RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '15 Eco for 5 years now. I ordered it in 2014 and got one of the first 2015's in production...a limited with all the bells and whistles. It had some issues early on, but overall has been a great truck. It replaced my 2004 GMC duramax and I have never looked back. I see a lot of negativity on this forum and I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that out of the 100,000 trucks out there that the great majority are problem free and putting grins on their owners faces day in and day out.

My truck now has 75K miles on it, has air suspension and sits outside year round (Chicago winters). I have air conditioned seats for hot summer days and it is a very capable machine for towing, camping, hauling and everyday driving. Fuel mileage is much higher than any gasser in its class and all the reasons I bought it in the first place are still all the reasons I love the truck.

I have not done the emissions recall and don't plan on doing it until the last minute next year...if it ain't broke, why fix it. I have peace of mind with an 8 year, 120K extended warranty and I also have a great dealership (Fields Chrysler, Jeep and Ram in Glenview IL.). I am sure there will be an answer for the latest EGR issue and there will probably be another issue after that, but we all took a chance on the first 1/2 ton truck to sport a diesel option for the powerplant because we were early adaptors and believed in the technology. Anybody who thought it would be perfect, certainly should not have bought one in the first place.

So let's hear it for the happy owners out there!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have had my '15 Eco for 5 years now. I ordered it in 2014 and got one of the first 2015's in production...a limited with all the bells and whistles. It had some issues early on, but overall has been a great truck. It replaced my 2004 GMC duramax and I have never looked back. I see a lot of negativity on this forum and I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that out of the 100,000 trucks out there that the great majority are problem free and putting grins on their owners faces day in and day out.

My truck now has 75K miles on it, has air suspension and sits outside year round (Chicago winters). I have air conditioned seats for hot summer days and it is a very capable machine for towing, camping, hauling and everyday driving. Fuel mileage is much higher than any gasser in its class and all the reasons I bought it in the first place are still all the reasons I love the truck.

I have not done the emissions recall and don't plan on doing it until the last minute next year...if it ain't broke, why fix it. I have peace of mind with an 8 year, 120K extended warranty and I also have a great dealership (Fields Chrysler, Jeep and Ram in Glenview IL.). I am sure there will be an answer for the latest EGR issue and there will probably be another issue after that, but we all took a chance on the first 1/2 ton truck to sport a diesel option for the powerplant because we were early adaptors and believed in the technology. Anybody who thought it would be perfect, certainly should not have bought one in the first place.

So let's hear it for the happy owners out there! View attachment 84415
Sounds like a plan. Good to hear good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's nice to see good posts like this, and I'm glad you're still happy after 5 years and 75k miles. I believe the reason these forums (regardless of product, make, or model) appear more negative is because almost nobody is vocal about having a great experience. People come to get help with problems or see if others have similar issues so it may seem like everybody has problems or hates their truck.

I personally had 4 years and 75k miles of happy, problem free operation with my truck, also a 2015 which I ordered and picked up from the dealer in december of 2014. But in the last year the cab has been removed twice, first to replace the turbo, then to replace the heads and intake manifold. And also had the dpf and scr replaced in between those jobs. None of these have resolved my issue, and the dealership and FCA have all but given up, saying "there is nothing wrong with the truck".

Despite that I'm still fighting to get it fixed, because at the end of the day I still love this truck.

·
Registered
626 Posts

I bought mine for mpg and I get it so in that sense I'm happy. Where there is a problem is these engines have been out for 5 years now and there is a huge problem with them. Had fca released them with the aem tune they have now, I doubt they would have continued production. Mine is a 17 with no major issues but there is a major recall. If you get the aem you will probably no longer like your non emissions cheating truck.

When I can dump mine I will, and the 2018 pacifica we bought at the same time, which has plenty of issues as well. I knew better to buy fca but my wifes grandfather retired from chrysler so when she wanted the pacifica we ended up buying both at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's nice to see good posts like this, and I'm glad you're still happy after 5 years and 75k miles. I believe the reason these forums (regardless of product, make, or model) appear more negative is because almost nobody is vocal about having a great experience. People come to get help with problems or see if others have similar issues so it may seem like everybody has problems or hates their truck.

I personally had 4 years and 75k miles of happy, problem free operation with my truck, also a 2015 which I ordered and picked up from the dealer in december of 2014. But in the last year the cab has been removed twice, first to replace the turbo, then to replace the heads and intake manifold. And also had the dpf and scr replaced in between those jobs. None of these have resolved my issue, and the dealership and FCA have all but given up, saying "there is nothing wrong with the truck".

Despite that I'm still fighting to get it fixed, because at the end of the day I still love this truck.
What are your unresolved issues? Maybe we can help here on the forum.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts

I find this the norm of everybody that i have met that has one . Of all the people that i stop and talk to with these none have had some of the problems spoken on this site. And neither have i. These are great engines that have been proven over seas for years. Of course the ones that do have problems end up posting them ..here. And for the most part FCA has really stepped up to take care of the issues. I surely couldn't have said that about my last audi :( And of course these emission's problems have plagued ALL the manufactures. Not just FCA. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one of their fine products.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find this the norm of everybody that i have met that has one . Of all the people that i stop and talk to with these none have had some of the problems spoken on this site. And neither have i. These are great engines that have been proven over seas for years. Of course the ones that do have problems end up posting them ..here. And for the most part FCA has really stepped up to take care of the issues. I surely couldn't have said that about my last audi :( And of course these emission's problems have plagued ALL the manufactures. Not just FCA. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one of their fine products.
So you think FCA's handling of the emissions software fiasco, AEM rollout in USA and Canada and their handling of the EGR cooler problems prior to the recall because of engine fires are all admirable????

·
Registered
626 Posts
So you think FCA's handling of the emissions software fiasco, AEM rollout in USA and Canada and their handling of the EGR cooler problems prior to the recall because of engine fires are all admirable????
Exactly, I knew better than to buy 1, much less 2 since we bought a pacifica at the same. First 2 last 2, pacifica has issues too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread, so here's a link to my first very lengthy post about it from several months ago (don't feel obligated to read it, it's mostly a rant about the dealer). it's still ongoing and I have some new info, but i've done a poor job of keeping it updated. I've also reached out to some other owners both on this site and in person, but have no resolution yet.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/silver-and-the-terrible-no-good-very-bad-dealer.65986/#post-994300
I reread your saga again and now remember reading it months ago.
You sure can write and articulate. Very well done.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, They don't seem to be 'running away' from any of these issues . But working to correct them. I have seen many issues from other manufacturers that should have been recalled but were not. Its not so much that there is a problem but how its taken care of that matters.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes, They don't seem to be 'running away' from any of these issues . But working to correct them. I have seen many issues from other manufacturers that should have been recalled but were not. Its not so much that there is a problem but how its taken care of that matters.
They ran away from day 1 by cheating emissions. Now the trucks are worthless and you're stuck with it

·
Registered
272 Posts
They ran away from day 1 by cheating emissions. Now the trucks are worthless and you're stuck with it

?? Stuck with it ? They would be hard pressed to try and take it. I am just as happy..No ..Happier then when i bought it .. And now with the extra $3000 i am ecstatic ! Thank you FCA !

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is the norm with all products and all manufacturers. Those who are enjoying their experience rarely post about it and those who are not are the ones who get vocal.

The number of Eco's out there is more like 160,000 if you count the Canadian sold units ... yup we bought half as many Eco's as Americans even though we only have 1/10'th the population, and yet most of the complaints we read on here are from Americans.... which leads me to wonder if the problems are heat related.

I am another owner of a completely original 2016 Eco, albeit with very few miles (80,000km = 50,000 miles), and so far all I have had done is a DEF tube (heater failed) and the AEM. I don't drive mine during the winters now, so I anticipate that the EGR cure will be identified before I take it out again in May.

All in all .... I am happy with mine and I wouldn't sell it or trade it unless the deal was golden in it's awesomeness.

·
Registered
626 Posts
?? Stuck with it ? They would be hard pressed to try and take it. I am just as happy..No ..Happier then when i bought it .. And now with the extra $3000 i am ecstatic ! Thank you FCA !
Cant sell it, reputation is out. Cant trade it, no value since new ones are priced cheaper. Multiple people saying insurance isnt covering the fires and FCA isnt doing anything either. They just recalled 100,000 promasters for fire too.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Thousands upon thousands of EGR coolers have been replaced outside of warranty for the past 3 years......and it takes many engine fires and a mandated recall by the NHTSA for Chrysler to stand behind this faulty product. We should all be happy to be loading our families into these four wheel incinerators with no apparent fix yet. Why wouldn't we be happy with these fine products?

What are we up to now....is it 4 recalls already.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have not done the emissions recall and don't plan on doing it until the last minute next year...if it ain't broke, why fix it. View attachment 84415
Same here. Let's hear it for the happy owners. I don't want to jinx myself because I don't have any real wood nearby to knock on. But nearing 39k miles with only one issue, a random stall/P016F code at 34k miles and I changed the fuel filter, no issues since.
Shit happens. It seems to happen a lot with these trucks but like someone else said, more people are eager to complain than praise.
I haven't done AEM (yet) either, waiting it out until deadline too. I think the variance in customer satisfaction with the AEM is due to the variance in quality of service between FCA dealerships and their qualifications/tech credentials/level of giving a shit. A good dealer that performs the AEM properly creates a happy customer. A dealer that does what they need to do to get the truck out of their shop probably creates the AEM complaints. Judging by the level of competence of my local dealer(s), I am waiting it out with the hopes FCA releases a better AEM tune and/or dealer service procedure for the recall. The $3k is just money in my pocket at that time. The truck makes me money in the meantime.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
Best truck I have ever owned. It is a modern diesel with all the emissions problems that plague them. Once you work around those pesky problems, the EcoDiesel is a very enjoyable power plant. I bought my ED with the expectation that tweaks would have to be made to ensure reliability. Diesels are not for everyone, that's why there are gas engines. Plan to keep mine for many years. I do have the Maxcare and AEM warranties. When those run out, I will eliminate the pesky devices altogether.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my 2015 Ecodiesel new on 9/12/15. I love it. It’s done well thus far. Currently I’m at a little over 118,000 miles. My daily commute to work consists of 88 miles round trip. And of those miles, only 10 are of two lane roads. The rest are on the interstate. I agree also, that folks that have negative experiences are more likely to post. And you know what? I don’t blame them. If I had a bunch of unresolved issues, I’d likely want to “vent” as well. Perhaps those of us that have had positive experiences should post more...

·
Registered
568 Posts
..... snipped ... we all took a chance on the first 1/2 ton truck to sport a diesel option for the powerplant
For the record ... I don't know who was first to put a diesel into a half ton pickup, but it's not Ram with the Ecodiesel.

My Dad bought a 197? GMC with the 5.7L diesel, brand new in 197? ... I am going to say 1976 or 1978. He drove that truck about 100,000 miles (160k-KM), mostly pulling his travel trailer between Ottawa and Florida, and took it an several cross continent trips without the trailer. At 100,000 miles the crankshaft broke in half, and had he opted to take them up on their offer, GM would have repaired the motor at no charge. He refused, and swapped the motor for a 5.7L Olds gas motor.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts