RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
We have a 2015 with 78,400 miles. We've been in the shop for an EGR cooler, DEF injector, and MAP sensor replacement. Other than that, we haven't had any major issues. We do an enormous amount of towing with it. I would eventually like to buy a 2021 Ram Ecodiesel, but we are going back to a Cummins for most of our heavy towing needs.

·
Super Moderator
2,996 Posts
Overview did my turn the EGR off tune at 33k, clogged cat lead me to "clean it out" at 260k and get a $50 tune update, EGR cooler leaked after that so I went to a delete however low coolant overheat damage was already done and she eventually pushed a head gasket at 371k. Most of the problems I had seem to be emissions systems driven.

New motor tuned from day one. It did almost immediately have some fueling problems (dirty fuel and largely carry over fuel system) but after that has been pretty smooth sailing. Spent $315 to prepare for restoration of engine & trans tunes prior to AEM which happened prior to leaving the dealership lot. Got $3,075 to more than reimbursement me. Odometer stopped working at 621,359 hopefully it gets resolved Tuesday. Have about 3k miles unregistered but such is life. Never had an intake turbo or transmission problem.

So I have about 253k on the new motor and so far so good. End of next month the engine will be out of warranty. But she runs so well uses very little oil and the truck has held up so well that I plan to run her for a good while before making her the back up. Still enjoy driving this truck. She is quiet smooth pulls smooth shifts well no clunks or rattles is solid with respects to pretty much everything mechanically that I am aware of. Even gets great mileage loaded or unloaded relative to speed & load. She has been maintained though, fluid changes alignments new struts etc. I do have respect and compassion for those who have not had the luck I have. Too many have twisted out engine bearings and its still hard to tell if this was emissions driven, bad bearings, poor assembly, or some combination. If its not a good motor well then it didn't miss the mark by much IMO.

VM Motori did not originally design this engine for American emissions. Well nobody did or have time to fully test emissions systems thanks EPA. The consumers and the industry pays heavily for governments decisions. Anyway now with the gen 3 ED and new emissions systems I am looking forward to seeing how it does in the 5th gen Ram.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
New motor tuned from day one. It did almost immediately have some fueling problems (dirty fuel and largely carry over fuel system) but after that has been pretty smooth sailing. Spent $315 to prepare for restoration of engine & trans tunes prior to AEM which happened prior to leaving the dealership lot. Got $3,075 to more than reimbursement me. Odometer stopped working at 621,359 hopefully it gets resolved Tuesday.
625k on that truck! Simply nuts. I remember you turning the first 100k. Been a while since I’ve been here. I just rolled 53k on my F150 today. Was a lifetime average MPG of 16.2 before I put upgraded E rated tires on it. I’m taking a 2mpg hit I’m estimating but I contribute some of that to more idling and winter blend junk fuel. Still not my 22.5 lifetime MPG my EcoD got. They both have their pros and cons. Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have not done the emissions recall and don't plan on doing it until the last minute next year...if it ain't broke, why fix it.
Glad you like your truck and have had good luck. Just an FYI, I'm guessing the dealer will want to perform the AEM on your truck at the same time they get it in for the EGR recall work.. something to keep in mind if you like the way it feels now.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Ill roll over 79000 miles today or tomorrow on my '15 bought new in '16. I have not had to replace so much as a light bulb on this truck. Oil and filter changes, air filter, and fuel filter and the addition of a block heater cord (Texas truck didn't come with it) is all I have done.

I will say that I talk to every ecodiesel owner I come across and more of them have had an engine replaced than haven't. I'd love to know the real number of failures and the cause but I doubt we will ever know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 14 from a friend 2 yrs ago. The day he got it ( special order) he stripped off the exhaust and straight piped it. Ran a ppei tune that disabled the egr and gave it more hp. It is pushing 100k now and has never missed a lick. Just one weeping water pump that I replaced. Has run shaeffers oil in since mile 10. I switched to a GD tune a year ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my '15 Eco for 5 years now. I ordered it in 2014 and got one of the first 2015's in production...a limited with all the bells and whistles. It had some issues early on, but overall has been a great truck. It replaced my 2004 GMC duramax and I have never looked back. I see a lot of negativity on this forum and I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that out of the 100,000 trucks out there that the great majority are problem free and putting grins on their owners faces day in and day out.

My truck now has 75K miles on it, has air suspension and sits outside year round (Chicago winters). I have air conditioned seats for hot summer days and it is a very capable machine for towing, camping, hauling and everyday driving. Fuel mileage is much higher than any gasser in its class and all the reasons I bought it in the first place are still all the reasons I love the truck.

I have not done the emissions recall and don't plan on doing it until the last minute next year...if it ain't broke, why fix it. I have peace of mind with an 8 year, 120K extended warranty and I also have a great dealership (Fields Chrysler, Jeep and Ram in Glenview IL.). I am sure there will be an answer for the latest EGR issue and there will probably be another issue after that, but we all took a chance on the first 1/2 ton truck to sport a diesel option for the powerplant because we were early adaptors and believed in the technology. Anybody who thought it would be perfect, certainly should not have bought one in the first place.

So let's hear it for the happy owners out there! View attachment 84415
X2. My 2015 has been a great truck also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cant sell it, reputation is out. Cant trade it, no value since new ones are priced cheaper. Multiple people saying insurance isnt covering the fires and FCA isnt doing anything either. They just recalled 100,000 promasters for fire too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have a '15 Laramie Longhorn with 61,xxx miles and was offered close to $40K on a trade for a '19 2500 6.7 Laramie Longhorn lacking only a sunroof to be comparable to mine. The 2500 was reduced by over $12K in addition to the trade. Recall or no recall, insurance will compensate the owner for a fire loss and then possibly go after FCA. That is their choice. The Promaster recall is related to the engine cooling fan which may seize causing the cooling fan motor to overheat. You use the same logic Adam Schiff uses in the impeachment hearings, mixing apples and oranges.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a '15 Laramie Longhorn with 61,xxx miles and was offered close to $40K on a trade for a '19 2500 6.7 Laramie Longhorn lacking only a sunroof to be comparable to mine. The 2500 was reduced by over $12K in addition to the trade. Recall or no recall, insurance will compensate the owner for a fire loss and then possibly go after FCA. That is their choice. The Promaster recall is related to the engine cooling fan which may seize causing the cooling fan motor to overheat. You use the same logic Adam Schiff uses in the impeachment hearings, mixing apples and oranges.
Good for you. My 17 big horn with 18000 miles they offer 26k. And as I said, there are insurance companies denying coverage due to the fires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
I hope you didn’t leave the dealership without a signed agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Turned 200,000 kms today on my 2016. Other than EGR cooler leak and subsequent delete, truck has been fantastic. Just hate the way FCA has dealt with issues and not stood behind their product. Canadian owners got a lesser warranty from the start, no AEM money, no AEM extended warranty, no support when EGRs leaked just out of warranty. Wah....wah...wah...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2014 Longhorn has 88K miles and I'm still happy as a clam. It received the stage II delete with GDE tune about 15 K miles ago. Also had the water pump replaced. Expensive repairs, yes. But I'm getting 28mpg average in central Florida and the truck is a joy to drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '15 that I bought in '17. I assumed it was an off lease. Didn't know anything about the truck. Kind of an impulse buy, but I couldn't pass on the price. I was looking for a truck to pull my small cargo trailer camper in retirement and I was debating whether to go gas or diesel. This truck was immaculate inside and out and only 36,000 miles.

First trip with the trailer was to TN, I'm in IN. No problems and 18 mpg! I loved the truck.

The next 4 trips to various locations, the truck left me stranded. 1st time the truck went into limp mode. Dealer cleaned a sensor and everything ok. Next trip, to PA, same problem. This time the replaced ALL the injectors. Have not had a repeat of this problem. Next trip was a whining belt that I assumed needed replaced. Turned out to be a bad water pump that was leaking onto the belt. Last trip was an oil leak that was determined to be the front gasket.

All of these problems have been under warranty, with no cost to me, but I have also been to the dealer for all the recalls. Sometimes twice, to fix the problem.

Make no mistake, I love this truck when it is running! Love the mpg and the power, but I had a dealer's mechanic tell me he would NEVER own this truck without a warranty. When mine is gone, so is the truck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my '15 Eco for 5 years now. I ordered it in 2014 and got one of the first 2015's in production...a limited with all the bells and whistles. It had some issues early on, but overall has been a great truck. It replaced my 2004 GMC duramax and I have never looked back. I see a lot of negativity on this forum and I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that out of the 100,000 trucks out there that the great majority are problem free and putting grins on their owners faces day in and day out.

My truck now has 75K miles on it, has air suspension and sits outside year round (Chicago winters). I have air conditioned seats for hot summer days and it is a very capable machine for towing, camping, hauling and everyday driving. Fuel mileage is much higher than any gasser in its class and all the reasons I bought it in the first place are still all the reasons I love the truck.

I have not done the emissions recall and don't plan on doing it until the last minute next year...if it ain't broke, why fix it. I have peace of mind with an 8 year, 120K extended warranty and I also have a great dealership (Fields Chrysler, Jeep and Ram in Glenview IL.). I am sure there will be an answer for the latest EGR issue and there will probably be another issue after that, but we all took a chance on the first 1/2 ton truck to sport a diesel option for the powerplant because we were early adaptors and believed in the technology. Anybody who thought it would be perfect, certainly should not have bought one in the first place.

So let's hear it for the happy owners out there! View attachment 84415
I couldn't agree more! When I read a lot of these posts it scares me as I'm not that savvy mechanically - but also gives me good ideas on the not-so-routine diesel maintenance I need to be looking at (soot and sludge). I was one of the first to take the leap - 2014 SLT with plenty of options. I still love this truck. Over 5 years and 157,000 kms. Had my DEF tank freeze and cracked my DEF pump when it was -50C wind chill last winter, but other than that this truck has been totally trouble-free. Have not done the emissions recall either and at this point see no reason to. The fuel economy is phenomenal for a full size pickup.
Sideview.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remember those engines they were an olds gasoline engine retrofitted to a diesel. Saw lots of them in the shop in olds 98's they were a worse headache than these ecodiesels! Fuel pump issues lots of Injector pump issues, head gaskets and if it wasn't that it was the transmissions breaking flex plates input shafts and drums due to vibrations from the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fantastic, truck was working fine before the emissions recall, took it in and I had nothing but trouble since. I received a notice recall regarding a hair line crack with the coolant system last week and wouldn’t you know my coolant level will not stay up and now engine check light is lit up. What more can this piece of shit truck go wrong with. Never buy a European motor again!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Fantastic, truck was working fine before the emissions recall, took it in and I had nothing but trouble since. I received a notice recall regarding a hair line crack with the coolant system last week and wouldn’t you know my coolant level will not stay up and now engine check light is lit up. What more can this piece of shit truck go wrong with. Never buy a European motor again!
The motor is sound, the emissions equipment sucks.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts