RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I was driving to dog training when I noticed my coolant temperature rising. Unfortunately I was on a major interstate and could not get pulled over and stopped very quick.By the time I was able to get pulled over the truck was in full overheat mode. Coolant and engine oil were both reading too hot. I got it shut off towed home and ordered a new thermostat. I figured with no heat, over heating, that it was probably thermostat. Changed thermostat and the truck ran for about 10 minutes no over heating no leaking. Went to restart would not start. Just a loud clanking sound upon initial try then nothing. upon retrying it started for a few seconds, read low oil pressure. I quit trying to start changed my oil and filter, Tried to start again it took about 10 seconds to start but eventually did start. it was blowing a lot of white smoke, with the bad smell associated with it. I called the dealer they said that it would probably blow white smoke for a while seeing as it got that hot. So I drove it for a quick 15 minute drive. by the time I got home it was over heating again. What was a full coolant level was low again, Upon taking off the oil cap I noticed a lot of coolant oil mix scum around the top of the oil fill tube and the cap. I am assuming it is a cracked head or blown gasket. My question is, Rebuild this motor with 160,100 miles on it or have them install a new motor. Truck is a 2015 1500 laramie. truck body and interior are near perfect condition. Advice from others more experienced would be great. I am a carpenter no mechanic. Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Welcome, lot's of information about your situation on this site, the dealer if treated with respect should take your truck, give you a loaner and hand it back fresh, now your situation may differ but for the most part, the ecodiesels are self detonating and it's a known problem, do a search, read some opinions, have some ideas when you talk to your dealer again, if you have dealers nearby, some might be helpful some might not, but FCA, which sold you the truck will if polite stand behind their product, hopefully.

(It might get covered under warranty, try)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, lot's of information about your situation on this site, the dealer if treated with respect should take your truck, give you a loaner and hand it back fresh, now your situation may differ but for the most part, the ecodiesels are self detonating and it's a known problem, do a search, read some opinions, have some ideas when you talk to your dealer again, if you have dealers nearby, some might be helpful some might not, but FCA, which sold you the truck will if polite stand behind their product, hopefully.

(It might get covered under warranty, try)
I bought the truck locally at a ram dealership used almost one year ago exactly. Unfortunately, I don't have any warranty. So it will probably all be out of pocket. unless their is some agreement with ram concerning these motors I am not aware of. What is FCA? I have a good relationship with my local dealer.So hopefully things aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Have you had the AEM software update? Also it sounds like your EGR cooler has leaked coolant iinto your intake which was ingested into your engine until you had low enough coolant to overheat. I would push the dealer for a engine under warranty as the EGR cooler is on safety recall. Unless the EGR cooler was already replaced under the recall?

·
Registered
506 Posts
FCA, when I bought mine (in 2014) the name Chrysler Ram was at the masthead, moto guzzi was mentioned, then suddenly I learned I had a Fiat in the driveway, I watched Fiat leave the US in the 80's with it's tail between it's legs, here we are now with major problem after major problem and Fiat at the helm.
FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

So, there's a chance you might be covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,630 Posts
My question is, Rebuild this motor with 160,100 miles on it or have them install a new motor. Truck is a 2015 1500 laramie. truck body and interior are near perfect condition.
I'd lean twords replacement as the cost to pull and rebuild probably won't be significantly less than buying new. The advantage of buying new is everything on the engine will be new. Going with a rebuild I would probably have the turbo, HPFP and probably injectors replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Id actually say it depends.... if you have a known top notch engine builder near you, id go for a rebuild. Those guys can work wonders improving mistakes made in original designs. They can tweak bearing clearances etc... and even do some head porting. Ud have a pretty nasty 3.0 after that.

Upside of a crate engine is a 1 yr warranty. I would not have the dealer do the install. They suck and are monstruously expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.I took it into my local dealer this morning. He confirmed that the EGR had not been updated. They ordered all the parts to do all the necessary recall work. It seemed by the way he was talking there was a couple. He said they have to fix that stuff first then address any other issues. Then he tells me that when they pulled it in that they thought it may be vapor locked. I asked what that means he said new motor. I asked " so you're going to do all the recalls then tell me I need a new motor?" He confirmed that if when they had it tore apart they seen significant damage they would contact chrysler and see how they wanted to proceed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured I would give an update. The EGR did in fact leak into the intake. They done a recall update no out of pocket cost to me. I picked truck up thursday morning. Friday afternoon it is back in limp mode with exhaust filter 100% full and throttle control lights both on.
I love this truck when it is running. I am just not sure its worth the constant breakdowns. Someone said just chip it and bypass the exhaust filter. At this point is that even possible.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Figured I would give an update. The EGR did in fact leak into the intake. They done a recall update no out of pocket cost to me. I picked truck up thursday morning. Friday afternoon it is back in limp mode with exhaust filter 100% full and throttle control lights both on.
I love this truck when it is running. I am just not sure its worth the constant breakdowns. Someone said just chip it and bypass the exhaust filter. At this point is that even possible.
If you get a tune from https://hddieselsupply.ca/i-2691155...esel-dpf-egr-delete-kit-hand-held-device.html you could delete it if that's what you're asking..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took the truck back to dealer. They done a regen and changed a bad exhaust sensor. picked up the truck drove about 15 miles and engine light came back on. something to do with the coolant bypass and something about throttle. shop said it would be another 1600 to fix. I had to pay 390 for the regen and sensor. I decided that I had put enough money in this motor so I traded the truck in on a new ford. Too bad I really liked this truck when it ran.

·
Registered
572 Posts
took the truck back to dealer. They done a regen and changed a bad exhaust sensor. picked up the truck drove about 15 miles and engine light came back on. something to do with the coolant bypass and something about throttle. shop said it would be another 1600 to fix. I had to pay 390 for the regen and sensor. I decided that I had put enough money in this motor so I traded the truck in on a new ford. Too bad I really liked this truck when it ran.
What did you get for a Ford? I have 2019 F150 with 3.5 EB

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Seems highly dependent on drive and driving style.. I am much closer to these guys averaging 20 mpg..

Maybe.....and mine has a kevelling kit with upgraded rims and tires which may be a factor but....... its a PITA to put $125 in gas every two to three days even if I don't pay for it. I miss my Ecodiesel as a daily driver. Its finally getting some rest now 2016 with 237,000kms.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Maybe.....and mine has a kevelling kit with upgraded rims and tires which may be a factor but....... its a PITA to put $125 in gas every two to three days even if I don't pay for it. I miss my Ecodiesel as a daily driver. Its finally getting some rest now 2016 with 237,000kms.
Do you have the 36 gallon tank? I'm getting 700 mile range with my F150 due to the large tank..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts