1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
It looks like they are receiving some good reports too.

"Here is an account that reports no negative driving characteristic change."

— Matthew Cresci: 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel HFE owner

” I just had the emissions recall (AEM) done two weeks ago, and this weekend I will be doing my first towing trip with the new software. So far I haven’t noticed any differences in driveability or fuel economy. This will be a good test because I have past towing data to compare it to.”

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like they are receiving some good reports too.

"Here is an account that reports no negative driving characteristic change."

— Matthew Cresci: 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel HFE owner

” I just had the emissions recall (AEM) done two weeks ago, and this weekend I will be doing my first towing trip with the new software. So far I haven’t noticed any differences in driveability or fuel economy. This will be a good test because I have past towing data to compare it to.”
Perhaps it is because he has the HFE edition? I would think his software would be different than the standard Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a '15 Laramie, have no clue what HFE is, but my truck runs better than before. Mileage so far appears to be the same. Need a longer trip to see if it improved any

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Basically it's side steps running the length of the wheelbase that help smooth out underbody turbulence, and a tri-fold tonneau cover cleans up airflow out back and a badge.

·
Registered
130 Posts
TFL has been receiving many of the same complaints we have seen here in the forum and they have now published a video and an article on the issue. Word from a Ecodeisel Facebook group is that the lead counsel is also looking at opening up a class action buyback suit.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/08/owner-report-i-got-my-2014-2016-ram-and-jeep-ecodiesel-fixed-for-emissions-now-its-very-slow/

Good stuff, thank you for sharing. For those that are not having any issues, good on ya and I'm jealous. For others like myself, that are encountering issues, keep speaking up as this is not right what FCA has done.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
This one is comical:

"Edgar writes: Agree with the assessments that the vehicle changed drastically. I have to enter a busy street every time I leave home. First few days I almost was hit every time I went out there. Now I figured a way to merge into traffic. I press on the brake hard, rev the engine above 2300 rpm and then let go of the brake. It gets me across the street the way the Ram used to be. I’ll be selling it as soon as I get my 3K. I don’t like my wife driving it. Too dangerous. The benefits of the diesel have been ruined."

Total BS as this will trigger a CEL unless tuned.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Basically it's side steps running the length of the wheelbase that help smooth out underbody turbulence, and a tri-fold tonneau cover cleans up airflow out back and a badge.
Since I have an HFE, yes, it has the full-length running boards and according to the window sticker, etc. it is supposed to have a hard, tri-fold tonneau but they ended up using the one-piece vinyl stretched over 'ribs' frame. Kinda like what they put in the Lightning pu if I remember correctly. Possibly the SRT/10, too.
Also, it is based on the Express to get the more aero front end. And 2 wheel drive. All this bumped it up one more mpg to 29 hwy. on the sticker. (21/29 with 24 listed as Avg.) Hitch delete (for weight? or part of the Express pkg in the first place?)
Otherwise, same ECM/PCM

·
Registered
286 Posts
This one is comical:

"Edgar writes: Agree with the assessments that the vehicle changed drastically. I have to enter a busy street every time I leave home. First few days I almost was hit every time I went out there. Now I figured a way to merge into traffic. I press on the brake hard, rev the engine above 2300 rpm and then let go of the brake. It gets me across the street the way the Ram used to be. I’ll be selling it as soon as I get my 3K. I don’t like my wife driving it. Too dangerous. The benefits of the diesel have been ruined."

As a guy who had some issues with the AEM update. It's unfortunate that I am starting to see stuff that seems clearly made up because it takes away from people with real issues after the AEM update. Some of what I've been reading seems over the top or clearly a lie. My issues where lag and poor performance as a lot of people are stating. I due feel like the number of good reports far out way the bad. I am not sure what the deal is. I do know if it's possible for you to tune it do it and be happy again. The settlement money is more then fair enough with extended warranty and enough money to pay for the tune and pocket the rest. If ya can't do it I understand your frustration.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This one is comical:

I feel the same way as the guy who posted that. Truck ****ing sucks ass now.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The HFE isn't simply a badge, they are tuned differently. They also have stop/start and active grill shutters that change the airflow into the radiator.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096290_2016-ram-1500-ecodiesel-adds-hfe-model-for-higher-fuel-efficiency-rating
There is some inaccuracies in that article the ecodiesel has never had start stop and the hfe model in only available in the quad cab. They have the same tuning as all other models and all models have active grill shutters.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey all, I am the one with the HFE that commented to TFL. I just finished my first towing trip with the AEM. Still haven't noticed any differences in driveability, and just set a personal best MPG while towing. I do NOT believe the AEM increased my fuel mileage, but I am positive that it did not decrease it. Check out the video below.

Sucks that some people are having issues, very unusual that it doesn't seem to be consistent. As some have mentioned, is it possibly just a coincidence of age of the truck versus when the AEM was released? My truck has 32k miles on it, so it is a bit premature for any carbon, soot, or EGR buildup to cause problems. Is that why I am not having issues but others are? Curious.

EDIT: my truck does not have start/stop (I am one of the few that wishes it did, the technology exists for a reason). I also do not believe it has active grill shutters? On my 2016, I think all the HFE model included was: most aerodynamic layout (quad cab 6ft bed), aerodynamic running boards, tonneau cover, less electronics inside the cab, and of course a cool HFE badge :)

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Hey all, I am the one with the HFE that commented to TFL. I just finished my first towing trip with the AEM. Still haven't noticed any differences in driveability, and just set a personal best MPG while towing. I do NOT believe the AEM increased my fuel mileage, but I am positive that it did not decrease it. Check out the video below.

Sucks that some people are having issues, very unusual that it doesn't seem to be consistent. As some have mentioned, is it possibly just a coincidence of age of the truck versus when the AEM was released? My truck has 32k miles on it, so it is a bit premature for any carbon, soot, or EGR buildup to cause problems. Is that why I am not having issues but others are? Curious.

EDIT: my truck does not have start/stop (I am one of the few that wishes it did, the technology exists for a reason). I also do not believe it has active grill shutters? On my 2016, I think all the HFE model included was: most aerodynamic layout (quad cab 6ft bed), aerodynamic running boards, tonneau cover, less electronics inside the cab, and of course a cool HFE badge :)
And let's not rule out human perception. I tried the AEM and definitely noticed some lag until temps were up a bit to maybe 140 degrees. I didn't notice a decrease in fuel economy except the average was down a little due to the regen the dealer did. They basically rev the engine to 2500 RPM for 10 minutes or more.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts