RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm looking to remove the current ICI Magnum drop steps I have on the truck for some power boards.

I've glanced at several, but figured I'd poll the crew here, see who had what, and go from there. I'm looking at them because everything else that tucks closer to the truck is also harder to use by my grandmother and my two small nieces. They don't get into it often, but I don't want to risk a fall. $1500 now is better than a hospital visit!

-Love the fact that they will be out of sight when up, and have a history - some good, some bad.
-The XL versions look clunky when up

-The extended drop and second step seems cool, but it looks like it would be pretty noticeable when up.
-Not a big fan of the magnetic switch design, even if it does leave my OBD port free for my CTS2.

• Better price point
  • Magnetic switch
  • Not sure if I want ROLLING BIG POWER plastered down the side of my truck
  • Motors look more robust than the AMP steps
5th Gen MOPAR power boards
  • OEM quality
  • Similar price point ($12-1500)
  • Would have to talk to someone about getting a custom harness made.
  • Would need custom wiring.
Which ones do you guys have? Which ones work best for you? Any pros/cons?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had the AMP steps on my '15 since new with no issues. I bought a cheap OBD splitter off Amazon so my OBD port is open. When down they are lower and further from truck than a fixed step.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have had standard issue AMP boards for almost 4 years now. They are quick to deploy, safe, and smooth. Parents, grandparents, wife, kids, they all love them. Everything except the washers have held up just fine in the salt belt too. So I can recommend them without hesitation. Install wasn’t bad either.

That said, I’d like to see RBPs in person. I like the idea of 2 motors per board. Not sure about the magnetic switch. The OBD port plug in is what AMP uses. Works like it should.

Had my lil buddy testing them out back when I installed them. Brings back fond memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had standard issue AMP boards for almost 4 years now. They are quick to deploy, safe, and smooth. Parents, grandparents, wife, kids, they all love them. Everything except the washers have held up just fine in the salt belt too. So I can recommend them without hesitation. Install wasn’t bad either.

That said, I’d like to see RBPs in person. I like the idea of 2 motors per board. Not sure about the magnetic switch. The OBD port plug in is what AMP uses. Works like it should.

Had my lil buddy testing them out back when I installed them. Brings back fond memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys for all the feedback.... @RossCountyRam, I remember seeing that picture doing my research!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, I'm looking to remove the current ICI Magnum drop steps I have on the truck for some power boards.

I've glanced at several, but figured I'd poll the crew here, see who had what, and go from there. I'm looking at them because everything else that tucks closer to the truck is also harder to use by my grandmother and my two small nieces. They don't get into it often, but I don't want to risk a fall. $1500 now is better than a hospital visit!

-Love the fact that they will be out of sight when up, and have a history - some good, some bad.
-The XL versions look clunky when up

-The extended drop and second step seems cool, but it looks like it would be pretty noticeable when up.
-Not a big fan of the magnetic switch design, even if it does leave my OBD port free for my CTS2.

• Better price point
  • Magnetic switch
  • Not sure if I want ROLLING BIG POWER plastered down the side of my truck
  • Motors look more robust than the AMP steps
5th Gen MOPAR power boards
  • OEM quality
  • Similar price point ($12-1500)
  • Would have to talk to someone about getting a custom harness made.
  • Would need custom wiring.
Which ones do you guys have? Which ones work best for you? Any pros/cons?
I have the AMP Research power steps on my 2017 1500, they were originally a dealer install from my '15, but when it got totalled and insurance didn't include them in the value when totalled, I kept them....
The install is easy, mine doesn't use OBD connection, so I had to find the individual door light switches, added about 45 minutes.
I have a buddy with an '03 2500 we installed the AMP Steps on and it came with an adapter kit and mag switches, they work great.
As far as the OBD2 splitters, I use one for my Banks Her finger, don't go full cheap, the plugs break....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another vote for AMP here. installed mine about a year and half ago. I went with the kit that didn't include the OBD plug specifically to keep the port open for the cts2. The biggest PITA for install was getting them adjusted so they didn't hit the pinch weld, but otherwise they work flawlessly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts