RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
It's strange how some are having issues others aren't. Talking with my service guy (3 weeks now in the shop) he stated it has been across the board what they have seen due to AEM. They have had some folks never come back others like me stuck in an infinite loop of things bursting. Others they have had to replace the entire engine and more. After the update for me I saw low power and horrible mileage. Was going to take it in but then I had a coolant leak that stems from added pressure after the AEM update.
Tell us more about the coolant leak that stems from added pressure after the AEM update and the stuck in an infinite loop of things bursting

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
the only thing I see with pressure is :
one of the ways the EGR fails , and sends exhaust pressure into coolant portion of EGR ,
bringing pressure in cooling system above the 21Psi rated Cap on the degas bottle , lifting the cap and
sending coolant down the tube that starts under the degas bottle .( images )
None of the few different EGR cooler fails are good , that failure would not send
coolant into intake , but once the engine is turned off , some coolant is going down the exhaust
that EGR cooler has to be under high surveillance all the time ,looking for the first sign of coolant going down ,
that's why I like the fact that the bottle is right in your face every time you open the hood .

reason why I added a lenght of tubing to the tube from under the bottle ,
if the coolant in the bottle goes down , I'll look in my Mayo jar for the pink stuff ,
if there is nothing in there , the coolant will have taken the intake or exhaust route .
pictures of that in here : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/diy-how-section/56513-degas-bottle-lower-tube-extension.html

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tell us more about the coolant leak that stems from added pressure after the AEM update and the stuck in an infinite loop of things bursting
All I know is that after taking the AEM I had the same low throttle on take off and poor mileage.. 14.5 average .. was 21 prior to AEM. No crazy driving just around town and to work. Had a bad a coolant leak .. short clip of after arriving home. and truck wouldn't keep coolant anymore.. Towed it to the dealership and in the never ending cycle.. First thing to be replaced was a banjo bolt and turbo wastegate tube. Went to go pick it up and the dealership said I blew a hose, they replaced that and they blew another hose. Next they said I had to replace my exhaust manifold and another banjo bolt. When I pried what is going on the service adviser said the AEM is putting too much added pressure and stress on the engines and this is why this is happening. Now 3 weeks later they are still replacing parts in my truck, each new time the technician will take it out for a drive any something else bursts. That is all I know..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, hopefully I will find out.. Just going off of what the service advisor at the dealership is telling me. He has been very open and honest with me I feel like when I am prodding, they brought an inspector to make sure the work would be covered under the extended warranty and they approved it so .. will see. But thanks yeah I just want it back so I can sell it or drive it off a cliff and get a cummins.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Yeah, hopefully I will find out.. Just going off of what the service advisor at the dealership is telling me. He has been very open and honest with me I feel like when I am prodding, they brought an inspector to make sure the work would be covered under the extended warranty and they approved it so .. will see. But thanks yeah I just want it back so I can sell it or drive it off a cliff and get a cummins.
Maybe you could trade while it's in the shop?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe you could trade while it's in the shop?
That is a whole other issue. There is another thread that I responded to on the forums about this. I asked a sales person if they would be willing to trake my truck in as a trade while it is in the shop, originally said yeah, let me just talk to the service adviser so I can take a look and call you back. No response.. Called my service adviser and he said the sales manager refused to make an offer as they don't want to deal with the V08 recalled eco-diesels and just want to wash their hands of the mess. Needless to say once the sales floor is open this morning going to call in and see what they have to say to me. Very fishy that a dodge dealership won't take a dodge truck.. even for sale at an auction once repaired.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
That is a whole other issue. There is another thread that I responded to on the forums about this. I asked a sales person if they would be willing to trake my truck in as a trade while it is in the shop, originally said yeah, let me just talk to the service adviser so I can take a look and call you back. No response.. Called my service adviser and he said the sales manager refused to make an offer as they don't want to deal with the V08 recalled eco-diesels and just want to wash their hands of the mess. Needless to say once the sales floor is open this morning going to call in and see what they have to say to me. Very fishy that a dodge dealership won't take a dodge truck.. even for sale at an auction once repaired.
Oh yeah. I forgot that was you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If a dealer likes the franchise's tag and wants to stay in business they never deny a trade for a ram truck at a ram truck dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If a dealer likes the franchise's tag and wants to stay in business they never deny a trade for a ram truck at a ram truck dealer.
Will be sure to post my results after I talk to the sales manager this morning to understand why they refused to take my trade-in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
All I know is that after taking the AEM I had the same low throttle on take off and poor mileage.. 14.5 average .. was 21 prior to AEM. No crazy driving just around town and to work. Had a bad a coolant leak .. short clip of after arriving home. and truck wouldn't keep coolant anymore.. Towed it to the dealership and in the never ending cycle.. First thing to be replaced was a banjo bolt and turbo wastegate tube. Went to go pick it up and the dealership said I blew a hose, they replaced that and they blew another hose. Next they said I had to replace my exhaust manifold and another banjo bolt. When I pried what is going on the service adviser said the AEM is putting too much added pressure and stress on the engines and this is why this is happening. Now 3 weeks later they are still replacing parts in my truck, each new time the technician will take it out for a drive any something else bursts. That is all I know..

SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE AS ME. LITERALLY WORD FOR WORD. EGR went, leaked coolant into intake manifold (vehicle ran rough as a result), turbo hose kept blowing off also. Now they are looking at the turbo and the ENTIRE exhaust system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
If you owned the dealership......would you be buying AEM modified Ecodiesels, broken or otherwise? I sure as hell wouldn't be.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE AS ME. LITERALLY WORD FOR WORD. EGR went, leaked coolant into intake manifold (vehicle ran rough as a result), turbo hose kept blowing off also. Now they are looking at the turbo and the ENTIRE exhaust system.
That's good , you don't want them to just replace the EGR .
the coolant will have ruined everything downstream in the exhaust , very costly parts .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tomorrow they are re-replacing the exhaust manifold, the egr valve, and the intake manifold.. crossing fingers something doesn't blow again. Sad to hear you are having the same problem, but re-assuring to know that I am not the only one with this exact problem.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Maybe GDE can shed some light on the new AEM software. From my understanding they upped the egr flow with this AEM and old partially plugged egr coolers are overheating and blowing up.

That also helps us understand why regens are more frequent with new tune. MORE EGR =MORE SOOT=MORE REGENS. These motor will really choke to death now if they werent before.

Even if owners are not noticing any difference/lag with this AEM now they will eventually end up plagued with multiple issues down the road.

Added pressure on cooling system comes from increased flow of exhaust gases threw the egr cooler. Cooler gets more heat soaked from the exhaust gases now and puts the heat in the cooling system. Not good. Think there is another lawsuit comming rams way if they dont do something about this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe GDE can shed some light on the new AEM software. From my understanding they upped the egr flow with this AEM and old partially plugged egr coolers are overheating and blowing up.

That also helps us understand why regens are more frequent with new tune. MORE EGR =MORE SOOT=MORE REGENS. These motor will really choke to death now if they werent before.

Even if owners are not noticing any difference/lag with this AEM now they will eventually end up plagued with multiple issues down the road.

Added pressure on cooling system comes from increased flow of exhaust gases threw the egr cooler. Cooler gets more heat soaked from the exhaust gases now and puts the heat in the cooling system. Not good. Think there is another lawsuit comming rams way if they dont do something about this.
I think you are correct, and yeah what you said is what my service adviser has been telling me is the problem they are seeing with the AEM update, too much heat and pressure. Everything about this smells fishy. Talked to the Lawyer today and they have all sorts of questions about post AEM work .. have to send them all my service records so they can reach out to FCA.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts

I saw the opposite on regens after the AEM. Her's my original report "Almost 200 miles and the soot level went from 10% to 28%, At this rate I’m looking at over 500 miles before a regen. I was very surprised to see post AEM soot accumulation 5X less than stock."
What do you know about FCA upping the EGR flow? I'm not saying they didn't. I don't know the exact parameters that were altered with the AEM. I do know the trucks now use more DEF which (might) indicate less EGR flow.

Also from my original report "EGT’s seem to be higher with the AEM. Even on a slight hill at highway speeds I’m seeing 1000+ degrees. I wonder if there’s less EGR and more DEF consumption to control NOx. If so, this could partly explain the reduced soot."

Bottom line, It's all speculation at this point in time.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Not sure if this applies to the EcoDiesel’s Emissions compliance ,But the EPA did adjust the NOX calibration requirements, What the EPA did was allow more NOX gases at startup and low speeds, which means less unburnt soot introduced into a cold engine, But less NOX gases at higher speeds , which a hot scr handles this issue ,no problem,just higher def consumption...

Now the EPA did allow VW to recalibrate their buybacks to the newly developed standards ,not old standards which all the manufacturers had complained about low engine temperatures soot production causing issues....

It seems like the EPA did try to help the situation a little tiny bit ....But the EPA seems to be extremely firm with a required EGR....

·
Registered
458 Posts

I saw the opposite on regens after the AEM. Her's my original report "Almost 200 miles and the soot level went from 10% to 28%, At this rate I’m looking at over 500 miles before a regen. I was very surprised to see post AEM soot accumulation 5X less than stock."
What do you know about FCA upping the EGR flow? I'm not saying they didn't. I don't know the exact parameters that were altered with the AEM. I do know the trucks now use more DEF which (might) indicate less EGR flow.

Also from my original report "EGT’s seem to be higher with the AEM. Even on a slight hill at highway speeds I’m seeing 1000+ degrees. I wonder if there’s less EGR and more DEF consumption to control NOx. If so, this could partly explain the reduced soot."

Bottom line, It's all speculation at this point in time.
Speculation from myself too untill somebody actually looks in the software to see the changes. Some users are reporting more frequent regens but looks yours is opposite. Either way if the egr is flowing less now and egts are higher on your truck it cant be good either. With higher egts means the egr cooler has to now see even higher egts then before the AEM. Same exhaust flows thru the egr cooler that flows down the exhaust. I am still waiting for GDE to shed some light over this new AEM.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts