RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Bighorn Eco-D 60k miles
Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update and few other Safety recalls I had put off.

Towing Camper back from a 50 minute trip. When I got off highway and started to ramp back up to speed, when dash lit up with "Trailer brake not connected" (I use aftermarket one) then throttle stopped responding and I coasted to side of road. Truck no longer would start...... Starter would just crank.

Someone stopped with a code reader, And told me (I should have got pictures) Electronic Throttle, and some Transmission code.

I got someone to come tow my Camper home, and Got Truck towed to dealership.

That was 10 days ago. I'm waiting on a call back this am, but as of Thursday last week, they don't know what the problem is. Because codes were all gone once We tried to disconnect the battery on side of road in hopes we could re-set computer so it would start and I could limp it home.... But no dice.

Very similar to IDOSEADOO's account

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/62154-ecodiesel-stalled-while-driving-wont-start.html

Should this be covered under emissions warranty?

·
Registered
640 Posts
If something listed on the settlement extended warranty has malfunctioned, the answer should be yes. If something not listed on the extended warranty has malfunctioned, more than likely the answer is no.

After you are provided with a repair diagnosis, compare that to the components listed on the extended warranty. Contained within that list will be your answer.

Also, you may still have power train warranty remaining on your vehicle. The repair may or may not be covered under the power train warranty,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heard back from dealership..... They still don't know what's wrong with it. They have their "master" technician looking at it now.... and he has contacted FCA for help troubleshooting it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A friend relayed a story of rescuing someone with the exact symptoms here in Washington recently. They were towing a trailer over one of the local summits and the truck stopped dead in the right lane of the road. My friend towed him to a pull-off. Same trailer brake message and crank with no start. I don't know the year of the truck or if it had the AEM.

Ed

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update and few other Safety recalls I had put off.

Towing Camper back from a 50 minute trip. When I got off highway and started to ramp back up to speed, when dash lit up with "Trailer brake not connected" (I use aftermarket one) then throttle stopped responding and I coasted to side of road. Truck no longer would start...... Starter would just crank.

Someone stopped with a code reader, And told me (I should have got pictures) Electronic Throttle, and some Transmission code.

I got someone to come tow my Camper home, and Got Truck towed to dealership.

That was 10 days ago. I'm waiting on a call back this am, but as of Thursday last week, they don't know what the problem is. Because codes were all gone once We tried to disconnect the battery on side of road in hopes we could re-set computer so it would start and I could limp it home.... But no dice.

Very similar to IDOSEADOO's account

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/62154-ecodiesel-stalled-while-driving-wont-start.html

Codes don't get wiped from disconnecting the battery. thats old-school stuff that doesn't work on any newer vehicles.

Your issue, is likely either the ECU died (its a computer - they can go bad) or you have a major connector that just got disconnected. happens.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Find another dealer. It's a diesel. Only three ingredients, fuel, air, cranking. That's it.
And all above mentioned has to be timed properly or it will not start, There’s been quite a few reluctor rings flinging apart and cracking, One dealership kept telling one of our members saying it was a bad ECU the owner removed the ECU sent it to GDE to be checked, GDE sent it back stating it was OK most likely a bad reluctor ring , Guess who correctly diagnosed the issue? GDE....

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update ........... Starter would just crank.

Without a code , impossible to guess what is going on .
completely refuses to start ,,,a guess ,, reluctor ring as others have said , and that is included in the post AEM extended warranty .

in case you wonder what reluctor ring is , it is located beween the engine and transmission ,
a ring with code bars glued to it , and a reader called "crankcase position sensor " , sometimes
a piece of the glued code bar flies off , (( as in last picture , half inch strip missing )) then the truck will NEVER start again until replaced .

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just called me because they can't get my battery to take a charge so they can't continue to test it........ So they want to replace it..... I said.... "you don't have a battery you can put in it to continue testing" Nope.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So i just had my re flash done and truck is driving fine but my oil reset is indicating i need an oil change now. did they change the specs on the oil life again. I have 4500 miles since last oil change and it used to be 9000 then 7000. So I'm a cheapskate and dont really want to shell out the 120 to change it before my road trip of around 1200 miles. Has anyone heard anything? I would like to push it and change when i get back but dont need anything that could void warranty. being i already killed 2.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
So i just had my re flash done and truck is driving fine but my oil reset is indicating i need an oil change now. did they change the specs on the oil life again. I have 4500 miles since last oil change and it used to be 9000 then 7000. So I'm a cheapskate and dont really want to shell out the 120 to change it before my road trip of around 1200 miles. Has anyone heard anything? I would like to push it and change when i get back but dont need anything that could void warranty. being i already killed 2.
They forgot to reset the oil life, Just reset it and make a mental note to change it at 7000 miles if that's where it was before the update

·
Registered
41 Posts
They forgot to reset the oil life, Just reset it and make a mental note to change it at 7000 miles if that's where it was before the update
I didn't have the oil changed when i took it in. i just had the recalls and the def system fixed. but the oil indicated i had about 40% left before i took it in and now says 0%. I talked to the dealer and he doesnt know anything about it. they also took their sticker off my window.

·
Registered
433 Posts
They didn't apply flash correctly - part of it is resetting oil life indicator to where it was before AEM flash done. You are fine, just note mileage when reset to 0 and when you get to 7000 miles from last actual oil change, than change it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
this truck makes me nervous. i guess ill just change it in case i blow another motor. then they cant say anything. im starting to get up there with miles. haven't had a motor last more than 35000. I have become a humbled truck owner. i never brag about this ram im just happy when i get there

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh thank god.Thanks Ransom This is the best place for information. FCA is full of some real special people. i just spend an hour on the phone with them. asking if anything has changed to the specs and they are so useless. i have lost another hour of my life to them. called dealer and they are clueless and dont know anything either. FCA lady then said read my owners manual. oh boy why didnt i think of that. Except mine still say the low ash euro oil at 10,000 mile interval so how good is that.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Funny. That lady outdid all those experienced mechanical service people.

FCA never notified owners of their oil specification change. You can use the old or the new. I suggest T^ Rotella but do what you want. Many of us used the original specs for tens of thousands of miles or more with no issues.

Always keep a log of your service. Write it on pages in the back of your book. Date, what you did (or had done) and mileage. Then simply calculate when the next service might be needed. Simple. Owners been doing that since they first made vehicles over 100 years ago. Doesn't matter if or when you re-set the oil life indicator. That's just a bit of computer hookum.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
To answer the OP's original question, yes I believe the diagnosis of the problem should be part of the emissions extended warranty. Once they find the problem it may or may not be part of the warranty. However, if they change things to try and fix it and it doesn't fix it those costs should be considered diagnosis imho. Look at the warranty pages they should have given you when you had the scan done. On the backside of the first sheet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Funny. That lady outdid all those experienced mechanical service people.

FCA never notified owners of their oil specification change. You can use the old or the new. I suggest T^ Rotella but do what you want. Many of us used the original specs for tens of thousands of miles or more with no issues.

Always keep a log of your service. Write it on pages in the back of your book. Date, what you did (or had done) and mileage. Then simply calculate when the next service might be needed. Simple. Owners been doing that since they first made vehicles over 100 years ago. Doesn't matter if or when you re-set the oil life indicator. That's just a bit of computer hookum.

Yea i keep records of my oil changes Receipts and everything I just didnt want another failure to happen and then for FCA to say well there is new oil specs and not cover it. I Want to keep the truck for a few more years. But with 2 engine failures and 1 def system failure. I need to make sure Im in the clear for when the next problem arises. I picked this truck and im committed to it till the end of the warranty. I hate headaches but i love money :cool: heres to hoping 3 years of just regular maintenance ahead. on the good side after the second motor FCA will extend the powertrain warranty. the swethearts

1 - 20 of 65 Posts