RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change my oil in my 2014 (83,000 miles) today and noticed an oil leak. I have had 0 problems with my truck and have owned it for nearly 6 years now (so it is out of warranty). It looks like the leak is likely from the lower left timing cover. I just wanted to get some thoughts based on my pictures here. Most of the pictures are taken from near the alternator (passenger side). My second concern is the crack that you will see in some of the photos. I can't see this with my eyes and only noticed it by shoving my phone between things to get pictures so its hard for me to say exactly where it is. I think it is the lower left timing cover also, but not 100% sure. I plan on trying to clean up the seepage tomorrow and watching it to get a better idea where the leak is. Does this look like a lower left timing cover leak? Has anyone else experienced a crack like this, should I be concerned if something else is wrong? Who knows how long it has been there since it isn't directly visible... I'm thinking about attempting to tackle this job myself. If it is indeed what I think it is, has anyone else done this themselves? Any tips?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts

I have no personal experience in repairing this problem, but have read some posts on this. I've linked a discussion from this forum that will hopefully help.
It looks to be a pretty big job, however the lower left is suppose to be the easiest to fix.

That may not be a crack at all. Could be just material left over from casting the metal and a shadow effect from the camera. I've seen this myself on my transfer case. Thought it was cracked but it wasn't. If it was cracked, I would think you would see oil pouring out from it and from the pics it looks clean.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have no personal experience in repairing this problem, but have read some posts on this. I've linked a discussion from this forum that will hopefully help.
It looks to be a pretty big job, however the lower left is suppose to be the easiest to fix.

That may not be a crack at all. Could be just material left over from casting the metal and a shadow effect from the camera. I've seen this myself on my transfer case. Thought it was cracked but it wasn't. If it was cracked, I would think you would see oil pouring out from it and from the pics it looks clean.
I was thinking/hoping the same thing about the "crack". I gotta get it cleaned up today and see if I can fit my hand down there and feel for it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Looks like you were spot on with that "crack". I took off my front bumper and the harmonic balancer cover to get a better look at what's going on. I took a picture of the exact same area, no crack. Must be the angle from sticking my phone down there from the top catching the imperfection of the cast iron. Here's two pictures from the same area. One looks it has a crack, the other doesn't.

Looks like you were spot on with that "crack". I took off my front bumper and the harmonic balancer cover to get a better look at what's going on. I took a picture of the exact same area, no crack. Must be the angle from sticking my phone down there from the top catching the imperfection of the cast iron. Here's two pictures from the same area. One looks it has a crack, the other doesn't. So I guess that's good news. Cleaning up now to see if I can figure out where it's coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Found two leaky bolts. One towards the top of the lower timing cover and one towards the bottom of the upper left timing cover. They didn't feel loose, but tightened them a tad and seems to be good to go now. Probably need to put some thread sealant on them. I know it's probably the gaskets, but I'll keep an eye on it see if it comes back before getting in to a project like that. This picture is the leak from the lower timing cover, this developed after about five minutes of the engine running and is leaking from the bolt head and the back of the timing cover.

Also found a leak on the upper oil plan seeping from a bolt. Guess she is just turning in to your class diesel. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts