RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, but I've lurking for a couple of weeks. I am potentially interested in a new EcoDiesel Ram, so I know I'm in the right place! It's good to read a forum that is helpful and without all the negative attitudes present on many other forums. I currently have a clean diesel-Mercedes GLK250. It's a great vechicle, but now that there is a light duty truck available with a smaller clean diesel, I am really wanting to go back to the having the utility of a truck. I know I'll take a fuel mileage hit, as the MB regularly gets 37+mpg, acutally never averaged below 35mpg for any tank in 24k miles. I should be able to get 28-30mpg in the EcoDiesel.

I'll probably buy off the lot, if I can find what I want. I have someone interested in buying my current car, so I'll need to move quickly into another vehicle, if the deal goes down.

I have a few questions, so please chime in if you have any input:

1) Can I really expect to get 9-10K off sticker on a Laramie? Anybody done it in NC?
2) If the UConnect 8.4 is NOT Nav enabled from the factory, is it just a dealer download to get Nav? Is it a memory-based nav, opposed to a cell signal based nav?
3) Are dealers willing to trade around the EcoDiesel models to get what I want?

I'm really liking the Laramie with the two-tone paint. Gray/siver, metallic red/silver and even white/silver or the bronze/gold combos. I definitely do not want a sunroof, but many of the Laramie models have it.

Sorry for the extra long post, but I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Greetings, and welcome, Mike

1. If you shop around and get quotes from several dealerships, there is a good chance you could that much off. You want to start with paying no more than invoice. I started at $800 below invoice and then $4000 in1 incentives. I paid about 9-10 below MSRP + taxes, extended warranty, and a couple other accessories.

2. NAV can be enabled by the dealership. Don't know about memory etc.

3. I suppose, but really depends on the dealerships.

Reactions: Skiff Man

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would search all the dodge dealerships online within reasonable driving distance from your home. If you find one that meets your requirements make an offer online. I am too old to go to a dealership and sit around an entire day while the salesman runs back and forth for hours talking to the sales manager trying to wear me down so I will buy at their price. I ordered mine in April and it should be here within 2 weeks and i sent them a $1000 deposit to order the truck for me. The dealership in Greenville is 1.5 hours from my house and I will go there for the first time when my truck arrives.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. From my research, it appears that invoice is approx. 90% of MSRP. Is that correct?

I don't want to get too far into the process, until I'm sure the buyer for my current car is actually going to take it, so I hate to ask for quotes from dealerships until closer to time to deal.

I have contacted my local dealer about an in-coming truck, but it's not what I want, just has the EcoDiesel engine. I've bought a van from from them in the past and it was one of the most positive car-buying experiences, so I'm hoping that hasn't changed. I haven't actually been there, yet. I prefer to deal locally, but I'm willing to travel, as necessary for a great deal.

Please relay any good or bad dealer experiences in North Carolina/South Carolina area.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Living closer to Greensboro and other larger cities you can begin your search for dealers. Then check their inventory to see if the is something you like. Here in Eastern NC I doubt if any Ecodiesels are arriving that weren't custom ordered, like Skiff Man's truck.

Other tools you might use, autotrader.com. They can search several hundreds of miles out, more if need be. The ramtruck.com site will search dealers inventory too.

Yes, with incentives on a loaded out truck, $9-10K may be possible. Ram window stickers are really inflated.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The Uconnect 8.4AN IS a nav unit. it's hard drive based. Not sure WHAT you're reading about not enabled from the factory.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Uconnect 8.4AN IS a nav unit. it's hard drive based. Not sure WHAT you're reading about not enabled from the factory.
If it is an 8.4A then you can activate the Nav side of the unit at the dealership for $500-600. You don't get a couple features that come with the factory authorized 8.4AN unit, the AN includes HD radio, 3d mapping and SiriusXM traffic and travel link and apparently can NOT be turned on with dealer activation.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to hold out for one with the factory enabled Nav. I doesn't make any sense to pay the dealer $500-600 when you can get extra features for the same price from the factory. HD radio is nice to have as an option. Not sure what the benefits of 3-D mapping, traffic and travel link might be.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you have SiriusXM service it overlays the traffic on the map and will adjust your route to the fastest route as you go. Travel link apparently has extended POI with gas prices, assuming it uses the same system from SiriusXM as Ford and can tell you it worked well in my dad's truck. Below a quarter tank it popped up gas stations with diesel and prices if available.

It worked during the last free trial period for SiriusXM on his truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts