RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings one and all. Brand new here, and CURRENTLY not an ecodiesel owner, but would like to be.
(NOTE: I would not just be brand new to FCA products, but diesels in general.)
However, I'd like some input on whether the gurus here think I would even be a good fit for an ecodiesel.
I don't tow often, or very heavy loads (because my '04 Tahoe with 229k miles prefers not to, it likes plowing instead), but I would likely tow more often and heavier loads with a vehicle that could. Also, my daily commute is barely 40 miles round trip, which would worry me in a diesel. I only get a couple trips in a year where I'd be towing a small travel trailer, otherwise it would be towing an older 16' ski boat occasionally on the weekends. But, given the mpg ratings, it would likely become my daily AND weekend vehicle instead of splitting miles between car & truck.
SO.. given those rough guidelines, would an ecodiesel work for me, or would I be better off in a gasser?
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey TZ.

I can't give you a perspective like a lot of these guys can because I'm in the same boat. I have a Toyota 4Runner and an ED would be my first FCA, but I did have a 6.0L Powerjoke for a few months.

I will tell you my commute is similar to yours in length and the guys on here seemed to support my thoughts on getting an EcoDiesel so I would say that the consensus for you would be similar. I have a 19' ski boat. I think as long as you, like me, understand that maintenance with a diesel differs from a gasser in a number of ways, that you would qualify just as much as I do. In fact, my 4Runner is my daily and I use a Ford Expedition to tow the boat. So we are similar in our wants to condense to one all-around vehicle as well.

Personally I think the EcoDiesel would be right for you. As I have learned from the gents on here you will want to invest in a GDE tune pretty quickly because it makes the truck run cleaner which is good in any diesel, not just the 3.0L ED.

I actually had a conversation with my brother today and his opinion because I have been between the Tundra, F150, and RAM be it a Hemi or ED. Tundra for the reliability and V8, F150 EcoBoost, or RAM. Consumer Reports shows Tundra as the most reliable truck with RAM a close second and F150 a distant third in used models. I love my 4Runner so Toyota seemed obvious to me, but 45 miles round trip at 13 mpg seems stupid just for brand loyalty. The F150 EcoBoost is extremely tunable and can put 0-60 time down that are incredible for a truck, much less a crew cab 4x4, but Fuelly.com averages show 15.5 mpgs, and in the 4 years I've owned my 4Runner I've floored it maybe a handful of times. Hemis are legendary in their own right, but again 15ish mpg combined.

I am drawn to the ED because as I've aged, I respect the environment more. 23 mpg out of a clean burning diesel isn't too shappy. Fuel savings, a complete burn, and overall good reliability seems like a no-brainer to me and I was raised Toyota/Ford for 28 years.

The other thing that is both a good and bad thing, is I believe that RAM is kind of a hidden gem in the truck world because they are better than consumers realize. Everyone remembers Mopar having issues, so they'll pay premiums for Fords, GM, Toyota...but when you look at Consumer Reports reliability and satisfaction, its really only a competition with RAM and Toyota. A close one at that. You get more features and goodies out of a RAM for the same price of other trucks, and personally I think they are the best looking. But obviously that is one's personal perspective, your mileage will vary.

My buddy bought a 2015 F150 5.0L with 50,000 miles last year. It's been in the shop with driveline issues about a third of the time he's owned it.

My brother had a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L, and said he regrets trading it in. Wishes he still had it. His current truck is a 2007 Tacoma. Another buddy has a 2013 RAM and preaches "Mopar or no car". They have to be doing something right because even though they don't sell as many as Ford or GM, they are still very popular. Add in the ecodiesels have a 100,000 mile warranty...I interpret that as a company willing to back up their product.

I think you are a good candidate for the EcoDiesel. But if you are more comfortable in a gasser, go with what you're comfortable with. I will say as more folks comment on your thread and the more you research in here, you will be sold that it's the truck for you. That's what happened to me.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes...run it like you stole it once the oil temp is 150+. 20 miles should do it...stretch it's legs at least every other week on a nice country drive. Ensure a used truck has (or get) GDE tune to shut off EGR. My first 50k was stock and my dad is 60k bone stock on a 2015.

Be prepared IF YOU CHOOSE TO TEST DRIVE one you will have to have it. Otherwise stay out of the cab. Had mine in another 2 feet of water hawg huntin' this last Wednesday and the weight of the front end in severe clay/mud inspires confidence versus my old f150. Perhaps my imagination but feels as solid off road as my 7.3 Excursion...more sure footed than the f150.

Probably in my head...but that is where the ED will be I you drive one too....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Greetings one and all. Brand new here, and CURRENTLY not an ecodiesel owner, but would like to be.
(NOTE: I would not just be brand new to FCA products, but diesels in general.)
However, I'd like some input on whether the gurus here think I would even be a good fit for an ecodiesel.
I don't tow often, or very heavy loads (because my '04 Tahoe with 229k miles prefers not to, it likes plowing instead), but I would likely tow more often and heavier loads with a vehicle that could. Also, my daily commute is barely 40 miles round trip, which would worry me in a diesel. I only get a couple trips in a year where I'd be towing a small travel trailer, otherwise it would be towing an older 16' ski boat occasionally on the weekends. But, given the mpg ratings, it would likely become my daily AND weekend vehicle instead of splitting miles between car & truck.
SO.. given those rough guidelines, would an ecodiesel work for me, or would I be better off in a gasser?
Thanks for your time.
TZ
These Ecodiesel's seem like a pretty decent truck, go with the GDE tune as soon as you can, add Hot Shot Every Day treatment to the fuel and forget about doing anything special after that you should be good to go. My fuel economy fell off before I got the GDE tune now it has bounced back I have managed to hit 36.5 MPG ( Imperial ) under good conditions so that alone makes me a happy camper.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Go for the ecodiesel you won't regret it. Just add $750 on top of the truck price for GDE. Don't worry about the bad media around these trucks. They all have their issues. Mine is almost 3 years old now with 80k miles GDE tuned. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I believe that I've driven 3 million miles over the years and my Ecodiesel is far and away the finest vehicle that I've ever driven. Get the GDE tune, I tuned mine at 5,000 miles, now oil still looks new at 10,000 miles! I average just under 30 mpgs in winter, rest of year 31-34 mpgs! I try not to drive over 65 mph , like my last hemi Ram, above 65 mph, mpg's drop. Drive all of the other trucks first, GM, Ford, Tundra, etc. Ram Ecodiesel will blow you away. I recently drove a $68,000 F150 Powerstroke, nice, but no cigar. Ram for the win.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I love my Eco Diesel. My commute for 2 years was only 14 miles and never had a problem. Half of the ride was 35 - 50 mph the other was 55 -60 mph. But for 6 miles coming home was climbing from 340 ft to 1250 ft so the truck did get a bit of a workout then. ( also 6 miles down hill in the morning, no workout there) then the occasional 30 - 60 min highway run.

One thing that you should be aware of that could be a dealbreaker. I noticed that you mentioned plowing with your current truck. Ram states in the manual that you can not install a plow on these trucks. I know that I was very disappointed when I found that out ( after I bought it! ). I love this truck, I just wish that I could plow with it.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Your commute is long enough to get and keep things warm. That should not be an issue for you.

Whether having the ability to tow more is a good thing or not depends on your interests and ability. If I had another 2500 the wife would demand I spend lots of money I do not have and buy a much larger toy hauler trailer. See???
Having the ability to tow more can be a mixed blessing.

All the comments about GDE have relevance. Without it the engine soots up and many emissions sensors seem to fail frequently. That issue is near a must with the EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Don't try to apply diesel "rules" from the seventies to the 3D. It was originally designed to be put in a luxury car (European Cadillac CTS) and is also now used in Alfa Romeos and Maseratis.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love my Eco Diesel. My commute for 2 years was only 14 miles and never had a problem. Half of the ride was 35 - 50 mph the other was 55 -60 mph. But for 6 miles coming home was climbing from 340 ft to 1250 ft so the truck did get a bit of a workout then. ( also 6 miles down hill in the morning, no workout there) then the occasional 30 - 60 min highway run.

One thing that you should be aware of that could be a dealbreaker. I noticed that you mentioned plowing with your current truck. Ram states in the manual that you can not install a plow on these trucks. I know that I was very disappointed when I found that out ( after I bought it! ). I love this truck, I just wish that I could plow with it.

Good luck in your search.
Very good to know!
I've thought about whether or not to keep plowing for family/friends/church with the 'new' vehicle, but maybe not... OR, since the wife seems to have thought of it first (yeeeahhh), maybe keeping my '04 Tahoe to plow with in the winter (as if I need ANOTHER vehicle in my drive).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your commute is long enough to get and keep things warm. That should not be an issue for you.

Whether having the ability to tow more is a good thing or not depends on your interests and ability. If I had another 2500 the wife would demand I spend lots of money I do not have and buy a much larger toy hauler trailer. See???
Having the ability to tow more can be a mixed blessing.

All the comments about GDE have relevance. Without it the engine soots up and many emissions sensors seem to fail frequently. That issue is near a must with the EcoDiesel.
Captainmal, I've ready a lot of your posts/replies and I appreciate you taking time to respond. :)
I can only HOPE the wife starts looking for a bigger camper...LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LAST question.

IF shopping for a used ED...what can I look at/for during a test drive to know if it's has EGR coolant issues, or is already sooting up, etc..without taking parts off the motor??

·
Registered
134 Posts
LAST question.

IF shopping for a used ED...what can I look at/for during a test drive to know if it's has EGR coolant issues, or is already sooting up, etc..without taking parts off the motor??
If you find one you like if you can afford it you would be best to take it to a dealer that sells lots of ED and has a good tech they get to know what commonly fails and where to look.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would look at the coolant level in the degas tank, oil level and condition , maybe even an oil test(Blackstone Labs) . See if it holds cruise control at 15 mph. If it does, you won the lottery! It already has the Hot Tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would look at the coolant level in the degas tank, oil level and condition , maybe even an oil test(Blackstone Labs) . See if it holds cruise control at 15 mph. If it does, you won the lottery! It already has the Hot Tune.
Ok, coolant level & color and oil condition/color I remember reading - pretty standard things I check anyway, but I forgot that the GDE tune will adjust the cruise. Thanks for the info/reminder. :)

I have to admit, I've never gone this in-depth when buying my other used vehicles, but none had any known potentially critical engine issues. So, when it comes to getting the oil tested, or even having a mechanic inspect it, how would someone to do that BEFORE buying a vehicle? Do I try and plan for the mechanic to inspect it on a test drive, or..? *(next problem will be finding a good diesel mechanic in the area)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
After reading your questions and replies from the forum, Remember mechanic’s are not magicians or physics they cannot predict a engine failure unless it’s knocking really Loud , they’ll check fluids road test it , listen to it , maybe check the front end , check wear items.. As mentioned Oil samples...

IMOP I’m not a big fan of Extended warranties , But the EcoDiesel has several common very expensive failures items showing its ugly head , Besides Engine failures, Crank positioning sensors, Waterpump failures, Burn’t and stuck glow plugs , Emissions issues , leaking EGR , ect ...

Now any of these issues will be in the thousands to repair, I enjoy to take risk and gamble/invest , Myself I try to hedge My investments =BUY An Extended Warranty!!!! It’ll cost a couple grand and probably will never need it ..

To me the Ram 1500 is a great truck , The EcoDiesel is a pleasure to drive , fuel economy is fantastic, I use to just take it out for drives , just to enjoy driving it ...

Myself I moved on from the EcoDiesel because I didn’t want to go to dealerships for warranty issues, I would rather own what I know how to work on without removing cabs , or half the engine to replace a failed component , because anything mechanical is eventually going to fail at some point..

Again IMOP if you purchase a used EcoDiesel purchase an extended warranty, They are a pleasure to drive !!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After reading your questions and replies from the forum, Remember mechanic’s are not magicians or physics they cannot predict a engine failure unless it’s knocking really Loud , they’ll check fluids road test it , listen to it , maybe check the front end , check wear items.. As mentioned Oil samples...

IMOP I’m not a big fan of Extended warranties , But the EcoDiesel has several common very expensive failures items showing its ugly head , Besides Engine failures, Crank positioning sensors, Waterpump failures, Burn’t and stuck glow plugs , Emissions issues , leaking EGR , ect ...

Now any of these issues will be in the thousands to repair, I enjoy to take risk and gamble/invest , Myself I try to hedge My investments =BUY An Extended Warranty!!!! It’ll cost a couple grand and probably will never need it ..

To me the Ram 1500 is a great truck , The EcoDiesel is a pleasure to drive , fuel economy is fantastic, I use to just take it out for drives , just to enjoy driving it ...

Myself I moved on from the EcoDiesel because I didn’t want to go to dealerships for warranty issues, I would rather own what I know how to work on without removing cabs , or half the engine to replace a failed component , because anything mechanical is eventually going to fail at some point..

Again IMOP if you purchase a used EcoDiesel purchase an extended warranty, They are a pleasure to drive !!!!
I completely agree, an extended warranty is definitely in the cards. And I agree about mechanics. The good mechanics I know wouldn't claim to know 'enough' to be an expert in much of anything.
For me, expanding my 'fleet' to run multiple fuels at least gives me an option when gas prices spike above diesel (which they did in some places near me last week - gas is normally a little cheaper). And, with something that is multi-purpose, gets good fuel economy, and is fun to drive as well, checks a lot of boxes for what I want in a vehicle. (Gosh I miss my dad's old '76 Ford now.) However, with it being a new, vastly different fuel/engine system than I'm used to, I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can to maximize my odds for getting one that's been treated well to start with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts