RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 2015 4X4 came with the full length tubes, tonneau cover and active shutters. Now two slats in the shutters are removed, the full length tubes are removed (for several practical reasons), the tonneau cover is gone replaced by a cross bed tool box, the front bumper replaced with a winch bumper that is not exactly streamlined and the truck is leveled 2.5". BUT with GDE tune my mileage is actually INCREASED over stock, my only regret is not taking the reports on how good GDE tune is more seriously.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
My 2015 4X4 came with the full length tubes, tonneau cover and active shutters. Now two slats in the shutters are removed, the full length tubes are removed (for several practical reasons), the tonneau cover is gone replaced by a cross bed tool box, the front bumper replaced with a winch bumper that is not exactly streamlined and the truck is leveled 2.5". BUT with GDE tune my mileage is actually INCREASED over stock, my only regret is not taking the reports on how good GDE tune is more seriously.
That's good to hear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My report is not a good one on my 2016 RAM Laramie ecoDiesel...

I have been noticing a very significant (read dangerous) power delay - mostly when cold - since the AEM update, and was suspecting a drop off on average MPG as well.

Today after reading this post I sat down an ran the numbers:

My average lifetime mileage per gallon up to the date of the AEM was: 21.904 MPG
My average mileage mileage per gallon in the five fuel ups since the AEM was: 17.264 MPG

For those who might be numbers challenged, that is a significant and unacceptable 4.64 MPG reduction since the AEM update.

FCA will undoubtedly claim the reduced MPG is the result of the age and mileage on the truck (only 50,405 miles on the odo as of right now). So, I also calculated the MPG for just the last five fuel ups prior to the AEM update.

My average mileage in the five fuel ups just prior to the AEM was: 21.396 MPG.

The latter is clearly still a significant 4.15 MPG decrease in average miles per gallon.

My dealer will receive a call today and hopefully we will begin the process of getting me back the vehicle for which I shelled out my hard earned money. .

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts

I have been noticing a very significant (read dangerous) power delay - mostly when cold - since the AEM update, and was suspecting a drop off on average MPG as well.

My average lifetime mileage per gallon up to the date of the AEM was: 21.904 MPG
My average mileage mileage per gallon in the five fuel ups since the AEM was: 17.264 MPG

For those who might be numbers challenged, that is a significant and unacceptable 4.64 MPG reduction since the AEM update.

FCA will undoubtedly claim the reduced MPG is the result of the age and mileage on the truck (only 50,405 miles on the odo as of right now). So, I also calculated the MPG for just the last five fuel ups prior to the AEM update.

The latter is clearly still a significant 4.15 MPG decrease in average miles per gallon.

My dealer will receive a call today and hopefully we will begin the process of getting me back the vehicle for which I shelled out my hard earned money. .
Welcome to the forum.
The hesitation will be back to normal once you reach 150° F.
Your MPG's have suffered as a result of the forced regen the dealer did as part of the AEM. I'm surprised to hear the continued decrease. Do you hand calculate or depend on the EVIC?
There's no going back to the pre AEM tune. Your best option is probably an aftermarket tune.
Unless your truck is registered in CA the AEM was optional.

·
Registered
286 Posts

If you can tune it. Tune it

·
Registered
9 Posts
2014 Ram Limited Eco Diesel. Post AEM it is a vehicle I would not have purchased. Turbo lag to the point of being dangerous. Wait long enough and you are at 3500 RPM sucking fuel and have to let off the go pedal, just to do the same to keep up with city traffic. FCA has turned my truck into a piece of garbage. It has been two months since AEM and my case is “still under review” Horseshit! This was supposed to be the truck I put 500K miles on because it is a diesel, meticulously maintained and to have this happen completely derails my expectation for dropping 50 large for the pleasure. FCA has their balls in a vice complements to EPA and CARB, Leaves me one option and that is to tuned this bitch to the way it was before.
Note to self - FCA already knows if you have the GDE tune folks - Just because you don’t subscribe to UConnect doesn’t mean they aren’t taking telemetry from your vehicle without your permission. They can get the version of your ECM whether you know it or not; if it doesn’t match the AEM, then they know you are cheating and so your extended warranty goes by the board. So where does that leave you? Pissed off is where I am at. I just want my truck back damnit, not I have to spend more than Half of what I am supposed to get back from FCA to get the performance form the truck I originally bought. I am in the wrong business apparently!
PS FCA is doing what they have to Ah-La EPA/CARB - they have a good product and I would buy again - only it would be a Cummins - and I don’t need that kind of capacity and is why I bought the 1500. GDE here I come, soon as I get my cash from FCA... KB

·
Registered
469 Posts
2014 Ram Limited Eco Diesel. Post AEM it is a vehicle I would not have purchased. Turbo lag to the point of being dangerous. Wait long enough and you are at 3500 RPM sucking fuel and have to let off the go pedal, just to do the same to keep up with city traffic. FCA has turned my truck into a piece of garbage. It has been two months since AEM and my case is “still under review” Horseshit! This was supposed to be the truck I put 500K miles on because it is a diesel, meticulously maintained and to have this happen completely derails my expectation for dropping 50 large for the pleasure. FCA has their balls in a vice complements to EPA and CARB, Leaves me one option and that is to tuned this bitch to the way it was before.
Note to self - FCA already knows if you have the GDE tune folks - Just because you don’t subscribe to UConnect doesn’t mean they aren’t taking telemetry from your vehicle without your permission. They can get the version of your ECM whether you know it or not; if it doesn’t match the AEM, then they know you are cheating and so your extended warranty goes by the board. So where does that leave you? Pissed off is where I am at. I just want my truck back damnit, not I have to spend more than Half of what I am supposed to get back from FCA to get the performance form the truck I originally bought. I am in the wrong business apparently!
PS FCA is doing what they have to Ah-La EPA/CARB - they have a good product and I would buy again - only it would be a Cummins - and I don’t need that kind of capacity and is why I bought the 1500. GDE here I come, soon as I get my cash from FCA... KB
Just remember that FCA doesn't understand Fast Pay Makes Fast Friends. My $0.02 is: it's your investment, protect it sooner rather than later.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
FCA already knows if you have the GDE tune folks - Just because you don’t subscribe to UConnect doesn’t mean they aren’t taking telemetry from your vehicle without your permission. They can get the version of your ECM whether you know it or not; if it doesn’t match the AEM, then they know you are cheating and so your extended warranty goes by the board.
False

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well IF FCA can actually pull engine and ECU data via 3G cellular connection (aka UConnect), then I will sure as hell pull the damn fuse to that module, or just rip it out of the truck.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Well IF FCA can actually pull engine and ECU data via 3G cellular connection (aka UConnect), then I will sure as hell pull the damn fuse to that module, or just rip it out of the truck.
a member here ( Mark Grue I believe ) as discussed that before ,
a purple wire behind the radio , pull it , and no more communication with the mother ship .

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've not seen any evidence that FCA is able to get the ECM version over the air. However, they absolutely are taking some telemetry both without permission and without a Uconnect subscription. At Mopar.com under the "My Garage" section there is my current mileage listed with a timestamp. I have not been to the dealership in months so the only way they have this information is to have pulled it from my truck over the air. About once a month my current mileage is updated on the site, and isn't being done by me. I let my Uconnect expire 3 years ago. I'm not paranoid they are spying on me and not concerned enough to disconnect the cell antenna over mileage updates, but FCA does has some access to my vehicle info.
Mopar.PNG

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I've not seen any evidence that FCA is able to get the ECM version over the air. However, they absolutely are taking some telemetry both without permission and without a Uconnect subscription. At Mopar.com under the "My Garage" section there is my current mileage listed with a timestamp. I have not been to the dealership in months so the only way they have this information is to have pulled it from my truck over the air. About once a month my current mileage is updated on the site, and isn't being done by me. I let my Uconnect expire 3 years ago. I'm not paranoid they are spying on me and not concerned enough to disconnect the cell antenna over mileage updates, but FCA does has some access to my vehicle info.
View attachment 81756
Yeah they call it vehicle health report.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've been losing faith in Tfl. It straying from its original focus into many additional channels...becoming poorer quality in the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, here is my update after the AEM. I had the procedure completed 06/04/2019. Afterwards, I noticed my MPG had gone down but figured it was because of the re-gen the dealer had to do. The very next day after the procedure, I almost got t-boned when making a u-turn. I stepped on the pedal to accelerate when there was traffic coming due to the fact that I was used to the truck actually hauling ass when I stepped on the pedal. It was one of the worst feelings in the world, sitting in the middle of the road, watching traffic head towards you, and the pedal is dead. Only when I held it down for what seemed about 5 seconds did the turbo spool up and the truck went.

Here we are over two months later and my MPG has gone to crap in the city and the highway. I used to get around 20-22MPG in the city and over 26MPG on the highway. I now get around 16-17 in the city and I'm lucky if I break 22 on the highway. Turbo lag is very significant in the morning but is noticeable all day for me. I will never attempt to make a u-turn or a turn unless there is no traffic coming for quite a distance away. I have made my wife stop using the truck and use our Mazda 3 instead, because she was used to the truck taking off when stepping on the accelerator and now it's a very slow response time. I did the procedure knowing it was optional, knowing that for the amount of compensation there had to be significant drawbacks to it. I didn't want to do the procedure, but due to the fact that I have extended warranty through MOPAR, I didn't want to get denied in the future for an engine issue and have it blamed on not doing the procedure and having to fight an uphill battle.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Well, here is my update after the AEM. I had the procedure completed 06/04/2019. Afterwards, I noticed my MPG had gone down but figured it was because of the re-gen the dealer had to do. The very next day after the procedure, I almost got t-boned when making a u-turn. I stepped on the pedal to accelerate when there was traffic coming due to the fact that I was used to the truck actually hauling ass when I stepped on the pedal. It was one of the worst feelings in the world, sitting in the middle of the road, watching traffic head towards you, and the pedal is dead. Only when I held it down for what seemed about 5 seconds did the turbo spool up and the truck went.

Here we are over two months later and my MPG has gone to crap in the city and the highway. I used to get around 20-22MPG in the city and over 26MPG on the highway. I now get around 16-17 in the city and I'm lucky if I break 22 on the highway. Turbo lag is very significant in the morning but is noticeable all day for me. I will never attempt to make a u-turn or a turn unless there is no traffic coming for quite a distance away. I have made my wife stop using the truck and use our Mazda 3 instead, because she was used to the truck taking off when stepping on the accelerator and now it's a very slow response time. I did the procedure knowing it was optional, knowing that for the amount of compensation there had to be significant drawbacks to it. I didn't want to do the procedure, but due to the fact that I have extended warranty through MOPAR, I didn't want to get denied in the future for an engine issue and have it blamed on not doing the procedure and having to fight an uphill battle.
I know it's too late now, but declining the AEM will not void any warranty. Consider a tune for and your truck will run better than pre AEM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find it so unusual that some like myself are experiencing no differences whatsoever, whereas others are having serious issues.

There has got to be a simple answer, but they better figure it out ASAP.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I find it so unusual that some like myself are experiencing no differences whatsoever, whereas others are having serious issues.

There has got to be a simple answer, but they better figure it out ASAP.
Yeah it's strange.
Could it be different trucks with underlying issues?
Driving style? I know if you mash the pedal the truck is detuned. Some drive like this and some don't..
Human perception?

Several people claim to almost get killed when pulling out, etc. Some have no problem. Again is it driving style like if you typically allow a safe distance when pulling out you don't notice the lag and if you typically floor it to get out, it's now not the same?
No doubt the truck is detuned until warmed-up to about 150° F. I had the AEM completed just to try it out and once it was warmed-up I would say it was mostly back to pre AEM with my particular truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's strange how some are having issues others aren't. Talking with my service guy (3 weeks now in the shop) he stated it has been across the board what they have seen due to AEM. They have had some folks never come back others like me stuck in an infinite loop of things bursting. Others they have had to replace the entire engine and more. After the update for me I saw low power and horrible mileage. Was going to take it in but then I had a coolant leak that stems from added pressure after the AEM update.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I find it puzzling that some trucks have no change in performance after the AEM and some do. My truck seemed minimally different post AEM the first couple days, then after a few days it became terribly unresponsive. To the point where i would get honked by drivers behind me at traffic lights when i tried to accelerate and i couldn’t get up to speed at a normal rate. While i was trying to accelerate there would consistently open up about 8-9 car lengths between me and the vehicle that was stopped in front of me at a red light, even when we both take off at the same time. I’m not a lead foot driver at all, i generally give 15-20% accelerator to get moving. 4 way stop signs were embarrassing, i got to where i had to starting letting every once else go first then I would go otherwise i was the @sshole idle-ing through the entire intersection (even with my foot to the floor) making everyone wait and then speeding up as i cleared the intersection. Post AEM my mileage averages dropped to 19.25 mpg from pre AEM 20.5 mpg all hand calculated. As soon as i got my settlement check i ordered GDE hot tune and trans tune. Truck is better that it ever was Pre AEM. But those who are experiencing the performance changes with the AEM shouldn’t have to resort to a tune. FCA needs to find out what’s causing the discrepancies for some of their trucks and fix it.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts