RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Oh oh. Now it reads like that dealer is a loser.

Hope it works out easily though that's not a good start. Of course you are looking for a "good start".

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To answer the OP's original question, yes I believe the diagnosis of the problem should be part of the emissions extended warranty. Once they find the problem it may or may not be part of the warranty. However, if they change things to try and fix it and it doesn't fix it those costs should be considered diagnosis imho. Look at the warranty pages they should have given you when you had the scan done. On the backside of the first sheet
They Changed the battery and have now ordered a "Crankshaft Position Sensor" Hopefully that fixes it, and they don't have to change Reluctor Ring....

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
While they have the transmission removed If they do not replace the reluctor ring ,IMOP.... Their idiot’s ....
Yes , Idiots , never heard of the sensor itself failing , always the ring ,
price of ring : +/- $ 60 US
price of sensor : over $400 US
your tech is retarded , and is doing things backwards ,,,,, if you are going to risk not replacing one of the 2 , it should be the sensor ,
and even then , it would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
They Changed the battery and have now ordered a "Crankshaft Position Sensor" Hopefully that fixes it, and they don't have to change Reluctor Ring....
The ring is the cheap part and it's also the more likely part to have failed. Make them change it even if you have to pay for it. The big cost in this situation is the labor. So, since they'll already have the transmission out you won't have to pay that.

While they have the transmission removed If they do not replace the reluctor ring ,IMOP.... Their idiot’s ....
*They're

Yes , Idiots , never heard of the sensor itself failing , always the ring ,
price of ring : +/- $ 60 US
price of sensor : over $400 US
your tech is retarded , and is doing things backwards ,,,,, if you are going to risk not replacing one of the 2 , it should be the sensor ,
and even then , it would not be a good idea.
Seriously! You have two of us telling you this. So once again: It is MUCH more likely that the reluctor ring has failed since it has a history of rusting which pushes the magnets until they no longer have the correct contact/position on the ring. Maybe they'll discover that when they get the truck apart, but I find it hard to have that much faith in your dealership. I think the "mechanics" are just parts changers and they'll just replace the part they are told to. Then they'll have to take it completely apart again and replace the correct part. Hopefully. But maybe not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They are working on dropping the transmission, and are going to inspect the Reluctor ring as well. They are picking me up at home today to get me a loaner till it's finished

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
7/18/2019 Update.....

I had their loner car for the extended weekend..... Tuesday they got the truck back together after changing Crankshaft position sensor, and inspecting Reluctor ring.

Truck still does not fire up.

They gave me a 2018 Eco-Diesel as a loner Because the Wife and I are heading to Outer Banks for a few days with the camper......

Lets see If I can break their truck!

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
First I even heard of a loaner so you can tow. Good response by that dealer. We have been critical but now, though they have yet to find and fix the problem, they sure are cooperative.

Enjoy the trip and may future post on this all be positive.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
cooperative but dumb , if they really only " inspected" the reluctor ring ,
-the trsansmission is pulled from the engine ,
-they change the crank position sensor ,
-AND they leave the old reluctor ring in place , the least expensive part , and part most likely to fail ...
unless they love doing work over and over and get paid by FCA .
I would be worried the did not know how to set up the new sensor in sync with the ring .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
cooperative but dumb , if they really only " inspected" the reluctor ring ,
-the trsansmission is pulled from the engine ,
-they change the crank position sensor ,
-AND they leave the old reluctor ring in place , the least expensive part , and part most likely to fail ...
unless they love doing work over and over and get paid by FCA .
I would be worried the did not know how to set up the new sensor in sync with the ring .
I have sent all the details of this ordeal to FCA in an email this am...... since I'm going on day 25 with no solution.

Capt: Thanks I plan on enjoying myself and drinking till i forget my truck is still broken!

FYI, I ended up in their shop, pulling my Trailer brake and cable, and the Neutral release cover (which I mount the brake to) out of my truck and installing it in the 2018 (that has never been towed with)

Will see here in the next hour how this truck pulls compared to mine.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
After 30 days of your truck being out of service while being repaired under the extended warranty you are eligible for a Buyback!

Paragraph 45.d of the consent decree:

Buyback and Lease Termination Remedies. In addition to any protections
provided by applicable law (including those referenced in Paragraph 45.e below), Defendants must
provide a Buyback or Lease Termination to any Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee of an Eligible
Vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification in the event that, during the 18 months or
18,000 miles (whichever comes first) following the completion of the Approved Emissions Modification
(the “Remedy Period”), Defendants fail to repair or remedy a confirmed failure or malfunction covered
by the Extended Warranty and associated with the Approved Emissions Modification (a “Warrantable
Failure”) after the Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee physically presents the Subject Vehicle to a Dealer
for repair of the Warrantable Failure; and (i) the Warrantable Failure is unable to be remedied after
making 4 separate service visits to the same Dealer for the same Warrantable Failure during the Remedy
Period; or (ii) the Subject Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out-of-service due to the Warrantable
Failure for a cumulative total of 30 days during the Remedy Period
, not including any days when the
Dealer returns or otherwise tenders the Subject Vehicle to the customer while the Dealer awaits
necessary parts and such vehicle remains Operable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I Kinda of like my truck! and will continue to drive theirs till they fix mine...... (hopefully they don't give up!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Called dealership yesterday, (it would seem like they never update me unless I call them) They said they had ordered a Hi Pressure fuel pump and lines.

Also.
Got Reply from FCA Late last night. waiting on the call sometime today...

Hello Aaron;

Thank you for contacting Ram Customer Care.

I can understand the dissatisfaction that you feel, given the issues you have with your vehicle. I want to guarantee that we take the appropriate steps to ensure your concerns are addressed, and ultimately resolved as best as possible.
Your email has been reviewed and, due to the nature of your concern, I would like to forward your case to our Case Management department for their attention and response.

Escalating your situation to a Case Manager will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concerns, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have your vehicle issues addressed and resolved. They will reach out to you within 1 business day.

Thank you again for your email Aaron. Have a great day.

Best wishes,
Jocelyn
Ram Customer Care

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Today marks 30 calander days since they got my truck (not counting the sunday I had it towed there)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Today marks 30 calander days since they got my truck (not counting the sunday I had it towed there)
They could have mine anytime as long as I could drive and put miles on one of there's :) About a year would make me one of the happiest guys around !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Called Dealership today (last i heard from them was a week or so ago).

High pressure fuel pump on back order.

I'm still driving their 2018 Eco-Deisel.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Update: Still no truck, 46 Days....
Last I heard from FCA (who called the dealer) Is that Pump should arrive this Friday (8/9)

Heard from Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP Paralegal, Who went over with me what had transpired so far.
She Suggested I go to dealership and see what paperwork I can get from them on what has been done to date.

and asked for copies of my original V08 Paperwork from dealership. Going to dealership tomorrow to see what my truck looks like and to see what paperwork I can get.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Update: Still no truck, 46 Days....
Last I heard from FCA (who called the dealer) Is that Pump should arrive this Friday (8/9)

Heard from Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP Paralegal, Who went over with me what had transpired so far.
She Suggested I go to dealership and see what paperwork I can get from them on what has been done to date.

and asked for copies of my original V08 Paperwork from dealership. Going to dealership tomorrow to see what my truck looks like and to see what paperwork I can get.
46 days is insane.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Went to Dealership yesterday, Pump was installed, But Fuel pressures are not remaining constant. NOW they are going to drop the Tranny AGAIN, and Replace Reluctor Ring!!!! I laughed when the service manager told me that..... I said, why didn't you replace it when you had it out the 1st time?
"Tech said it looked good"

Service manager is emailing me what has been done so far with a time line. Couple days...

We complained about not being able to take Loner out of state , and we have a end of aug trip planned to leave state again, He said he's reaching out to their insurance company to see what they can do, or he will put me in a rental that I can go anywhere in. (and pull camper)

He hopes to have my truck back by then, I explained i'm already seeking a buyback, since it's been in the 46+ days as of yesterday.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Went to Dealership yesterday, Pump was installed, But Fuel pressures are not remaining constant. NOW they are going to drop the Tranny AGAIN, and Replace Reluctor Ring!!!! I laughed when the service manager told me that..... I said, why didn't you replace it when you had it out the 1st time?
"Tech said it looked good"

Service manager is emailing me what has been done so far with a time line. Couple days...

We complained about not being able to take Loner out of state , and we have a end of aug trip planned to leave state again, He said he's reaching out to their insurance company to see what they can do, or he will put me in a rental that I can go anywhere in. (and pull camper)

He hopes to have my truck back by then, I explained i'm already seeking a buyback, since it's been in the 46+ days as of yesterday.
Wow

21 - 40 of 65 Posts