect a piggyback ECU. I have nothing against the boxes assuming they can do what you want but sometimes they don't give you the control you want or have access to as many parameters to change.

I build a lot of high performance motorcycles and a power commander V (PCV) can do a lot it is still limited compared to what tuning the stock ECU can do. I do like the fact that I can easily remove the PCV and leave no trace when going into the dealer for warranty work. Obviously a modded ECU is a bit tricker proposition. As long as they get the job done and are reliable, I don't have a dog in this hunt either way.

The GDE tune made the truck more responsive than stock but the throttle response was still lacking for me. So while I have sunk a few more hundred into it, I am pretty close to where I need to be. Sure I'd like more power but I am not certain I can get it reliably with the stock turbo setup. Once I go that route, I give up all pretense of warranty and then I'll worry about the stock tranny going. I'd still like about another 30-40 HP reliably but since that isn't cost effective to get, I'll just live with what I have for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I cant' believe what I'm reading You mean to post that your tuner did not resolve the Issue that a Box device did, only at This forum..... If this was at any other forum they would be flaming the tuner for not re-mapping the TQ.. I would want My money Back ASAP. Not cheerleading a stack that cost additional ...$$$....:confused::confused::confused:
The thing is, for some folks, like Day and probably myself, we're likely treading into "personal preference" territory and not "actual mechanical issue/flaw" territory. Now my truck does has some weird throttle response issue (a lot of which was resolved by cleaning the MAP sensor oddly enough... still scratching my head on that one) but I've found very few folks who, after installing GDE, we're not pleased with the truck's responsiveness. If a handful of individuals want it to be even more responsive and choose to add additional hardware to achieve such performance, that is their preference and not adequate ground to flame the tuner. I'm sure 9/10 guys would have driven Day's truck, with the GDE and prior to him installing the BD booster, and said "This is fine". But his expectation was different, so he sought to accomplish that. Not reasonable to point the finger at the tuner in this case. Does that make sense?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
That's why its call custom Tuning and sold as Such. In the EFILive world these issue(s) are easily over come tuned by any qualified tuner. When the Jail Break arrive , I will Tune MY ED to NO MIL/CEL turn off the EGR load a custom fuel tune, Map the TQ management , O this may take me 30 minutes to 1hr. including saving the factory file and loading the new file. I few years form now these tunes will be ready available on EFILive site for all to enjoy. spend a little more $$$ and have a professional tuner dial it in.

Tuning is not that hard it just takes time and a little knowledge.

Mapping The Turbo brake will be time consuming if you want that feature Buy the GDE BC it won't be readily available on custom tuning for some time.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
You all understand how the throttle booster works, right? It simply increases throttle sensitivity, and accomplishes the same thing as pressing the throttle more. So all that money spent when you can simply press the throttle further/sooner to accomplish the same results.

The throttle is electronic and sensitivity is the only possible adjustment. No wizardry here. IMO a throttle booster is a waste of money and a bandaid for other issues. such as the dirty MAP or improper throttle programming.

I've spoken to GDE about a throttle booster in addition to their tune, I'd recommend any GDE customer considering it do the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I personally wasn't satisfied with the throttle response even after the GDE tune. The GDE tune did help it but not by enough to make it enjoyable. Nor I am I running it in the super sensitive mode. I still have fine throttle control and can easily modulate the throttle. It isn't as though I have a hair trigger throttle where is is basically binary; off or on.

The initial tip in of the throttle isn't near as dull. I let a friend on this board who went with a GDE tune drive my truck today and I'll be surprised if he doesn't go this route as well. I also had a chance to drive his truck back to back with mine while he drove mine. Definitely like how the truck is more responsive WITHOUT having to feel like you are mashing the throttle to the floor every time. If GDE had an option to make it more sensitive with their tune, I would have gone that way. My truck doesn't have enough miles to have anything plugged up and I've been running the GDE tune for about 90% of the miles on the truck.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts