RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gents, in Gillette Wy. Left Mi Monday late. Its been a journey, and the Italian stallion is hurting. This truck has been doing this journey and more for 4 years, I don't recognize it as I write. The following is what we have experienced:
  • cooling fan runs constantly, but shuts off quickly.
  • At times heavy fumes in cab, especially when running at lower speeds.
  1. * Morning is a mess, if not at fully operational temp the shift from 1 to 2 or 3 is pitiful. Turbo barks. Wont go. Foot to the floor. Maybe 10 mph.
  • When in cruise, and even a slight grade it downshifts, it must defuel, horrible shudder and then cruise is lost, can only be reactivated by turning off and restarting.
  • 2 times in heavy headwinds, 20 gusting to over 40 it did the above but read air suspension needs service. It was working perfectly. Another but close was trailer brake has been disconnected. It wasn't.
  • never a cel. No messages
  • today approaching the big horns decided to only use cruise on level, if a grade turn it off and control by pedal
  • It doesn't have the same power and avg about 8.9mpg
I dunno, it keeps going but painful. Ram, your AEM IS NOT WORKING..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a challenge, but all of us were FCAs beta. Its our bond...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • All temps are normal. Oil is 220 to 230, coolant under 220, trans under 175. Under 8k on the ATC.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently towed my 6000 lbs trailer all over calif and oregon. Had the AEM performed right before the trip.

I noticed no changes in the vehicle at all ?? Averaged about 16 MPG, which is great.

I think your dealer screwed up your install...

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
I feel your pain. Its been said we get the government we are foolish enough to vote for. What is your plan with the truck? Nobody wants to live with that for long. 237k since heat from EGR cooler leak took out the head gasket on my first motor. (at 371k) I just watch my coolant until after the first of the year to knock on wood keep my EGR cooler until the first of the year when my warranty expires. So far she just purrs like a kitten but I was very fortunate in that I was able to correct the AEM de-tune both ECM & TCM before leaving the dealership parking lot.

Lucky Dog thats where GDE's turning off the pilot and post injections would really help.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only choice currently is to nurse it to our west coast destination. I'm sure it would be a different experience with a tune. I doubt much a dealer visit can do at this point, no cel to diagnose. No messages as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Yep dramatically better. Nope dealer has no solution or help for you. I believe you are opposed for whatever reason. You may have said that I have forgotten regardless no need for explanation. But fwiw you can still take some of that settlement money and acquire SK ECM & TCM tunes. May not be the quality in depth of GDE tune but certainly far better than the AEM. Like GDE they also have a brake very helpful and reassuring when that trailer is pushing you down a grade. And well who doesn't like a better mileage, power, cleaner engine, and a less problematic follow the check engine light to the dealership truck. With tunes and an EGR cooler delete I think its a pretty solid set up. At least for someone other than a cold climate short commute scenario. Even thats workable if one is willing to use the block heater and weather front. Its sure served me well.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. Wont start. Being towed into Gillette dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Something went haywire when the AEM tune was performed. Hopefully the dealer will straighten it out and get you back on the road.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a software download go astray on the locomotives I've worked on. It was common for an upgrade to take a perfectly good running locomotive & in a matter of minutes make it a dead useless boxcar. Eventually we would work through it & I'm sure you will work through yours as well. Good Luck!!!

Tech is a wonderful thing, until it's not !!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, nothing back from dealer. They are very busy, this could be a long time to get figured out.Were burning the trip interruption allowance on the 8/120 plan. Maybe tomorrow we will know more. They did try to start it. Parked it last night running. This morning?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It almost sounds like fuel pump failure. We had one of those A year ago. Truck ran great the previous day, but driver reported a couple of weird hiccups, down on power making hills hell.
Next morning it started once, ran terribly, stalled and never ran properly for the 100 yards it moved. Crapped out until pump was replaced.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could be, but all the false electrical warnings regarding air suspension and trailer brake, and fumes in the cab, bad sometimes at low speed. Had to open windows. So, time will tell. Gillette is our home at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope they get it sorted out quick for you. Did you get to talk to the diesel tech or just the service writer? Subscribed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just the service writer. His first words were booking 3 weeks out. This place is heavy truck and diesel due to oil and coal. Muddy new trucks in the lot all waiting to be worked on. One looks like it was submerged in mud, a 2019. Already looking at flying the wife home if this gets stretched out. Reality is techs are hard to find, so we are on the bottom of the list,

Appreciate the kindcwords. hopefully good news is coming.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just the service writer. His first words were booking 3 weeks out. This place is heavy truck and diesel due to oil and coal. Muddy new trucks in the lot all waiting to be worked on. One looks like it was submerged in mud, a 2019. Already looking at flying the wife home if this gets stretched out. Reality is techs are hard to find, so we are on the bottom of the list,

Appreciate the kindcwords. hopefully good news is coming.
The booking three weeks out seems to be a common thing. The last few times I've tried to get my truck in to get recall taken care of, I get the same story. You may want to call dealers in Rapid City South Dakota to see if they can get you in sooner, it may be worth the tow to Rapid if they can get you going. Then you can fight it out with FCA for the towing charges. The bad thing about Gillette is due to the coal industry collapse there has been a mass exodus of people out of there & the dealer may have had some of their mechanics affected by the chaos in the general area.

I wish you the best & good luck!!! Keep us posted as things progress.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts