RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I personally do not use the aero mode at all in order to avoid that the suspension has to work too much by raising-lowering the truck ; especially when the truck is moving.
My 2014 ED Ram with air ride 87000 miles just started to flash the dash with warnings to get the AIR SUSPENSION SERVICED IMMEDIATELY . It comes and goes but I never have any ride issues. I’m planning to go to the dealer to report this but I don’t expect they will do anything at this time . I do have a 5yr - 120k mile extended warranty

·
Registered
545 Posts
The air suspension on my '14 has acted up the past two days thanks to the 'vortex' but it never goes down to the bump stops and I think I've found a method to keep it from going all the way down - though this could just be coincidence.

During a cold spell last winter the suspension dropped to the bump stops when I was on the highway and I had the Aero Mode engaged. I stopped for a customer visit and when I came out and started the truck the suspension came back up to normal. I turned off Aero Mode and the truck didn't misbehave the rest of the winter.

Fast forward to the current vortex... the Aero Mode is still turned off and though I do get an error message in the EVIC the truck maintains normal ride height and rides fine. The truck won't let me raise it to Offroad 1 or 2 (and I don't try to lower it to Entry/Exit height in case it won't come back up to Normal) but other than that it rides normally. The error message goes away after it flashes just after startup but no obvious signs that the air system isn't working properly.

Do any of you with air suspension issues have your Aero Mode engaged?

Bob
I turned it off after my last issue (before the compressor was replaced). It is still off.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Let us know if that works. Was -34*F here yesterday am and part way through my drive I noticed that really stiff ride you get in the lowered position. When I finally pulled back in the garage, I noticed the drivers front wheel all the way compressed down. After letting it set in the (warmer) garage for a few hours I noticed the truck leveled off by itself. Just for added assurance before going out again that afternoon, I ran a heater under the truck back by the compressor assembly. Everything worked fine the rest of the day. Although I love the air suspension, it has to have costed RAM some good money for all the cold weather issues owners have had.
So nothing I did worked. Pulled two fuses for the Air Suspension - Compressor (40AMP) and another 10AMP one (Can't remember the name). I actually left them out for a while (mainly because I broke the 40AMP one pulling it out..lol). Replaced the fuses, still the same.

My next thinking is that I have to reset the computer in the Truck itself. A guy mentioned he pulled his negative battery terminal for 10 minutes, and his Air Suspension came back.

It is supposed to warm up a little today too - so be interesting to see if it starts to work. Also parked the back end in a spot where it will get the Sun all day. Doubt it will do anything, but hey - I'm trying :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2014 ED Ram with air ride 87000 miles just started to flash the dash with warnings to get the AIR SUSPENSION SERVICED IMMEDIATELY . It comes and goes but I never have any ride issues. I’m planning to go to the dealer to report this but I don’t expect they will do anything at this time . I do have a 5yr - 120k mile extended warranty
Dave,
I started another discussion about this topic in this area, but I thought I would report in. I had my pump replaced last January, started having problems again in recent cold snap. Here was the result at the dealer. They removed the current nitrogen, recharged it with new nitrogen, and added a little air line antifreeze (according to dealer this has been approved by FCA within the last year as the fix). I also had small leaks in the rear springs and they replaced those. I see you have the warranty. The bill for all of this was $1659 and I paid $100 deductible. Dealer said they haven't had any trucks back yet with the air line antifreeze fix.

Hope this helps the discussion.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dave,
I started another discussion about this topic in this area, but I thought I would report in. I had my pump replaced last January, started having problems again in recent cold snap. Here was the result at the dealer. They removed the current nitrogen, recharged it with new nitrogen, and added a little air line antifreeze (according to dealer this has been approved by FCA within the last year as the fix). I also had small leaks in the rear springs and they replaced those. I see you have the warranty. The bill for all of this was $1659 and I paid $100 deductible. Dealer said they haven't had any trucks back yet with the air line antifreeze fix.

Hope this helps the discussion.
Thank you for the reply. It seems to be working fine now . If warnings return I will tell the dealer what you said ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you for the reply. It seems to be working fine now . If warnings return I will tell the dealer what you said ?
Dave, one other comment. By the time I got my truck into the dealership, it was no longer in the sagged mode. This is a known problem in cold weather so I didn't have to convince him something was wrong. They know it. They were going to do the antifreeze solution no matter what the state of sag was, so don't feel it has to be in sag mode before you take it in. The added thing they found that added to the cost was the small leaks in the rear springs. I believe he said those were $650 each. My MaxCare warranty has saved me way more than it cost. I have the 8 yr 120,000 warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there Ecodiesel community; long time reader, first time poster here.

Like most of you I've also been fighting unreliability issues with the air suspension come freezing temperatures since day one. Up until this Winter, I've let the dealer handle the issues, and they've replaced every component in the system at least once (I'm on my third compressor), and I still run into problems with the cold. It all seems to boil down to leaks in the system letting in moist air that later condenses and freezes somewhere blocking a valve or fitting somewhere.

I've finally come to a crossroads - my 100,000km warranty has ran out. I'm currently around 129,500km, and still having trouble whenever the mercury drops more than 20degrees in any 24hour period. I guess the quick drops in temperature doesn't allow the moisture to vent before it freezes up somewhere critical. I have spent so much time trying to fix this cheap Chrysler system, but it hadn't occurred to me until now I may have been going about it all backwards. There are buses and highway tractors with air suspension systems all over place around here dealing with as bad (or worse conditions in some instances) and I've never heard a ton of buzz about they're systems going down or requiring constant maintenance/part replacements.

Is there a chance that Chrysler just cheaped out on the parts and there may be better quality replacement parts out there that we should be swapping in when the stock components fail? Are we missing something in regards to how the dryer works in this system?

Just a thought? Has anyone tried sourcing better quality parts? Has anyone tried contacting Firestone or Air Lift and see if they could piece together a replacement system or missing component that would help combat the moisture issues.

I'm hoping to make it through the winter, but unfortunately we have already decided that I'll need to sell the truck due to how unreliable it is. It's sad, because I really liked the truck, but just can't depend on it. It may work in California but it sure as hell doesn't work north of the 49 :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey there Ecodiesel community; long time reader, first time poster here.

Like most of you I've also been fighting unreliability issues with the air suspension come freezing temperatures since day one. Up until this Winter, I've let the dealer handle the issues, and they've replaced every component in the system at least once (I'm on my third compressor), and I still run into problems with the cold. It all seems to boil down to leaks in the system letting in moist air that later condenses and freezes somewhere blocking a valve or fitting somewhere.

I've finally come to a crossroads - my 100,000km warranty has ran out. I'm currently around 129,500km, and still having trouble whenever the mercury drops more than 20degrees in any 24hour period. I guess the quick drops in temperature doesn't allow the moisture to vent before it freezes up somewhere critical. I have spent so much time trying to fix this cheap Chrysler system, but it hadn't occurred to me until now I may have been going about it all backwards. There are buses and highway tractors with air suspension systems all over place around here dealing with as bad (or worse conditions in some instances) and I've never heard a ton of buzz about they're systems going down or requiring constant maintenance/part replacements.

Is there a chance that Chrysler just cheaped out on the parts and there may be better quality replacement parts out there that we should be swapping in when the stock components fail? Are we missing something in regards to how the dryer works in this system?

Just a thought? Has anyone tried sourcing better quality parts? Has anyone tried contacting Firestone or Air Lift and see if they could piece together a replacement system or missing component that would help combat the moisture issues.

I'm hoping to make it through the winter, but unfortunately we have already decided that I'll need to sell the truck due to how unreliable it is. It's sad, because I really liked the truck, but just can't depend on it. It may work in California but it sure as hell doesn't work north of the 49 :(
mburt,
I know this is frustrating and I can feel the pain. I noticed that you didn't mention if the dealer had inserted air line anti freeze into the system for the very reason you mentioined. Buses and highway tractors apparently have air line antifreeze in their systems. As I mentioned, dealer said Chrysler just allowed this starting about a year ago. I don't know if its going to work, time will tell, but dealer said this has pretty well solved this in their dealership. Have they tried this yet on your truck? I am in ND so we deal in extreme temperatures.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Truck is in the shop again. About a week after the Compressor was replaced, it started squatting again - mainly on the left side. Then it appeared to squat only on the back end - and this week, on all four corners (that made for an interesting ride). Sometimes I would get an error message on EVIC, sometimes not.

Other things I noticed:

1) Big delay between when I would hit the raise/lower button - to EVIC actually saying it was trying to do something. Often the light on the button would flash for at least a minute, before a message would appear on EVIC to match the attempt leveling.

2) It would never level - but when I would return to the Truck, EVIC would say the Truck was at the level I selected (Off Road 1) that it was attempting before I shut the truck off. However it was no where near off road 1.

3) I would hear the compressor at times running - but nothing would change in the stance.

I have told the Service Adviser about the Airline AntiFreeze, and requested that they look it up. (If anyone has the STAR/TSB - or whatever it is called - on it that would be helpful).

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Truck is in the shop again. About a week after the Compressor was replaced, it started squatting again - mainly on the left side. Then it appeared to squat only on the back end - and this week, on all four corners (that made for an interesting ride). Sometimes I would get an error message on EVIC, sometimes not.

Other things I noticed:

1) Big delay between when I would hit the raise/lower button - to EVIC actually saying it was trying to do something. Often the light on the button would flash for at least a minute, before a message would appear on EVIC to match the attempt leveling.

2) It would never level - but when I would return to the Truck, EVIC would say the Truck was at the level I selected (Off Road 1) that it was attempting before I shut the truck off. However it was no where near off road 1.

3) I would hear the compressor at times running - but nothing would change in the stance.

I have told the Service Adviser about the Airline AntiFreeze, and requested that they look it up. (If anyone has the STAR/TSB - or whatever it is called - on it that would be helpful).
So as I was typing this, I got a Txt from the SA. The technician found another Leak, this time at the manifold valve that goes to the Reservoir - so guessing it was freezing up there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Got back from the Dealer and spoke a bit with the Service Technician who worked on my vehicle. Turns out there was another leak - and in fact all the Nitrogen had leaked out - so the system was completely empty. No wonder it went flat.. If it goes again, they will replace the manifold and the valve block.

I mentioned to him this forum (he does use some) and the Air Line Antifreeze which he had not heard of - but does make sense. There does not appear to have been any notification, but he said he would look into it, as some vehicles keep coming back with Condensation issues. At the very least it might be something I look at, but only after the Warranty is gone, as currently he said it is not an approved fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bruce3211; thanks for the response.

They recently replaced the compressor and valve block assembly and recharged the system for me (early January) and the truck seemed fine when I picked it up from the dealership, but was back to the same levelling issues overnight. They didn't specify if any airline antifreeze was added or not, however I suspect not. It's also worth noting this was done on the dealership's dime, even though I'm well past my warranty (~125,000kms) I argued that this was a pre-existing issue that hasn't been properly dealt with since I first brought it in around the 35,000km odometer mark, and the service manager agreed to take care of it for me.

I was heading out of town for work shortly after so I wasn't able to bring the truck back in until a couple weeks later, at which point I had made a point of bringing the truck indoors to warm up and everything seemed to return to normal after a few hours. When the dealer ran their diagnosis, they told me the ECU needing replacing because it had logged a ton of error codes... this didn't sit well with me, because I knew the truck levelled out when it warmed up, so needless to say I wasn't sold on it being an electronics issue.

I pushed to get the ECU report (all 24 pages of it!) and it didn't seem to me that it was indicating the computer was malfunctioning at all, just a bunch of low air mass and sensor high/low voltage codes, which for all practical reasons typically mean to investigate these codes - not replace the parts!? I was suspicious it was still a moisture issue, maybe ice formed on a sensor or blocked a valve, so I requested they evacuate the system and give me a moisture reading prior to recharging it. They resisted at first but after speaking directly with the technician he agreed that's likely the best course of action before we replace a $1400 ECU (he was previously just following the FCA diagnosis protocol). Turns out the ECU was fine, and is no longer throwing any more codes, and I've been driving it for the last 3weeks without issue in -25C to -30C weather. Fingers crossed it makes it through the winter!

I'll try and follow-up with the dealership today about the air line antifreeze. What exactly am I asking for? Does anyone know a specification or something on what the other dealers are using?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2015 Limited came back from the dealer yesterday. They said it froze up and before it blew the fuse, it sucked in oxygen somehow. They evacuated replaced with nitrogen and added antifreeze. Last year the air suspension stopped working but fixed itself. I also have the max care warranty but the bill was only $105 with tax so didn't use it.
Now if I could solve the exhaust/oil smell in the cab would be 100% happy with truck, have GDE but no delete.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Truck is back at the dealer. This time it was flat on 3 wheels, and jacked up (almost looked like off road 2) on the back right wheel. Makes for an interesting drive. Dealer called today - they have been told to replace the Compressor (again) - but this time with a newly re-designed one.

Errors:

Air Suspension Cooling down.
Air Suspension needs Immediate Repair/Maintenance.
Selected Ride Height not allowed due to Payload.

Pressing the up/down buttons -> sometimes would do nothing (no blinking, or message in EVIC). Truck thought it was in Off Road 1.

I think someone mentioned it in one of the posts that there is a new Compressor Design, that they hope fixes the issues. So looks like I am getting the new one, and will see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Truck is back at the dealer. This time it was flat on 3 wheels, and jacked up (almost looked like off road 2) on the back right wheel. Makes for an interesting drive. Dealer called today - they have been told to replace the Compressor (again) - but this time with a newly re-designed one.

Errors:

Air Suspension Cooling down.
Air Suspension needs Immediate Repair/Maintenance.
Selected Ride Height not allowed due to Payload.

Pressing the up/down buttons -> sometimes would do nothing (no blinking, or message in EVIC). Truck thought it was in Off Road 1.

I think someone mentioned it in one of the posts that there is a new Compressor Design, that they hope fixes the issues. So looks like I am getting the new one, and will see what happens.
Hi All,
Just joined to share in the discussion re: this ongoing issue. I have had all the same issues as everyone else, with a 2015 ED 1500.
Currently my truck is 1300 km away, after the suspension crapped out on a trip...it was hauled to the closest dealer, and apparently is ready for pickup following a purge of the system and refill of nitrogen! I got home by renting a Uhaul with a 20ft box...not fun, but it got me home! Did I mention I live in the Yukon...and it gets cold here. The first time my truck gave me suspension issues, the local dealer removed the power supply from the battery and reconnected it to the ignition, via a relay, this allowed the system to only power up when the ignition was on....not a bad move I thought. They also replaced the compressor and a couple of bags/springs. This winter, the saga continues...the issue as I see it is moisture in the system, freezing up when the temps drop.
I have tried the brake line antifreeze fix, it seemed to work for a short period but is cumbersome to introduce. My local dealer did this for me, once I had researched it and told them about it...they had not heard of it previously. Correct me if I am wrong, but the suspension system is considered closed because the bags will vent back into the tank, and not directly into the atmosphere, however it is not a closed system as one would think as there is periodically makeup air brought into the system (line with filter located behind the passenger side taillight). The system will also vent excess to the atmosphere through the line with no filter which is co-located with the make-up air line. I think moisture is introduced to the system if there is a hole in the system somewhere (bag, line, connection, etc.) or through the makeup air line...and possibly through condensation. On my recent trip, my system had recently been serviced, so I suspect there should have been no "holes" present...I spent a lot of time on the coast, and if it was not raining, there was high humidity in the air...leading me to believe moisture was introduced through the makeup air line. The issue is how to get rid of that moisture? FCA built their system with no dryer as far as I can tell, but I understand there is a desiccant inside the compressor? Does anyone know for sure? Does anyone know if there is a governor on the compressor?
Currently I am looking into the possibility of installing an auto vent which should release any moisture collected in the system (12 volt heater also integrated) Will post any updates if this is possible. If that doesn't work....I'll be investigating replacing the system with traditional suspension, or trading it in!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bob , all i can say is your damn lucky to be able to deactivate the Frickin' AERO mode , I have a '13 Ram Sport , i have no way at all to MANAGE my pneumatic system , other than pulling the fuses . I've had a number of issues with mine . I live near Montreal Quebec , sooo we have cold weather here ( 0 - -20*F) the only way i can run my truck is in OFFROAD2 , then i pull the fuses ( 40a compressor , 20a pneumatic control - computer- ) my truck stayed rock solid in th offroad2 position for 2 months ... that means no leakage in the pneumatic system . came the day i had to move a friend , (10*F outside ) i hook up the trailer , load the trailer ... the suspension went down because of the load . I put the fuses back in , the pump pumps ... but no raise ( my dash reads offroad2) not good . I let the truck run for about an hour and the suspension raised a bit ( normal mode in my opinion) the dash says offroad2 but the top bar is flashing . Sooo we decide to take off , destination is 1.5h away .... 15 min into the ride ....the suspension goes into BUMPSTOP mode .... long ride to get to my buddy's new home .... returned home on BUMPSTOPS :-( , this was saturday . I get home stuffed the truck into the garage ( not heated) its was till Wednesday when the temps got up a bit (35*F) the suspension decided to RAISE some .... wow what a relief !! :) . A few days after it got a tad warmer and i managed to get the suspension back into offroad2 mode , its been holding there since almost a month now ( with the fuses removed) now march 21st i have another buddy to move .... i am praying like crazy that it will be warm enough for the system to be able to RE-LEVEL when the trailer is loaded .
Now, to my knowledge ... the system has a 2 chambers .... air form the outside ( hence air intake/exhaust near passenger tail light ) apparently the reservoirs underneath have a BLADDER which separates air from compressor , and the nitrogen ... as for the compressor ... there is no pressure reading ... the compressor apparently is supposed to run for X amount of time to pressurize the system , if the compressor is not EFFICIENT it will not get the air pressure up to PAR , hence not filled , and low suspension level . i have ruled out the air bladders at each wheel , and the pneumatic system because the system will hold its pressure , i am in the process of buying a new compressor/manifold system , hoping this will possibly resolve my issues ... wish me luck !! ???

Don

21 - 37 of 37 Posts