RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
. My truck doesn't have enough miles to have anything plugged up and I've been running the GDE tune for about 90% of the miles on the truck.
How many miles were on the truck when you installed the GDE tune? Have you cleaned the MAP since the GDE tune install?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Put the tune in with about 1000 miles. Truck has just over 4,000 miles now. Hopefully noething shouldn't need to be cleaned already. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just don't think the MAP sensor and diffuser tube have anything to do with the throttle response. I've had the GDE tune for quite a while now, and my MAP sensor and diffuser tube are both very cleaned. I've actually pulled them a couple of times and found no issues. As I stated earlier, two different dealer service managers and GDE have all stated that this throttle lag that some of us are experiencing is TCM related. The tranny is just not shifting down to first gear like it should (or at least like we're accustomed to). When FAC gets their heads out of their a$$es and addresses this problem, then I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I wonder if a few of you don't have either bad throttle assemblies or need the throttle programming reset.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too have noticed a dead-spot / delay in power when starting out from a near stop. I especially notice it when turning say a right hand turn at a light rolling slowly and turning onto a road that goes up-hill. The delay is drastic and then all of a sudden it's like the computer figure out that "hey this guys foot is down" and then it really goes and jerks you back into your seat...

Mine is a MY16 that I just got a little over a month ago.

I think I will try the MAP clean and see if that works. If it doesn't, how do I reset the computer and re-set the throttle programming? Do I just take the battery off for a while? Is the throttle reset the "key on, engine off, depress throttle" process that someone described above?

My truck seems very bad for this as well, and I have driven several Cummins trucks over the years with nothing like this. Even a couple of other EcoDiesels that I had for extended tests were nothing like this either. So I think I am in the same boat. Maybe dealer time.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll come right out and say it...when my engine is cold (cold meaning outside air temp being 10-50F), it's an absolute dog. My office is on a small frontage road, it dumps on to a highway. More often than not, I need to do a quick accelerate to join to traffic. My '14 with a 5.7, 3:55 rear and 6spd had zero issue getting up and moving, my ED is abysmal, shockingly so. The truck has zero real acceleration and takes a good 3-4 seconds for the turbo to spool enough to put out any real power. That 3 seconds can mean my getting hit if I'm trying to merge into traffic. Lately, I've even tried to stage the turbo in hopes I can spool it up to avoid the lag...but that doesn't even work.

I've just resorted to sitting there waiting for a much larger hole to open up in traffic.

Now...I will say that this all changes when the engine is in the 208F coolant temp range, acceleration is well where I would expect it to be given the engine's specs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is there a throttle reset that can be done by us? I had a Crossfire that I could perform a throttle reset by key on key off key on wait 5 seconds three gas pedal pushes....yada yada. Is there such a thing for our trucks?

·
Registered
32 Posts
part of the throttle "delay" is just the nature of a diesel. When you step on the throttle of a gas engine, your opening a throttle plate letting in air, diesels don't have a throttle plate, it relies on how much fuel is injected. It is the turbo that needs to spool up and start pumping air into the engine. Any turbo charged diesel* with little to no boost pressure can barely get out of it's own way.
I would have to disagree with it being the nature of a diesel. I have owned different diesels since 1995 and this is the first one that has had any throttle delay. I almost got hit a couple of times when I first got it pulling out and waiting for it to respond. I had to completely change my driving habits!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes,

I have a jeep Cherokee and just got my software update. The thing is now a dog from a standstill especially when cold. I was going to take it back to the dealer. Did you ever find a solution?

·
Registered
70 Posts
picking mine up today. If this thing sucks as bad as everyone says should kill resale value. 3K we are getting is a bargain for FCA if they have ruined the truck performance. note that VW didn't even try to fix the TDI jetta.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Happy to say not as bad as I feared from all of these guys posts. I was expecting essentially non drivable truck. To me the lag was always there it’s a bit worse now for sure. Hopefully gde will help. Good for those guys btw I hope they get rich. I bought my truck new in ‘14 got 25 mph consistently and had almost no lag. I think ECM flash 2015 right after VW got caught did more to hurt performance than this one did. I suspect the eco diesel I bought was no where close to where epa wanted it to be and it hasn’t driven that way since the first flash. Damn folks at vw ruined everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the update done on May 10th, took it back in on June 6th due to the dead pedal when the truck is cold. Not weather temp but engine temp. The dealer said they couldn't replicate the issue and I told them I was going to file a complaint with FCA either way and that I knew it wasn't the dealers fault but I have to go through the process to file a complaint. I called and filed the complaint and received a call within 24 hours from an FCA advocate. He called my dealer and we arranged for me to drop the truck off. Dealer amazingly duplicated the issue but no codes/errors so what can they do. They still have the truck until the 24th for additional testing. I highly doubt anything is going to happen but I want FCA to know I'm not happy with the tune. I know it's not FCA's decision but who am I going to complain to? I might contact the EPA or CARB to file a complaint but they don't care about the consumer.

My suggestion is if you have any issues or even the slightest change in vehicle driving then report it. My service advisor showed me a document that the complaints have made it back to FCA and the engineers are looking into it. This was a hand written note on the back of the service write-up at the dealer. I didn't get a copy and don't know if I will when I pickup the truck on the 24th.

tw

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the update done on May 10th, took it back in on June 6th due to the dead pedal when the truck is cold. Not weather temp but engine temp. The dealer said they couldn't replicate the issue and I told them I was going to file a complaint with FCA either way and that I knew it wasn't the dealers fault but I have to go through the process to file a complaint. I called and filed the complaint and received a call within 24 hours from an FCA advocate. He called my dealer and we arranged for me to drop the truck off. Dealer amazingly duplicated the issue but no codes/errors so what can they do. They still have the truck until the 24th for additional testing. I highly doubt anything is going to happen but I want FCA to know I'm not happy with the tune. I know it's not FCA's decision but who am I going to complain to? I might contact the EPA or CARB to file a complaint but they don't care about the consumer.

My suggestion is if you have any issues or even the slightest change in vehicle driving then report it. My service advisor showed me a document that the complaints have made it back to FCA and the engineers are looking into it. This was a hand written note on the back of the service write-up at the dealer. I didn't get a copy and don't know if I will when I pickup the truck on the 24th.

tw
Call Lieff-Cabraser law firm. They are the ones handling the administration of the settlement. They are not FCA's law firm. We need to give them all our complaints so they have more info to fight this for us.Contacting FCA and their '833' number is completely useless.
Please contact them.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
So unfortunately my EcoDiesel was originally sold in Canada so I am unable to receive the $3075. Which I think is crap because I’m still a U.S. citizen. Anyway, I had the recall taken care of and the next day my check engine light came on, and my Service Electronic Throttle Control message came up and my light came on (red lightening bolt). It wasn’t in limp mode and would start back up upon turning it off, but it definitely lost power big time I couldn’t pull a hill faster than about 40mph. So I took it to the dealership and it turns out my boost control sensor was clogged with soot. My paperwork hasn’t been fully processed by FCA, so I had to foot the bill for $207, but I just wanted to post this in case anyone encounters a similar problem after the recall is taken care of. Enjoy that check guys I wish I could get it too..............

41 - 58 of 58 Posts