RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi forum,

First time posting, but I've been lurking for a few months. I wanted to send a quick thanks to all who have posted on this forum - the info presented here was of great value to me, someone not only new to Ram, but new to diesel, and trucks in general. The knowledge from this community really helped inform my purchase and made me feel more confident with the whole process.

I decided to get a truck after needing to rent one several times last year for hauling and light towing needs. The majority of my vehicle use is about a 25 mile highway commute each way. I had an aging small SUV. Initially, I hadn't considered a pickup initially as I wanted something that had a quiet cabin, comfortable ride, and decent gas mileage. I also wanted space for the kids and a good sound/infotainment system.

The last truck I rode in was a base model F150 I rented to do some landscaping work at the house. Based on that experience, I thought a pickup truck would not meet any of the above criteria.

That's when I read the review of the Ram 1500 Hemi on Consumer Reports. Excellent ride, check. Quiet cabin, check. Bluetooth, gadgetry, check. Utility for hauling, projects, outdoor stuff, check. Gas mileage.... Not so much. But then I read about the Ecodiesel and started following this site and the long term test at Edmunds.com.

The ecodiesel was projected to get the same gas mileage as my old small SUV (EcoD better on highway actually.) I wasn't as much concerned about the cost differential between gasoline and diesel which I've seen discussed a lot, I was more concerned about the environmental impact. I would feel badly for commuting myself to and from work in a vehicle that got 12mpg (no offense meant to anyone else's philosophy, I'm just sharing my reasoning.)

So I ordered the truck in late November, took receipt in late December (faster turnaround than I expected.) 1500 Laramie Crew cab, 4x4, air suspension. Used the Tread Lightly discount - thanks for that tip!

Impressions? It's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Put 2,000 miles on in the first month - which is way outside my normal driving habits. I keep looking for excuses to go places. Interior is phenomenal. So comfortable to drive and ride in. I installed a Bedrug and a roll up tonneau cover. Utility is awesome, as I'm sure you long term truck owners already know.

My family and I just returned from a 1000 mile road trip - this may be the best road trip car ever. Tons of interior/bed space, great highway cruise and mileage. The truck just wants to keep going, the miles melt away.

For the record, thus far - zero mechanical/electrical/maintenance issues. Oh wait, I have had to wash it 3 times. Fuel mileage for me, about 23 avg with 26.5 on highway cruising.

So, from this owner, a very positive experience. Thanks again to those on this forum for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum. It's great to hear some positive feedback! This site draws a lot of owners that have problems and probably far more than those who go happily on there way without problems. If you like the ride, you must have optioned for the air suspension. You may have noticed elsewhere in the forum that the coil suspension is pure truck and a little stiff. Just ask me.... All the best to you and enjoy your truck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome, ramnoob, & congrats on the new ride. It only gets better!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I second anomaly, if you read this site, seems like every ED out there has a major problem. I for one have had ZERO issues with mine and the fuel ecomomy is very good, and it you take your time or if the roads are bad and you have to slow down you can get amazing mileage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome Ramnoob. Great to read the positive and trouble free posts like yours. We love our truck. Only issue was the leaking exhaust bellows at the turbo which my dealer took care of right away. Looking forward to many miles of enjoyment. Be safe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with wanting to hear the good stories. Reading the forum, I was getting somewhat paranoid before my truck arrived, but rationally it seems that only a small portion of owners are having problems. They naturally want help, or to vent, so you see a disproportionately negative view of reality on the web.

I am reassured by my experience and by the recent poll suggesting that 70% of owners have had no issues, with only a few having serious issues. That data is made more powerful when you realize it's derived with the above caveats of selection bias on an Internet forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad to hear of your satisfaction with your new truck. I think I looked at your exact same truck the other night, I have also been cruising this forum and decided to go have a look and test drive in person. I loved it, and I wasn't looking for a truck as loaded up as that one, but after seeing it and driving it, I'm not sure I could be happy with anything less. The sticker on the Laramie with air suspension and more options than I needed was $53,750. I have looked at RAM's website and getting a loaded SLT Outdoorsman with the air suspension still puts me at $49K, but without leather, memory seats, and a few other things. I'm thinking if I can't afford the Laramie I will just wait until I can, or maybe a good used one will get traded in.

Anyway, A big congrats, and hope you continue to enjoy your truck!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean ebrobb, the frills available on the Laramie are hard to resist. I'm not very good at recalling the different packages, and what comes with which, but the things that have been very nice to have: back up camera, park assist (for a truck newbie), remote start for warming up the engine. I'm also becoming a fast fan of the heated steering wheel, sad to say.

I'm coming from a car that had basic radio/cd player. Having the Bluetooth phone option for calls and media is a whole new world for me. Also love the customizable EVIC. I'm not using the Nav much (google maps on the phone is better), but the Uconnect combined with the steering wheel buttons is very efficient once you get the hang of it.

I went with the package that has the key fob and remote entry. That seems minimal, but it's really nice to not have to fiddle with keys when you're moving kids in/out of car. Until you mentioned it I forgot that I have the memory seat option - thanks for the reminder!

The above being said, these are mostly niceties. All trim levels of this truck have good points. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever option you choose. But if you're already spending $49k, the extra 10% to get exactly what you want is most likely worth it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
That's awesome, I'll have to remember being cautious the next time my wife hood in the bed, with the air suspension making noises!

I'm coming out of an old Mercedes sedan and not missing much, considering it's different design purpose. The high end German vehicles often come with air suspension but I find the Ram design to be much more useful.

I have had a couple check engine lights but since they were the non-blinking dash light I haven't worried about it. Have to remember I came from s mid 2000,s Mercedes that we're know for electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Should come with a warning label... "Caution! Use of air suspension with wife in bed can be hazardous to operators health. User discretion is advised"

·
Registered
196 Posts
Glad to hear of your satisfaction with your new truck. I think I looked at your exact same truck the other night, I have also been cruising this forum and decided to go have a look and test drive in person. I loved it, and I wasn't looking for a truck as loaded up as that one, but after seeing it and driving it, I'm not sure I could be happy with anything less. The sticker on the Laramie with air suspension and more options than I needed was $53,750. I have looked at RAM's website and getting a loaded SLT Outdoorsman with the air suspension still puts me at $49K, but without leather, memory seats, and a few other things. I'm thinking if I can't afford the Laramie I will just wait until I can, or maybe a good used one will get traded in.

Anyway, A big congrats, and hope you continue to enjoy your truck!!
The only thing I dislike about the Laramie trim is the poor quality leather used... You better get the Laramie longhorn!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think there is a lot of us guys reading all these posts bashing Ram and ED, but not saying much. I think its because we love the ED and have had very little to no trouble at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts